Total Votes : 34

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 pm
So, Kamiki's opinion of having more stuff geared towards newbies, and I was thinking that perhaps we should have a Newbie of the Month award? I know that we already have awards for colorists, teepees, and soquili, but having an award for a newbie could be fun. Each month people could nominate a newbie that they know, and then whoever wins would perhaps receive their first soquili? It would encourage more of the lurking newbies to hang out in the thread and get to know everyone there too smile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:49 pm
*thumbs up*

The ONLY downside to this I can think of would be people not knowing who is a newbie/who got their 1st Soq/etc.

Maybe a volunteer could keep a running list of active newbies somewhere?

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

bipolar bee

Alien Kitten

12,975 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:53 pm
A list would be hard to do -- maybe more than one person could have work together to do it. Perhaps a new mule is in order, one that can be used to keep track of newbies -- maybe each newbie that gets their first horse would have to PM this particular mule?

Also, I am concerned about the colorists. Would they be reimbursed via extra staff credits, or would the prize be sponsored by thread-goers?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm
*nods* I suppose that would be a bit difficult to keep track of, but a list could be good. Though there are a lot of newbies. I think it would just be up to the person nominating them to make sure they are actually new.  

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:56 pm
Hmmm, I suppose I hadn't thought of that. I guess I was thinking it would be considered more along the lines of being added with the rest of the awards. I'd assume the colorists would get credits? Otherwise I'm sure there are a few of us who would be more then willing to help sponsor. I don't have much gold but I'd be willing to help a bit.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:59 pm
I think the colorists get credits for any Soq they do, regardless if they get paid gold or not. But yeah, there would have to be a running pool or volunteers.

Maybe keep the newbie of the month kind of simple. No like, major mutant-dream Soquili or anything like that.

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

bipolar bee

Alien Kitten

12,975 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:02 pm
That's a good idea. Simple, minimum edited Soquili.

Maybe even go so far as to add extra credits (beyond what they get) for picking up a pro-bono no gold involved newbie giveaway.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
XD yeah, I was thinking it'd probably end up being a simple no edit to minor edits type of prize, but of course that would be up to the staff smile All I can do is suggest lol.  

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50

lilmissy4205

Lonely Browser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:47 pm
I had already tried to discuss this at length with the staff many times and there are several concerns that can pop up. Soquili's main thread is not the most welcoming feeling to a newb like it used to be and quite a few regulars don't notice when someone new pops in or even if they reappear several times. It's not a matter of knowing who's a newb, but noticing them.

I've been trying to push this idea for a few months, not to mention how much I missed this being part of the shop. I was trying to get it as a system with my charity, but there was little response. This is the information I had gathered on the whole thing. Names are omitted.

Quote:
Newb nomination was inspired by Lady Evelyn Nyht when she was gifted her very first Soquili, Ever Sacrifice. At first, we were thinking to host the newb nomination monthly, but decided on it being every three months. We would be taking applications between the 15th and the end of the month with a limit of 10 applications. So there is no favoritism, the choice will be randomized.

What classifies them as a newb is either they don't own any Soq breeds or co-own (this is a blanket co-ownership with no restrictions) at least one. Anyone is allowed to nominate, but they cannot nominate themselves. Unfortunately, it's difficult to keep it from being taken advantage, but if that happens and they're caught they will be banned from the charity and reported to the Soquili mule.

But what will they win? We are sincerely hoping that one dream Soquili would be created from their quest thread. However, we don't want the colorists to be forced to make a mutant or heavy-edited Soquili (in case winner has only one quest), so one of the common - uncommon breeds colored using the newb's favorite colors or themes.

How will the colorists find out about the newbs favorite colors or themes? We've set up a thread in our charity's guild called "Soquili Center" with a form that would be filled out by any Soquili newb. But this thread will also be useful for people looking to co-own with any Soquili newb as well, and will hopefully come in very handy.

We did ask Felmino and Cajmera about this idea and the response we got was very positive. Felmino felt that it would also be great for some of the current owners to reference to when choosing owners for third basket, co-owns, etc. Celeanor is even willing to offer the funds she gets from her trading post to our charity like she did for the quest account Soquili had.

To summarize, we're asking you if this event can be held and if the colorists would be interested in working on the gifted Soquili. To make it easier for the colorists, they can alternate on who would be working on the newb nomination Soquili for that month, which is held every three months. We're asking your permission as well as asking if you could discuss this idea with the colorists.

AIM
xxxxxxx: Might be a useful service for those looking to home third baskets? Like, I don't know. A list of Soq newbies who are looking for a Soq and what kinds they like, if they like RP or not, if they have a favorite species. *rambles* Favorite colors or themes, etc. Stuff that would help them pick out someone. A lot of newbies get looked over simply because they are new- and unknown.
I would suggest you get your system set up and written down in full first. before bringing it to them. how it's going to run, who it's going to include/exclude, what you're looking for, especially the how it's going to run part

xxxxxxxx AIM
[12:34:26 AM] ------------- : Y'know, back when there WAS an official quest thing, I used to donate all the gold I made from the TP to it
[12:34:38 AM] ------------- : should y'all 'get official' I'll gladly do that again

xxxxxxx
I think it is a good idea; in particular, I like there there are a certain amount of restrictions. This gives the newbies more options than just crossing their fingers and hoping, and by keeping the results moderate (i.e. a newbie can't go and get an angeni through this program), I think there's likely to be more support from the regular shop-goers. Having things randomized should keep out accusations of bias.

I do think that you will want to clarify what co-owners would qualify. Like, obviously a person who has sig-only rights to a soq would, but what if you have rp rights, sig rights, and rights to the first breeding? That could cause confusion if it's not clarified; otherwise though, I think it sounds great.

xxxxxx
I brought this up at the Sunday staff meeting: I'd like questers who been trying hard to get a chance to get their quest pet so I'm thinking of getting a colorist or two every other month to get someone their dream quest pet. While newbies are needy too, I think current people who are questing and been loyal to the shop ought to get some pets as well. Better yet, a newbie with a quest!

Also, having a list of newbs wouldn't be the best idea simply because many have been known to get disheartened over never getting a chance and being ignored. It would be a waste of a colorist's work to do a Soq that doesn't even go to the person they wanted to give it to.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:47 pm
A newbies giveaway every single month is a bit of a stretch because we already have a monthly flatsale with pets for newbies. I think this would go hand in hand with the charity idea that was also suggested here. I used to do something similar when I had the nikko pups shop. Newbies that were active, nice and literate would be put on the first page and everyone was invited to donate towards them getting a free pet. The newbie would then make friends in the process and be more welcome in the thread once they got their pet.  

Sirenz

Blessed Kin

11,825 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Dragon Uprising 75
  • Energy Harvester 150

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:54 pm
I can understand it being a bit much if it's every month, but perhaps every three months? Or maybe twice a year? I guess I just thought it might be a nice thing to see, maybe get people used to having more newbies around and to soften up. It'd be nice to at least see it considered.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Technically, there wasn't a newb only slot for last month's flaffle. True, the staff does host a flaffle every month, but it doesn't always set aside Soquili for just newbs. Nor was I able to find a newb only event when I was looking at the archived Halloween event unless it wasn't listed on the front page of the event main thread.

Plus, it was already discussed that Newb of the Month would have a longer time frame between nominations that worked with the colorists. That's why the suggestion was made that one colorist would work on the newb gift in a rotation. But it was a system that was still in the works that was best for the staff and didn't put pressure on them.

-edit-
And I seem to have forgotten the last post of information I had saved about newb nomination.

Quote:
It seems we're both thinking the same idea. The only reason I mentions tossing favorite colors, themes, and breeds, was to save colorists from having too much work from gifting a Soq for the nominated person. Especially if they're a mutant that can only be achieved through bribes.

[link] Basically, the system we have set up encourages the newbs to participate in the main thread or get to know the other newbs we've accumulated in the Questline Charity Guild. The form we have for the newb nomination does include the option to link a quest.

Though I do like the idea of rewarding some of the loyal questers, I also don't want to have the newbs feeling disheartened that regulars or current owners are the favorites. Not to mention that I still get that giddy feeling every time I look at Ever in my teepee and remember how I got her. I've always been a stickler that kindness can be rewarded, but how can it be when you don't push yourself forward?

On that note, since talking to several of the newbs in Questline Charity, they've all talked about the slight discomfort they felt in the main thread. So the charity guild is another place for them to chat at their own pace. Not to mention that you can recognize the determined ones just because they keep coming back even after earning their first Soquili to share the joy with others and make future newbs comfortable.

lilmissy4205

Lonely Browser

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 pm
I still really like the idea smile and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. The newbie flaffles and such are definitely nice, but the problem arises of someone grabbing a pet and going. I like that to be nominated, it means you're more likely to be around the thread, hanging out, talking, participating in event and getting to know everyone. They aren't just gonna get their pet and poof. The prize wouldn't even have to be edited or anything. Just a simple unedited soquili, or perhaps a donation to their quest?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:38 pm
In defence of the shop, I would like to point out that some events held this year (especially several ran by felmino) offered not just one but SEVERAL newbie only slots! Several flaffles had anywehre from first 4-7 just for newbies. Additionally, several breeding rounds have had slots for people new to breeding. While we could do more to make the shop more newbie friendly, opportunities to get one in events, flaffles, and other avenues has really multiplied this year. I think people need to at least give them credit for that!

I remember at one point; Sirenz was piloting an effort to make the shop more newbie friendly with the newbie welcome center in the soquili era guild. and, thread regs could pair up with a newbie to help them get acclimated to the shop. and a few custom slots was for that... and the reg and the newbie would get a pair of soq's.. i forget what all the rules around it was..

but yeah. I think it'd be cool to do some things that are specifically geared towards newbies. I know before in the event suggestion in the main area of this guild; we had discussed having a breeding event where every breeding got a 3rd basket; and all the 3rd baskets were all given to newbies and people who have never had a basket.  

Graceangel

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200

lilmissy4205

Lonely Browser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:24 pm
The risk you run with "giving" a third basket is that the person who receives it won't do the required research and give the right temperament the family would have raised the Soquili to be. Also, let's not mention the few who have taken a basket and run with it and doing whatever they please with it and thus breaking a few people's trust in the process.

Now I can under that this event wouldn't be required, but people have tried to give their third basket, when they get them, in contests. Sometimes it's for straight newbs, sometimes it's a soq number limit.

What I think would be more interesting with that idea is the mixers instead so you don't have to worry about "roleplaying" with the parents unless you want to.

But this idea is getting off topic.

Feedback Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces