9%  [ 3 ]
Maybe?
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 33

FitzRoyal

Distinct Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 pm
So I know we have Thalion and Cypran as guest colorists for the a future event but I would really love to see more people invited to help out.

I have seen many great artists in the soquili shop and realize that many of them would love to be colorists, but don't have the time to commit to being a full time colorist. With the extensive workload that the colorists have, I thought maybe it would be nice if the guest colorists step in to help every now and then.

Some ideas:

- A guest flaffle once a year featuring just guest colorists.
- When there is a event (say Wow, Halloween, Christmas) the guest colorists can help out so the full time colorists aren't overloaded
- Every now and then a guest colorist could do a LL breeding or a newbie slot breeding
- Can help out if a staff member goes MIA

To be a guest colorist:

- Nominations
- Staff members ask artists (generally in the B/C forums) if they'd like to be a guest colorist
- Another hiring event
- Applicants from previous hirings
- Asking past colorists

Problems:

- I'm sure soquili doesn't want their lines too widespread...>.<
- Guest colorists might flake out
- Might upset full time colorists

Solutions:

-Line spreadage: invite back past colorists
-Guest flakeage: only premade soq (event soq or breedings pulled from the CC master?)

...I'll add ideas/suggestions/problems as they come ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 pm
*likes the idea* XD

It would be nice to see some guest colourists, just to add some diversity to the shop every now and then. Wouldn't matter if they were limited to unedited or minor edits only. smile

Perhaps guest colourist breedings would also be acceptable?

Syaoran-Puu

Enduring Werewolf

10,275 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Team Jacob 100

Leez0rz
Crew

Adorable Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 pm
I personally love the idea, but I do see the drawback in the Soquili lines being circulated.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 pm
As of right now we only invite people to be guest colorists. I agree that the lines shouldn't be circulated too much. We already a ton of colorists on staff so it doesn't make much sense to me to seek out some guests. I do think it might be neat to do that raffle idea where certain people whose work I like are then chosen randomly to guest.  

Sirenz

Blessed Kin

11,825 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Dragon Uprising 75
  • Energy Harvester 150

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:07 am
My only concern would be when it comes to situations like breedings or customs where the colorist is given the task of a pet to complete at a later date. Part of the consideration when it comes to new colorists is reliability, and the last thing you want to do is have a guest colorist lose interest and flake before completing a breeding.

While maybe a guest here and there isn't a bad idea, I would vote for it being for pre-completed pets alone. ((ie, they're completed before given out - like for an event or flaffle or something like that)).  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:14 am
Sabin Duvert
My only concern would be when it comes to situations like breedings or customs where the colorist is given the task of a pet to complete at a later date. Part of the consideration when it comes to new colorists is reliability, and the last thing you want to do is have a guest colorist lose interest and flake before completing a breeding.

While maybe a guest here and there isn't a bad idea, I would vote for it being for pre-completed pets alone. ((ie, they're completed before given out - like for an event or flaffle or something like that)).

THIS. I do like the idea of inviting guest artists, but only for premade pets, not for breedings. Even if he/she made growing pets, all stages must be completed as part of the contract - so even if the guest colorist becomes uninterested, a tagger can just tag the growth for him/her!  

Dragain

Wealthy Lover

Kaitaia

Anxious Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:53 am
But that can be done with breedings too. I honestly thought that all stages for everything had to be completed here anyway. Its just good practice in all of the B/C.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:57 am
Thailon and Cypran are invited to guest color for a later event, they did not participate in the halloween blood carnival.  

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Ktns

Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 am
Sirenz
We already a ton of colorists on staff so it doesn't make much sense to me to seek out some guests.

I really agree with this. Especially since familiar color unedits for raffles and things too.

I mean, sure, it would be great to color a Soq for being noticed/gold/experience/whatever reason, but, theres not really a whole bunch of need for it, and, well... thats what staff is for. Just like every other shop, if they are short, they open hiring.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:01 am
Kaitaia
But that can be done with breedings too. I honestly thought that all stages for everything had to be completed here anyway. Its just good practice in all of the B/C.

Not quite. Pre-done pets are completed by the time the owner wins them.
With a breeding, the colorist can't even begin until you have a winner. So if there is any issue on the reliability of the colorist, then there's a possibility of the winner either waiting a very long time for their baskets/growths, or worst case, the guest colorist flakes and another colorist has to add to their workload to make up for it.

There are a ton of fantastic artists in the R&C, for example, but sometimes actually getting a promised commission from them is a shot in the dark.  

Sabin Duvert

Winter Trash

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:04 am
I would also like to point out, as a new colorist that went through the entire hiring process, that it would be a subtle kick in the pants for people that have not gone through the hoops to just march in, color a few ponies, then march back out.

I worked damn hard to get myself hired. It's a privileged, and it should stay that way.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:07 am
Sabin Duvert
Not quite. Pre-done pets are completed by the time the owner wins them.
With a breeding, the colorist can't even begin until you have a winner. So if there is any issue on the reliability of the colorist, then there's a possibility of the winner either waiting a very long time for their baskets/growths, or worst case, the guest colorist flakes and another colorist has to add to their workload to make up for it.

There are a ton of fantastic artists in the R&C, for example, but sometimes actually getting a promised commission from them is a shot in the dark.
Yes. But I didn't mean completing a breeding before the breeding is chosen obviously. I meant rolling the slot, then doing all the stages when doing the basket stage. That way, in case the colourist goes MIA, the stages are done and finished and uploaded.

I understand that a guest colourist could roll a slot, then never even start the breeding. That's not the point, that happens with actual staff too. I'm just saying that, you could have a rule that if a guest colourist were to take on breedings, that they would have to finish all stages when the baskets were done.

I'm not really sure why someone would guest breed anyway. The payoff is very small for a lot of work. I'm just saying that it could work.

Guest colourists could be a giant hassle, that's for sure. But they could also be a great help with events and what not. I would think that most people that offer to be a guest at Soq would really want to actually guest. Just cause there's a few people could be flakes, you can't really write off the whole idea.

Kaitaia

Anxious Star

Yumitoko II
Crew

Eloquent Genius

14,575 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 am
Beejoux
I would also like to point out, as a new colorist that went through the entire hiring process, that it would be a subtle kick in the pants for people that have not gone through the hoops to just march in, color a few ponies, then march back out.

I worked damn hard to get myself hired. It's a privileged, and it should stay that way.
We know how tedious the hiring process was and how hard people had to work to get where they were so why not make guests jump a few hoops. If they really want it that bad. But really this should be or Sirenz choosing, I understand what you mean but your position is permanent and theirs is not.

Maybe just like the monthly nominations Sirez and the other staff could pick one or two people but yeah, circulation of lines would be your problem.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 am
Yumitoko II
Beejoux

We know how tedious the hiring process was and how hard people had to work to get where they were so why not make guests jump a few hoops. If they really want it that bad. But really this should be or Sirenz choosing, I understand what you mean but your position is permanent and theirs is not.

Maybe just like the monthly nominations Sirez and the other staff could pick one or two people but yeah, circulation of lines would be your problem.

Sisi already made a statement about this a little further up.  

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Graceangel

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:18 am
or. guest colorists can just be pools from applicants from previous hiring rounds where the shop liked them; but in the end for one reason or another decided to go with someone else.. like htey are doing with cypran or thalion.

for those who are saying there are plenty of people: i think the origination of wanting extra help here on part of shop goers might arise from where it's been mentioned in a few places that with several staff members either completely mia or leaving... and then when topics of what about this or that and the other thing.a nd the answer is to prevent burnout. someone who's only here to do a one time or once in a great while thing is not likely to be burned out.

and.. these are just suggestions... no reason for people to get their panties in a bunch. After all, if the management seriously doesn't like an idea.. It's not likely to go anywhere.  
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff