LOLLI qAq

Questionable Baby

24,800 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:06 pm
I know. I know. Hear me out though-

From a personal stand-point I have a story: For nearly four years(when I first found out I was pregnant with my daughter) I have slowly but surely been saving the funds to get an Angeni based on the feelings and joy giving birth to my daughter gave me. When I first started the quest "Love" was going to be her domain. Like any custom quest/idea, it ran the risk of that theme being taken- And it was. So I changed it. Three years later that domain was also taken.

I would never dream of asking someone to change their own quest or concept just because I "had it first" and nor would I ever intentionally guilt trip someone for wanting the same domain as mine. The way I see it is that it isn't right to lay claim to something so universal.

So thinking about that it dawned on me- The rule about not allowing two soq to have the same name was revoked because limiting something like that in a shop this size is ridiculous. Why, then, is the same essential rule still being used for Angeni domains?

I completely understand that Angeni are meant to be rare, but it's already become fairly obvious that the creativity pool for domain names is going to dry up fast. Pair that with the heartbreak I'm sure others have felt in having to rethink a years long angeni concept and one can see where this rule starts to look a little unnecessary.

So looking at this like the GD or the GCD ... Discuss:
- Would you also like to see domains able to be used by more than one Angeni?
- Should how the number of times a domain is used be limited?
- How would you feel about owners of Angeni choosing whether or not their soq's domain can be reused and going from there?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:12 pm

This was a concern I had to, especially if it came to domains for OCs and became retro-active.

Domains are going to dry up real fast.

Ktns

Lunatic

ArashiX
Crew

Divine Galaxy

13,850 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 pm
I have yet to start questing an Angeni...I can see the two sides to this:

Against: Wanting to have a totally unique domain/theme.
For: I couldn't get mine in time, due to ____ reason, why should I be punished for someone else's luck?

A lot of that is due to luck, or having better resources for funds than someone else. That is not to say the people having the domains in the first place don't deserve it, however.

I think there is some great potential to allow multiple domains, within reason.

We have two naturals based off the same animal allowed, one of each gender, as well as one for "regular" sized Soquili, and one for Usdia.

I don't mean to say we should have 139250357 Angeni with the domain of "Love" running around, so don't mistake that.

But I think that giving others the opportunity to have a domain they dearly wanted, but couldn't get the slot/money before someone else did is a good idea.

Like the Angels, there are more than one for "Healing" and whatnot...I'd say it's possible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:29 pm
Slightly off topic......
I don't know if its allowed (I keep asking but no one seems to know the answer XD) but I like the idea of Twins being able to share a domain.... maybe the limitation is that they can only have power over the domain properly when together or something.

------------------

Anywho.....
Some of the domains are rather broad and large, and could have easily been seperated into several smaller domains (of course with permission from the owner of that domain you can have your pet have a similar/joining domain) For example I own Future and Epee owns Time.

So perhaps rather than doubling the same domain we have them so they have a different focus with the same catagory.

If I still Arashi's "Healing" idea.... it could be Healing of 'Burns', 'Lacerations', or 'Fatal blows' etc..... ect......

I still think we should try and keep all the domains as different as possible, but understand the ultimate limitations of both avialable domains and imagination for knew ones. There will be lots out there... for example I would love to get 'Galaxies' but I could make it something smaller within that domain instead to aid with the expansion of avialable domains, BUT no one else would be allowed to have that smaller domain..... ya know?

Syaoran-Puu

Enduring Werewolf

10,275 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Team Jacob 100

AlexiaSilver

Welcoming Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 am
I remember there being a thread about owner's giving the permission for 'similar' cosplays.

Maybe once someone who gain's an Angeni with a Domain, it can be their choice if they want to allow someone else to have that same Domain.

Personally, I've had to change a few things around because the Domain I was going for was already taken, but I managed to find something close enough that I wouldn't have to change anything about the character.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:38 am
Before I give my point of view, Lolli, "Love" might be taken, but to me, your quest sounds more like the domain of "Motherhood" since its about your feelings towards your child. (: Love is very broad - love between family members, between friends, between lovers... So yeah, try "Motherhood"!

*cough* Now, onto the topic at hand.

Before I begin, I'm a little biased because I do frequent/lurk in other big shops and some of my ideas are based off their success stories. My opinion is that "If they are of similar popularity, what worked there should have some success here as well."

Domains
There are a million domains to choose from... Like I stated in the first paragraph of this post, "Love" covers a lot of things. Its a very general term - I can say "I love you" to my mum, brother, friend or lover and that one word conveys something different each time. So if say, I want a domain where the Angeni guards over the love between mated pairs - why not "Angeni of Lifemates" instead of simply "Love"? And if I wish to focus on ties between brothers, why not "Brotherhood"? Or if I want an Angeni who loves the heat and lives in lava, "Angeni of Volcanoes" instead of "Angeni of Fire". Or while "Angeni of the Ocean" had been taken by Sya's Maion, I might want an Angeni who specifically can control the ocean tide within a kilometer of himself - "Angeni of Tides".

I believe that the difference between main and sub domains is their "level" of power - a main domain Angeni would have control over anything connected to it. For example 'Fire' - the Angeni would be able to manipulate anything fire-related, including lava... Think Fire Benders of Avatar. However, if "Angeni of Fire" was to meet "Angeni of Volcanoes", the ability to manipulate lava would be nullified by "Angeni of Volcanoes" since the latter is the guardian of that specific domain! However, "Angeni of Volcanoes" would be unable to control anything but things in a volcano - lava, etc.

Having said that, a suggestion I have is for the "Taken Domain" list to be constantly updated for both staff and customers to see. Its difficult to have to backlog a year's worth of taken Domains, but if done regularly, it shouldn't be that difficult or tedious! That way, people wishing to get a "sub-domain" can PM those with a "main domain" to make sure they don't clash - for example, in my "Angeni of Tides" idea, I would contact Sya in order to get her approval.

For example, I wish to get "Angeni of Birds of Prey" one day. Let's say I already have her. So if someone wants to get "Angeni of Eagles", they are free to do so as long as they ping me to make sure our ideas don't clash. Someone who wants to do "Angeni of Song Birds" need not contact me as that's a 'main domain'. As for "Angeni of Birds", that person need not contact anyone else either. :3

While I agree that it sucks to have a domain snatched up before you due to maybe someone having more gold, luck, etc than you, I think that its possible to "replace" a domain with something more specific, like what Alexia did. Its not easy, but its not hard either... After all, I do like the idea of having one guardian per domain instead of having several guard it. Imagine if they have conflicting ideals! Anyway, whoever is a regular at SoA will know that this idea is an adaptation of their God/dess domain regulations. 83

Sya -
Maybe instead of sharing Domains, they could have complimentary domains? Like... Snow and Ice, or Fun and Games. xD I'm not sure what the current rule is. *has to go read up more*

Hope this wall of text makes sense!

Dragain

Wealthy Lover

Syaoran-Puu

Enduring Werewolf

10,275 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:46 am
Drag you basically said what I was trying to say just better put XD  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:47 am
If you want to see how Angeni Domains could work in a shop this size take a look at the SoA Gods.

yeah, all the major ones might get scooped up pretty fast, but with a little creativity you can some up with something similar. Especially since cosplays and 2nd gens can't really have a domain.

A DO agree that twin angeni should be able to share a domain, though.

I'm also not a fan of the whole "umbrella" domains - just because that gets really confusing real fast. And I've seen fights arise in similar situation where people argue that their domain is active over another. I think if you chose to get "Angeni of Eagles" when there's already an "Angeni of Birds of Prey" then you're just going to have to realize you're going to have a pet that's very similar to one out there already so they will have similar powers/influence, but I don't think you would have to ask PERMISSION from the Angeni of Birds of Prey to get him. Why? Because I think there are people out there who would just not play nice about it.

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Faid Shadowlight

Versatile Phantom

15,800 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:05 am
I think Dragain and Puu both pretty much have my thoughts on the matter down here so I wont bother repeating what everyone has said lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:21 am
I agree with Kamaki that SoA has a ton of gods all with really unique domains (although, I do think a lot of them are just plain ol' silly or stretching it). Also, I really don't like the idea of having to ask "can I do this domain" to someone who has something similar. I think that should be something the staff decides at the time of the custom being rolled or picked, because I trust their discretion on the issue.

I was asking not that long ago for the domain of "Suits" but was told, ohyohoho watch out because there's a "King of Hearts" running around. And when I asked if I could get Soq themed after each of the playing card suits, I was told I couldn't because there's a Queen of Hearts already, and cosplays can't be repeated. So the whole thing is kind of touchy right now, and you can't be "too close" to having a similar idea.

So, I have to agree with Lolli here that some (at very least the most basic or general of ideas) should be able to be repeated as long as the horse itself isn't being copied directly. You could have two Angeni of Love that both look and act very different. Where also, my King or Queen of Hearts would be not a copy, but my own inspiration (as I also want one of Spades, Diamonds, and Clubs: FULL HOUSE TEEPEE BABY).

There are lots of ways to use the same basic idea in different creative ways without stepping on any toes of other owners.  

StarieMichie

Unicorn

Revolutionary Roniel

Indestructible Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:00 am
Also agreed with Kamiki! If it works in SoA I think it would work here too.

It's too bad if your favorite domain is taken... but it'd just take a little creativity to find another one you liked. I don't like the idea of multiple angeni with one domain... because it'd get a bit absurd if there were twenty angenis of flowers or whatever. Somehow the shop manages with only allowing one of each cosplay character and with restrictions on wildlife soquili to keep originality up.

I'm trying to get myself a pure angeni and already have several different domains I think would be cool and would fit her. If one got taken, I'd just switch to a different one. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:54 am
Hehe. I disagree purely with the fact that domains would dry up fast. I think there was another thread that talked about domain and theme and debating the difference XD;

I don't think the same exact domain name should be shared though. As someone else has said, love can be friendly love, romantic love, etc. It's always possible to phrase it until you like it <3

But I also agree on the twin part <3;  

ATh e a r t
Crew

Romantic Lunatic

Dragain

Wealthy Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 am
Getting permission from the owner is just sort of like being polite about it? owo I know its a rule at SoA to get permission from people who own a Domain similar to yours before being able to get it as a custom, and people have to show prove that their Domain had been given the green light. Still, I guess that yes, not everyone is friendly or approachable so it might be better to leave it up to the staff when ordering a custom.

Anyway, SoA has an awesome system for Domains! I'm sure with a few tweaks, Soq can do something similar (such as limiting Angeni powers and posting a list of all Angeni together with their power and Domain). It'll take some work now since I think the taken Domains list is outdated, but it'll be good for the shop in the long run if its updated frequently.

As for the Queen/King of Hearts thing, I agree that yes, the design of the character would be different... However, it seems to me that you're not talking about the Domain? Just the Theme of the Angeni? Because honestly, "Angeni of King of Hearts" sounds really weird. xD But say, a Soquili inspired by "King of Hearts" (Theme) is the "Angeni of Heartbreaks"... Now that sounds better, and actually makes sense. |D I'm still waiting for the staff to sort these two things out.

To be honest, I think that unless it really is a cosplay, the same theme should be usable. Think about it - there are several Cheshire Cats in the shop: The Disney one, the Tim Burton one, and from what I know, two Cheshire-inspired OCs. To put it in Angeni terms, the 'Theme' of those Soquili is "Cheshire Cat" but they are all different designs - however, they would only be one 'Disney Cheshire' and one 'Tim Burton Cheshire' as those are cosplays.

Similarly, if I got "Tim Burton Queen of Hearts", it is a "Queen of Hearts" cosplay. However, it shouldn't stop someone else from designing a "Queen of Hearts" character and getting it as a custom as long as its not a blatant ripoff. :3 This discussion don't belong here though, since we are speaking about Domains, but feel free to carry it forward to a new thread. <3 I have points to support you with too! xD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:11 pm
The point has been brought up several times now that it would be ridiculous to have 20 angeni with the theme of "flowers" or "love" and I agree. That would be silly. Which is why I suggested that it be approached like the cosplays or wildlife breeds and be very limited.

Drag - Thank you for the suggestion, and as much as you're right the feeling I have are caused by my joining Motherhood, it wouldn't work with the personality I already have set for her. Innocence(my second domain choice) would have done that perfectly, and I invite anyone to look over my quest and try to come up with something equally accurate.
However that's not the driving factor for me making this suggestion. It's just a part of what I see as a developing problem. A symptom as opposed to the cause/illness if you would.

While I can certainly see the benefit in running Domains the way SoA does I agree that there is a very real risk of people not playing nice as far as permission goes.
That being said it was also suggested in conjunction with this that the Angeni of the broader domains be given higher powers and abilities over those that have domains within that theme (like "Love" and consequently "motherhood"). That just strikes me as a bad idea all around. Not only because it's a fact that people don't play nice(they don't have to- it's the internet) but also because you have to look at the existing Angeni with such broad domains. Why should they be allowed to have power over new Angeni cropping up simply because they were customed first?
They should be allowed to feel special for their amazing Angeni, so I will not pull the 'not fair' card, but other people will feel disheartened and put out should such an option be available.
Everyone views their quests/customs/soq as uniquely special and putting new Angeni under an "Umbrella" sort of diminishes that feeling.  

LOLLI qAq

Questionable Baby

24,800 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

moineau bavarde

9,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:48 pm
I think asking for permission would be a pretty bad idea; SoA is overhauling the god system at the moment, partly due to some problems that cropped up with the asking permission thing.

What if it was like wildlife and there was one of each gender?  
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff