Submit

What do you think?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 17 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe, but only if the rules are strict about fund usage.
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 41

lilmissy4205

Lonely Browser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:17 pm
The certificate idea sounds really great, actually. And it seems you covered a lot of issues that had been brought up and refreshed some ideas that were suggested.

The only issue I see is the multiple categories. The more people you give to, the more expensive. e.e And there's always that worry that the funds would run out even with donating incentive.

Also, who's to say the person that might be enticed to donate to the charity wouldn't just give their gold to someone in the Questing HQ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:27 pm
As for multiple categories, there are people who need the help with funds, but have been given or won a soq but can't manage a custom on their own. There are those who want a soq so bad but just don't have any kind of luck. And there are people who have a brilliant and beautiful idea, but because they already have something lesser would be unqualified for help, will not be able to achieve their dream.

I'm not saying every category needs to be awarded something every month - but if once every six months there was a 'this quest is too big' category - it would give everyone a chance at trying for a gift certificate. Because while there are generous people who want to see everyone have the good fortune they have had, there are people who would complain that it wasn't fair that only newbies were eligible for help. And while I hate to kowtow to whiners, there is an extent to which I agree that there should be some effort to help those who need it even if they already have a teepee with a couple customs in it.

To my mind - the gift certificate could just be a set amount - you could have a 100k certificate, a 500k certificate, etc. Then it doesn't matter what they're questing - they have that much donated to them [though who gets what value could be based on what they are questing and how much it will cost]. It also makes it easier to keep up with funds if it's set amounts instead of whole custom prices or even percents. And it means the quester is responsible for the rest of the funds. [even including getting donations from the Questing HQ].

If funds run low - only give out a lower amount on the certificate - or even run a 'for charity' auction [an auction that has an opening bid of whatever the base price of the Soq in the auction is [which goes to the colorist] - and anything past that opening bid goes straight to the charity].

As for the person donating - sure - they can donate however they want - including giving in the questing HQ. But the only way to get the incentive &#xro;ll when donating is to donate when you're already getting a Soq from some other method - there's plenty of other times people will still want to donate and can choose to donate to the shop charity or to someone specific. Which means there will still be donations to people outside the shop charity. And there will be people who feel their gold donation is 'safest' giving to the shop charity and will give there. It doesn't prohibit people from donating however they'd like, just gives an extra donation option.

And, honestly, I think there is a number of people out there who never even think about donating. Not that they wouldn't if they thought of it, but there's so many thing to think about, remembering that others sometimes need help doesn't always register. This gives a subtle reminder. And offers a way for people to donate so that they know the donation will be spent where they want it spent.

And since the people who are given this reminder have just won and are on something of a 'squee-high' from their win - they might be more inclined to be generous to someone who hasn't had that win. Which means it's more likely they will make the donation - and thus - there will be money in the charity.

And if all else fails and the charity can't sustain itself with sufficient funds to keep up and running - it becomes a 'failed project' and is removed.

It's just the only thing I can think of as a feasible way to address the concerns raised thus far and still be able to have a charity in the shop.  

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

lilmissy4205

Lonely Browser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:22 pm
I wouldn't call "running out of funds" a failed project. If anything, it shows the popularity or the inner issues at working a system to keep funds together. Which just goes back to my suggestion about having a certain percentage taken off the full price and just cut gold out of the equation.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:36 pm
I worked for a long time in a job where I had to plan and organize events and figure out how to pay for them. In the real world outside Gaia, if you can't pay for an event, it's a failed project. So to me, not having money is not having success. This is part of why I tried building the idea around an income source.

Looking at is strictly as a numbers thing - it's easier to account for money in and out and to make sure you arn't promising more funds than you have if you keep it to a set gold amount. This also allows the person questing to change their idea or re-work it without it causing a ripple of problems in the finances area or requiring the quest to be 'locked' to what it was at the time the gift certificate was won.

Now it might be that when someone wins a gift certificate - they also get 5 or 10 % off the normal price of the custom - but that would have to be a discount eaten by the colorist. Thus giving something from the shop as well as donations from owners.  

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:46 pm
If Soq wants to go with the certificates idea and for some reason an existing staff member can't take over the responsibility - I'd be willing to lend a hand. Though I imagine it wouldn't be too much to add to an existing staff member or two.  
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff