Total Votes : 37

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:37 pm
I think having something a bit more interactive for newbies than a straight raffle might be fun sometimes. Even if it was like.. one BIG event every year, or a few events scattered around.

More interactive than just, say, having a newbie come and buy a ticket or something.

For example, a newbie nomination raffle... where thread regulars have to personally nominate a newbie and give a short blurb why (no right or wrong answers).

Maybe this will increase the chances for friendly, visable newbies and not just random people stopping in trying to get a free pet.

But I like the idea of the thread regulars having a bit of interaction, even if they don't get a "prize," Like having a RP contest for newbies and there being an open poll for the winner.

Or carnival like games where everyone could play - but if you win and you're not a newbie you get to choose which newbie gets it.

Kind of like... sponsoring?

More ideas?

EDITS:
CheshireKttty
. It would be really cool to see like a 'newbie of the month' type of award. Where perhaps every month a newbie could be nominated and receive their first soquili? Of course they'd have to be active in the thread and make a few friends first <3

Yuuka Kurokawa

Maybe Newbie only semi-customs? They do the list of 10 likes and 10 dislikes. The colorists then take it from there. I know it's not free, but it is a good way for them to get a pony.

Revolutionary Roniel
I think it'd be sorta cool to have sponsor-a-newbie breedings... like every breeding in the event is guaranteed to have three baskets, but you absolutely are required to give the third to a newbie! But it can be a newbie of your choosing... so you can ensure that your baskets go to people that you think will take care of 'em. ^^

pinchmonster

I think that the colorists doing extra slots in their breedings for 'breeding newbies' is super awesome too.

Newbies getting an 'extra ticket' in a massive raffle is cool, but it would be really nice to see more people (especially people who have been trying to get a Soquili) get their dream horse.

I do think it's important that newbie only means newbie only -- if you co-own you would still be able to enter, but co-owning 1 Soquili would be a good limit.

Juliette06

And now, my tangenty brain has come up with the idea of Oldbie-Newbie Soq Buddy System. I think it's time I go to sleep @_@

Nyx Queen of Darkness
I've only been here for one, maybe two customs, but maybe a newbie only slot for customs? Could be they've never won a custom or never tried?

And I love the buddy-system idea! Maybe even buddy-type games? But with the newbie getting the prize out of the "winning team.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:42 pm
I really like this idea! it would also be nice to see a few more rp contests and such geared towards newbies. I think because there's a bit more effort involved, it would weed out some of the ones that would simply come in grab a pet, and then never be seen again. I really like the idea of nominating newbies. It would be really cool to see like a 'newbie of the month' type of award. Where perhaps every month a newbie could be nominated and receive their first soquili? Of course they'd have to be active in the thread and make a few friends first <3  

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50

Yuuka Kurokawa

Romantic Elder

8,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:43 pm
Kamiki, what are you doing in Eve and my head? XD We have the same thing over in Questline.

I do like the ideas though.

Maybe Newbie only semi-customs? They do the list of 10 likes and 10 dislikes. The colorists then take it from there. I know it's not free, but it is a good way for them to get a pony.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 pm
I think it'd be sorta cool to have sponsor-a-newbie breedings... like every breeding in the event is guaranteed to have three baskets, but you absolutely are required to give the third to a newbie! But it can be a newbie of your choosing... so you can ensure that your baskets go to people that you think will take care of 'em. ^^  

Revolutionary Roniel

Indestructible Dragon

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 pm
Nothing wrong with newb only semi customs either <3 Those always sounded like a lot of fun to do (for a colorist perspective, too)

But yeah, I'd like there to be more events that foster the community as well as get more Soq over to newbies. Make new friends, find new RR partners and the like.

I sometimes feel like I'm being clique-ish in Soq and its really not because I'm trying to be... just sometimes I go into the thread and realize I don't KNOW half of the people O_O And I need to fix that and start reaching out to more people, newbies and oldbies alike!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:47 pm
Revolutionary Roniel

i love this idea, too! I suggested something similar in the breeding forum, but making it newbie-only would be another great way to have established Soq veterans each out to new people!  

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

bipolar bee

Alien Kitten

12,975 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:49 pm
I'm a regular lurker (so I don't know how much weight my words will hold), but I just wanted to pop in and agree with you, Kamiki!

I think that the newbie nomination raffle is a great idea to give regulars a chance to participate as well. There are people who post regularly in the thread and they've yet to acquire a Soquili. I think it would give the thread a more newb-friendly vibe.

I think that the colorists doing extra slots in their breedings for 'breeding newbies' is super awesome too.

Newbies getting an 'extra ticket' in a massive raffle is cool, but it would be really nice to see more people (especially people who have been trying to get a Soquili) get their dream horse.

The newbie only semi-customs are a great idea too. What Yuuka said, basically. Like the Christmas in July thing -- that was awesome, but make it for newbies only.

I do think it's important that newbie only means newbie only -- if you co-own you would still be able to enter, but co-owning 1 Soquili would be a good limit.

I do think it's really important that active people have a greater chance of getting their first horse, too. Not people that (like Kamiki said) just want a free pet.

*fades back into the blackness*  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:51 pm
Revolutionary Roniel
This is a great idea, and I would personally participate if this happened. :3 With either of my two shiny Soquili. XD  

bipolar bee

Alien Kitten

12,975 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100

Revolutionary Roniel

Indestructible Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 pm
@ Kamiki: I was inspired by the ideas you posted, actually... I just thought about them for a while and decided that this would be the spin on it that I would be most happy with! I'd be a little nervous putting my baskets into a giant raffle... but if I could choose the newbie and make sure it was someone I thought would be a good owner, I'd totally go for it!

I think that getting newbies breeding baskets would be a great way to get them instantly more involved. They'd already be part of a family and could do family plottings and stuff!

And people who didn't want to give their third basket to a newbie... could just not participate in that raffle!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 pm
It would be cool to kill two birds with one stone: A breeding raffle for newbies only -- each winner gets 3 baskets, but one of the baskets has to be given to a Soquili newbie. If you don't want to give your basket to a newbie, you just don't participate. biggrin  

bipolar bee

Alien Kitten

12,975 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100

Calixita

Crew

Wild Creature

63,800 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:02 pm
Revolutionary Roniel

I'd love to participate in something like that ^_^ I don't generally know who newbies are though  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:06 pm
Maybe if you're not sure of a good newbie to give it to, you could always host an RP contest for the third (newbie) basket? This would allow newbies who don't know anyone very well, to have a chance at a basket too smile  

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:07 pm
CheshireKttty
Maybe if you're not sure of a good newbie to give it to, you could always host an RP contest for the third (newbie) basket? This would allow newbies who don't know anyone very well, to have a chance at a basket too smile

Good idea.

Kind of like "We dont' care HOW you distribute your 3rd basket AS LONG AS IT GOES TO A NEWBIE"

Then people could either directly gift them, hold an RP contest, or just a raffle even.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:44 pm
Speaking from a lurker-turned-'ohmygodIhaveaSoqallmyown' perspective, the only problem I see with being nominated is that...well, what if you're active in the thread and talking and stuff, but you get no nominations and this other newb gets like fifteen? It could lead to some hurt feelings, but maybe I'm just being too idealistic XD

But yes, more newbie events. It should not be impossible for people to get something resembling what they want~

Also, RE clique-ish-ness: Yayyyyy reaching out heart But really, it's not your fault (or at least not entirely your fault), because really, newbs to Soq (myself included until recently), are often too scared/nervous/shy whatever to approach people with a lot of Soqs directly, because they've been in the shop forever/are in the middle of a conversation/don't know them...whatever.

And now, my tangenty brain has come up with the idea of Oldbie-Newbie Soq Buddy System. I think it's time I go to sleep @_@

Anyway, yes, I approve of this thread. More power to the newbies! 8D <3333

Juliette06

Wheezing Hoarder

10,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300