Total Votes : 34

Meeki

Apocalyptic Girl

21,875 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:45 am
I think this is just one of those things that is unnecessary. Nothing makes a newcomer feel more part of the shop than treating them like they are part of the shop. Sticking them on a pedestal for all to see and declare they are a newbie seems a bit much, even if you're saying they are the best newbie ever this month!

A newbie raffle or flatsale seems like a better idea to welcome/reward newbies, at least in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 am
But how better to keep the welcoming aspect of the shop alive than rewarding them for their behavior and actions in the shop main thread? I won't be how I am today if Sirenz hadn't given me Ever Sacrifice back in August of '06.

The general attitude of the main thread is appalling to me and I see it as being worse because of how long I've been gone from the shop. There are people who show little respect to others and those who just see this shop as some sort of status symbol. And it's really sad to see the majority of that growing simply because that is the only way to be part of the "in crowd."

It's not so much as putting them on a pedestal but a reward for trying to be active, learning the shop, and keeping that friendliness alive, in my opinion.

lilmissy4205

Lonely Browser

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:50 pm
I'm not really sure if I like this or not, but, if there were to be a newbie of the month - I would suggest something like this:

Week 1, newbie must make a post in a specific guild thread saying he/she would like to be considered. [I would say being a newbie means having no more than .5 soq [basically one co-own]].
Week 2-4, list of newbies for consideration put somewhere and anyone not on the list can 'vote' for one newbie.

Top three vote getters have the option of buying a semi-custom at FS price [limited races and basic color/theme ideas with no edits or minor cc edits]. They can be 'sponsored' if they don't have the funds and can find someone to donate for them.

They are no longer eligible as newbies for future newbie of the month contests [even if they don't choose to buy the semi-custom].

Since these would be unedited - even the familiar colorists could be coloring these - and it could be on a rotation or something for the colorists.

This means the newbie still has to be around enough to get votes - and it's not totally free so the colorist isn't spending time without reward. But it gives an active newbie a better chance at a Soq - and even if it isn't a full custom - just getting a first Soquili is a big deal when you don't have one and keeps things more balanced. Keeping a newbie from having an exceedingly increased chance at a super rare or complicated custom just because he/she hasn't been around a long or tried as hard as those who have Soq already.  
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff