Not really a fan of this, sorry :C
52%
 52%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 65

Kaitaia

Anxious Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 am
Faid Shadowlight

This is very true.. but then it comes back to something Kita and some others have said that why enter if you don't really want that pet? I know there is always the case of something better coming along, but that's the thing with hindsight.
I think you're missing something in Manda's post. I'm sure people that bid in auctions REALLY want those pets, cause its nuts to bid 20+mil on a pet you didn't like all that much. So I'm sure they really wanted that pet. But that doesn't mean that they won't want the NEXT one more, you know? They won't know until the next event. Maybe they would have given up the chance for the last one if they knew the next one was coming up.

Kind of the same thing with the raffles. I've never seen a Soq raffle that I didn't love numerous pets in, but that doesn't mean I'll win one of my very favourites. I shouldn't try if I don't love them all? Also, even if I do win one of my favourites, that doesn't mean I won't prefer one in the next raffle. After all, I don't know what the pets in the next raffle look like.

I can definitely understand the reasoning behind the cool down periods. I thought it was a good idea too at first, until someone, I forget who, pointed out that auctions are a choice, and not really a chance, and that they could lose out on a pet that they really really want because they bid on one they really wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:07 pm

okay, updated the first post. please let me know if you guys see something ive missed that i should add a spoon for.

Also, about my posting with people trying for pets they dont really want.

When it comes to a flatsale, I dont normally write down the numbers to horses that really arent my thing. I dont put them all down, just because ZOMG I NEED A HOARSE. I would rather that horse go to someone else who really might want it. I know there were a couple of the WoW events I was closing into winning pretty quickly, but because I wasnt a fan of the prizes, I stopped playing. Which, again, gave other people the chance for something they might have really wanted, instead of me playing just to get something.

Also, yeah, there might be a horse in every event that you HAVE to have. But the reality is, you are not likely to win that horse in every event. So, take your chances. What is more important to you? This horse right this moment, or possibly some unknown greater horse down the line?

Ktns

Lunatic

Manda

Skilled Explorer

8,700 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:24 am
Well I mean, that's true. But my thing is ... why force people to even make that choice at all? There are other ways to 'solve' the problem, or try to solve it, without having a cooldown and forcing people to choose based on some future event they haven't even seen yet.

To me, if we're talking about 'fair', it's much LESS fair to do that, than to have one of the other options that's been talked about.

Like the event at the end of the year for anyone who hasn't won in events often/recently. Or more sections in current events that are like... A raffle/game/etc open ONLY to those who didn't win anything in the rest of the event. Things like that make more sense to me than having a cooldown that forces a decision where there's absolutely no way to know what you're actually choosing lol  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:30 pm
Manda
Well I mean, that's true. But my thing is ... why force people to even make that choice at all? There are other ways to 'solve' the problem, or try to solve it, without having a cooldown and forcing people to choose based on some future event they haven't even seen yet.

To me, if we're talking about 'fair', it's much LESS fair to do that, than to have one of the other options that's been talked about.

Like the event at the end of the year for anyone who hasn't won in events often/recently. Or more sections in current events that are like... A raffle/game/etc open ONLY to those who didn't win anything in the rest of the event. Things like that make more sense to me than having a cooldown that forces a decision where there's absolutely no way to know what you're actually choosing lol

Before I say anything, life is not -fair-. Life will never be -fair-. Things will happen that will not be fair.

I guess, reading through this, think of the greater of two evils. Does it suck more for the person who is -unable- to get a pet or one that gets a pet but then decides that they want more because they don't like the first one as much anymore? Just because a person maybe able to buy like... 10 auction pets in a row, what about the bidder before them? They don't have enough gold to withstand the onslaught of the increasingly higher bids o_O;

And for the Halloween event, they did do that. They had things specifically open to those who hadn't won anything and perks for those who managed to participate.  

ATh e a r t
Crew

Romantic Lunatic

Manda

Skilled Explorer

8,700 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:34 pm
Well to me, it sucks pretty much equally. *shrug* If there are ways for people who don't win anything in the events to win things without essentially 'penalizing' the people that did win by saying 'well now you can't win in the next thing' .... I say go with those methods, rather than a cooldown.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:19 am
I don't understand how a person not getting a Soquili is equal to a person getting a Soquili and then not being able to participate in the next event. Unless that can be explained to me, people are just wanting too much now. It is a fact that you don't -need- to win, just -want-. I think if that want is satisfied, it is just that they can sit out of the next thing.

Um. Though, about he front page... The third spoon, I think. Just because one person has one species, what makes them be unable to get more of that species? It seems more reasonable to me for people to be able to get the species they want (like how samus likes collecting Kalona), then say "just because you have this species you can't participate in this event".  

ATh e a r t
Crew

Romantic Lunatic

Manda

Skilled Explorer

8,700 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:02 am
So, if you were one of the people that won in an event. Say, an event that had mostly common/uncommon species and no rares - just for example. Then the next event comes up (which you knew nothing about at the time of the earlier one) and it has a ton of rare species or cosplays or something that's generally considered more 'wanted' by a lot of people in the shop...

It would be fine with you to sit out that next event with the rares etc because you won in the last event? Or would you still want to be able to try in the new event? I think most people would say that they would still want to be able to try for whatever that next event might be. Because you can't know. It's not an informed decision to go 'well I want to try in this event and I'm fine with sitting out the next one if I win something' when you have no idea what the next one will be.

Also, the point of having an event for a rare species and not allowing people that already have one of that species to participate is to spread them around to new people. It's like a species newbie. Do you have an issue with newbie slots or events as well...?

-----------

All I'm saying is that personally I would prefer that some OTHER method(s) be found aside from cooldowns to allow people that don't win often in events to win things. I'm not saying 'oh well those people are just out of luck'. I simply disagree with the event/flaffle/auction/etc cooldown idea.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm kind of a newbie to Soq, and my only pet was won in an event so I'm not exactly the sort to qualify for most of what's going on. But I don't really like the idea of the second and third spoons, the second looked good at first but then there is that point of people not knowing what they're going to be missing out on later.

As for the third spoon, while it would be great to give people more chances at it, things like auctions and raffles and such really are all about equal chances for everyone. Restricting those just because someone already managed to get one of that species seems a little unfair to me. If they have managed to somehow own all fiftymillion of them wheras no one else has any, I can see where that might come into play a little. But generally speaking, I don't feel it's a problem or particularly unfair. The occasional species-newbie things might be a fun idea (I haven't been around long enough to know if they already exist, sorry!), but banning people who just have one seems to be 'unfair' as well.

The first spoon seems like the best idea. And I noticed that there were events at the end of this last event that gave people who participated a chance to win even after everything was over...and the more you participated the more chances you got. That sort of thing seems like the best way to handle it as far as I can see, with perhaps one bigger event at the end of the year for people who have no luck all year round. The 'low luck' thing and all.

zephira738

Timid Hunter

ATh e a r t
Crew

Romantic Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 pm
Manda

Actually, yes, I would be okay sitting out. Just because you -want- rarer species doesn't mean they're needed. My Tarala is my first Soq, a mini, and I love her. Yeah, the next freebie soq after her was a regular mare. Was I sad I couldn't participate, yeah, but I understood the fact that other people should get a chance. That is what people do not want to give up. It's not like people have not gone through this before, and I find nothing wrong with it.

You know you can say the complete opposite right? What makes you assume that the next event has to be -better- than the one before it? What if there is -nothing- you like in the new event? All I see in a lot of this is people wanting more and they are not willing to give up the chances of winning more after winning one.

And no offense, but i feel like the thing you said about being 'against newbies' is kind of rude. I was one. Everyone was one. Unless you understand what people do, please, be careful with your words. If you think I am 'anti-newbie', why did I give a co-own of one of my Soquili to a good friend of mine? Why am I giving up first breeding basket rights to her? Why do I keep encouraging her to participate in events and in threads?

I'd even support an all newbie event. Only newbies could bid in auctions. Only newbies could participate in raffles, etc. That would possibly get a lot more people into the shop.

For the species, I'd rather have it go with the "if you win one, don't participate in the next one". Just because a person is a species newbie, i don't think they should be highlighted. I'm pretty sure a lot of people with one species are happy with that species and they want more of that species. Nothing wrong with that. BUT. If you had a newbie event with a particular species, again, my full support. But newbie-species... Doesn't mean that you might not have like... 20+ soq of any other specie. You're definitely -not- a newbie.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:18 pm
Categorizing things by species is just going to create more fragmentation - it's not going to happen. Besides, I'd hope people would love the pets I do because of the effort that went into the coloring not because this one's got a pointy horn, and this one doesn't. 8C

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Felmino

Feedback Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas