[S] Newbie Welcome Center Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:48 pm

I think that having a welcoming committee would be an excellent way to keep the Newbie Center filled with welcomers. I also agree that it should be on a volunteer basis. Newbies really add life to the shop, and keep it from being the same group of people rehashing the same things over and over again. I think that this would be a great way to reach out to newbies, so that they don't feel lost in the thread, or overlooked. But it would also be nice if, on general principle, everyone just went that extra little bit out of their way to say hi to newbies, and such. Nothing mandatory, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:57 pm
I can honestly say..I have been lurking in Soq for a long time and, only posted for the first time today. Some people told me they will ignore you etc but, people are and were very nice in greeting me and, chatting with me <3 I think from a newer persons point of view it's hard to come into such a popular thread with such popular pets especially when you don't really have the gold to buy a pet but, you still keep your eyes on the thread for a chance to become a part of the community. Maybe it's just me XDD I am a little paranoid sometimes but, perhaps if there were more people in the thread who like the idea of new people. I understand not liking the newbs who just come in get a soq and leave forever or only want to say 'OMG I HAS A SOQ' Newbs might stay around longer if when they entered the thread, they always got a nice welcome or someone paid them some kind of attention. Even if it's just saying 'Hi welcome <3'
This ended up longer than I thought it would but, yes. Thanks to those who welcomed me <3 and I hope to become a regular poster in the thread and welcome new newbs like myself every chance I get ^ - ^

RockerWolfie1616
Crew

Timid Wolf

14,400 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Bookworm 100

lilmissy4205

Lonely Browser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:03 am
RockerWolfie1616
I can honestly say..I have been lurking in Soq for a long time and, only posted for the first time today. Some people told me they will ignore you etc but, people are and were very nice in greeting me and, chatting with me <3 I think from a newer persons point of view it's hard to come into such a popular thread with such popular pets especially when you don't really have the gold to buy a pet but, you still keep your eyes on the thread for a chance to become a part of the community. Maybe it's just me XDD I am a little paranoid sometimes but, perhaps if there were more people in the thread who like the idea of new people. I understand not liking the newbs who just come in get a soq and leave forever or only want to say 'OMG I HAS A SOQ' Newbs might stay around longer if when they entered the thread, they always got a nice welcome or someone paid them some kind of attention. Even if it's just saying 'Hi welcome <3'
This ended up longer than I thought it would but, yes. Thanks to those who welcomed me <3 and I hope to become a regular poster in the thread and welcome new newbs like myself every chance I get ^ - ^
"From the mouths of babes."

And welcome to Soquili.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:03 am
That committee that Mindsend has appears to be what I have in mind. Maybe those interested can fill out the form there. I'll ask Mindsend if she is still running that committee as it doesn't look updated in awhile.  

Sirenz

Blessed Kin

11,825 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Dragon Uprising 75
  • Energy Harvester 150

Yuuka Kurokawa

Romantic Elder

8,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 am
RockerWolfie1616
Welcome to Soq dear. If I'm around and you feel ignored, bold my name or quote me and I'll talk to you. I'm a rather friendly person or so I'm told. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am
Sirenz, I don't think the thread is exactly out of date but that no one has really notice except those of us who did fill out the form.  

lilmissy4205

Lonely Browser

Kaitaia

Anxious Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:15 am
If it's still functional, I think I'd like to sign up.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 pm
About two to three years ago I tried to get into Soq, and found the prospect - worse than daunting. I gave up after a few months. For the WoW event I came back and tried again - and with my first post I was welcome and invited into conversation. I was thrilled to win my first Soq in that event - but more than anything, the experience I had with the people in the thread made me want to be part of Soq.

I will grant I don't do much in thread - I find it moves so fast it's hard to keep up with everyone, but every time I stop into the shop - I am made to feel wanted, and that's an amazing thing.

I think that whatever happened in the last couple years, it was good - and I am very happy that soq is one of my Gaia homes.  

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Graceangel

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:30 pm
I might volunteer to help out with that. I am definitely not a newbie by any means, but I find it particularly overwhelming or difficult to get into the conversations in there or be acknowledged myself. I know there are many of times I'm completely overlooked. I'd be really happy to help someone out.

Also, I think if we are taking newbies under our wings, we should be familiarizing them with general shop practices. It took me around a year of just digging around and figuring stuff out for myself. Since you pretty much need to stalk the services guild in order to take advantage of every opportunity to get a new soq or your first.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:37 am
I think a volunteer basis would be excellent - you don't have to be on staff to make a newbie feel welcome after all, all you need is a smile and a "hello!" ^_^

I know a lot of the colorists enjoy gifting things to newbies but we often have a hard time figuring out who they are; it's hard to keep up with the fast paced thread while coloring or working on the guilds. In that, a couple of volunteers would be great to maybe organize a list of active newbies who might appreciate a pony of their very own?

A guide for newbies is another idea, maybe with specific things they would need to know and where to find stuff - I admit I've been around the shop so long I can barely recall how confusing things were at the start, beyond that it took me a few months to realize there were TWO guilds not one >_>;

Felmino

Malis Vitterfolk
Crew

Familiar Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 am
Knowing who the newbies are is definitely difficult. I've co-owned a bundle of mine to newbies and I've made it a point to give my second/third baskets to people who own small to no herds of their own. If there was an easier way to look up who is active and a newbie (or at least a low pop owner) I know that would be greatly beneficial.  
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff