• Full closet 200

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:26 pm
Aaaw. ^-^ Cute pictures. Nice to see another thoroughbred owner (or co-owner, or even knows one well)! And horse blanket-er. Seems most the people I meet nowadays don't believe in it.....  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 pm
I had a throughbred named jirachi...We had to blanket him but none of our blankets fitbhim because he was a giant!!!He passed a few years back,Throughbreds can be really gentle once you get to know them.  

Tranquilise

Beloved Sex Symbol

10,825 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Christizzle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:57 am
@Lady Lagomorph: Yes people are very opinionated about what is and isn't good for their animals. In the interest of minimizing my horses chances of acquiring rain rot I blanket them.. I live in Seattle, it rains.. just a bit... wink
Jake is a family horse, I do lower level dressage with him and he is my sister's 4-H horse.. He's off-track (we've had him 4 yrs) his racing name was 'Jake Russel'and he is so so sweet.
The Percheron is MY horse.

@Shanna: Thanks! biggrin

@Sammy: Really? We bought his blankie from Dover and he's 17.1. And the percheron (Thor) is 17.3..
Thoroughbreds are wonderful horses definately.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:11 am
whats wrong with blankets?  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 am
They are so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also want horses some day! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:38 pm
Shanna66
whats wrong with blankets?
Some people think they're silly and unnecessary for horses. Other people think their useful for horses in certain conditions. I was taught in an English competition-oriented stable where all the horses got blankets, and my guy doesn't get much of a winter coat, so it's normal to me. To people used to more rugged horses or breeds, they see it as useless. It's all how you're raised with it, I think.

Christizzle: Yeah, that sounds like a really reasonable thing to do, with all that rain! Ours are mostly for cold - Foxy's "winter coat" is probably half an inch thick, maybe up to an inch on scattered parts of his legs, and he gets runny noses in too cold of weather. Finding sizes can be a challenge sometimes. o.0 Foxy's only 16.1 hands, but he's got a really deep barrel. He takes between 82-84. Any smaller, and his rear end starts hanging out.

Foxy's been off-track since he was six, but we got him at 14. He's now 25. 3nodding I love thoroughbreds. I don't agree with the state of the horse racing industry, but I must say horses from it are really used to being worked with. Things like vets/farriers/etc. have never been an issue with him.

And I have to throw in the obligatory love for draft breed horses. =) Thor is very handsome.

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:36 pm
I dont use blankets unless I have to,mostly cause my horse HATES it,and he will throw a fit when feeding time comes,and Im afraid he will break the blanket,but I also dont like to use them this early in the season,cause he wont grow his winter coat if I do,he does well in the winters though :3 and your hoss is a handsome boy smile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:20 pm
Christizzle
@Lady Lagomorph: Yes people are very opinionated about what is and isn't good for their animals. In the interest of minimizing my horses chances of acquiring rain rot I blanket them.. I live in Seattle, it rains.. just a bit... wink
Jake is a family horse, I do lower level dressage with him and he is my sister's 4-H horse.. He's off-track (we've had him 4 yrs) his racing name was 'Jake Russel'and he is so so sweet.
The Percheron is MY horse.

@Shanna: Thanks! biggrin

@Sammy: Really? We bought his blankie from Dover and he's 17.1. And the percheron (Thor) is 17.3..
Thoroughbreds are wonderful horses definately.

they didnt fit him because we have never had anything but quarter horses since my dad was 2 and my mom 11.He was the first thing outside of a quarter...They were all so short but he wore them anyways.He was very handsome to.I will find a picture and post it...  

Tranquilise

Beloved Sex Symbol

10,825 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 pm
User Image