Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ATh e a r t
Crew

Romantic Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:15 am
StarieMichie
In D&D, Gods share domains and get along just fine. You don't see Wee Jas and Veccna fighting because they both have the domain of "Magic". Why can't godly horses share too?

Even though they share the domain, it's not like they are acting the same in RPs and such, right? Like... (okay this is going to be kind of weird example) one could be the one that pulls rabbits out of the hat and the other saws people in half. Saying they have the same over all domain is true, but I'm pretty sure they fit into their own subcategories as well.

Also... Suggesting to take away an Angeni just because their owner isn't active in the shop sounds just kind of rude to me. I mean, these people did get their angeni fair and square. Just because they are not here, what gives anyone else the claim to them? It's like in any shop. If you went missing randomly, would you like to come back and find out that just because you were more concerned with RL and then had it taken away? I definitely would not like it.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:54 am
Because, these horses are played by humans and conflicts might arise due to conflicting ideals on how a domain should be ran, especially in RP/backstory. owo;

Again, I would like to point out that you're talking about sharing of themes, not domains if you're still referring to your "King of Hearts/Suits" example?

Theme = What the Angeni's design/physical appearance is based off of.
Domain = The area in Kawani which the Angeni is supposed to be guarding/their purpose in life/the reason their exist.

Dragain

Wealthy Lover

StarieMichie

Unicorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:10 am
@AT: Um, it's more like they're clerics would pull from the same spell list. I know, I know, it's a super nerdy example. But a lot of D&D Deities have dominance over the same domains, and none of them are stronger in it than other ones.

@Dragain: No, my D&D example was actually for Domains. Although, I admit I was kind of dumb early when getting themes and domains confused, but I have a grasp of it now, lol.

I do have to concede that players are flawed, and what works in a core book might now work as well when people are allowed to have control. In an ideal situation, it would work out great.

But also, who says that everyone's backstories need mesh? There are lots of people who never RP with some other people at all. People kind of stick to their own groups, right? Don't branch out too much? And also, I'm sure not everyone takes the time to read everyone else's backstories. Someone could be conflicting with you right now, and you might not even know it because there are SO MANY people in this shop.

Besides, if they're not directly hurting anyone with their RP/backstory, and having fun with their friends and their group, how does that hurt anyone? Like if someone has a really, really, really Mary Sue OC that they get made into a horse. You don't have to RP with them, and their story doesn't effect you because you choose to ignore it.

Like, right now, no one could give two shits that my Usdia has deep-rooted daddy-issues, and is trying desperately to come to grips with being a father himself. He's used humor as a defense tactic to keep from getting hurt, and he has to evaluate how to change that so he can raise his daughters right. But I'm having fun RPing him in my own little sandbox world.

What the individuals are doing doesn't really effect the group unless the group chooses to let it effect them.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:49 pm
I own one of the largest herds in Soquili, although its pretty new if you compare it to the other herds. I had to ICly move the whole herd once because someone PMed me and said "That place your herd currently is located? Yeah, that's part of my herd's territory... Mind moving?"

I could say "No, sorry, too much work and you didn't mark it down on the map beforehand like I did, so I didn't see it. Pretend the herds don't clash, okay?" But no, I moved the herd because I respect the fact that her herd had been there for a long time, and they have a history behind why they were there and stuff. It would be unfair for me to just come along and claim that land because ICly, it was a good place for my Soq's herd to settle. It was confusing in RP for a while too (ask my herd members), and there was the "Oh, if only we had the numbers to chase the other herd away" thing in RP, but because we solved it OOCly, we "solved" it ICly as well by moving.

Sure, you can ignore everyone and just RP within the same small group all the time, but what if someone you had RPed with went ahead and RP with someone with a conflicting idea?

Yes, its true that people don't usually take the time to go and read the backstory of every character in Soquili, but people are bound to clash sometime! For example, my Brioso is studying under Epine's Ambroise and now that Epine's herd is undergoing changes due to an IC reason, Brioso's plot is affected slightly as well. This means that everyone in my little sandbox world might be affected - Brioso's future mate, her future children, her future friends. I had intended for her to leave the herd, but I'm now considering asking the owner of her mate if she'll be alright with them staying near the new herd order... He's a wanderer, however, so that might not work.

I do briefly mention other Soqs in my posts when I RP with people, so if there is a clash, it'll just make it really confusing in RP. You could always avoid RPing with people who clash with you, but you can't stop people who had RPed with you from RPing with other people.

Big events are different from small events; I doubt anything my Usdia do will affect anyone else's plot, for example. However, what my herd Alpha Aviania decides will - she's stepping down as Alpha one day, so whoever the next leader is will get the chance to revamp the herd as she wishes to a certain degree.

If I get an Angeni of Time and decide that my Angeni can stop the "time" of individuals (aka stop them from ageing as a foal with permission from the owner), it would go against Epine's Angeni of Time who is like a "passive" guardian of time and is able to "see" the future of others unless they change their mind. A God-modding example, but an example nonetheless. Sure, those two might never meet, but what if I get permission from X's owner to freeze X in foal stage and X meets Epine's Angeni of Time?

"Change me back, please!"
"Um, what?"

Even if X do not meet Epine's Angeni of Time, X might meet Epine's other ponies or any pony that had met Epine's Angeni of Time and all of them will have a "What the-?!" moment. This means that X can never RP with anyone who had met Cyn Genesis, or knows him/the herd he resides in.

If I change the domain of my Angeni to say, "Aging", however, all that drama can be avoided. X is free to meet whoever he wants - he could even meet Cyn Genesis in order to ask him to "look into the future and tell me if this curse would ever be broken if I do this and this"... With permission from me and Epine of course. xD These things are usually plotted out to the end anyway, so you know what to expect! With conflicting ideals on how to run a Domain, you can't "plot to the end" without worrying about the owner of the other Angeni coming down and saying "Please don't do that - it clashes with what I've been doing for the last 3 years..."

Its just my opinion, yes, and call me selfish, but I really do not like the idea of working hard to make a backstory that goes well with the shop only to have a "new" Angeni with the same Domain do things differently and mess my plots up. >.<; A Domain is supposed to be special. Angeni have shared powers, but due to your domain, there are things that only YOU can do. Its unique. There can be a million Angeni, but yours is the only one who can make a flower grow from a seed in under a minute. Or make the stars brighter. Or talk to dolphins. Or make a human dance the cha-cha.

Yeah...

I understand where you're coming from, and because the domain that I wanted had been taken, I do wish they would allow domain repeats, but having been RPing here for over a year, I understand that people can be protective over their plots - including me. >.<; I would rather tweak my idea and let it bloom rather than kill it because I can't get my way. Its true that Angeni with the same domain might not clash and having people getting a domain and disappearing can get frustrating, but it applies to cosplays too...

So I love Sesshomaru - he already exists in his "human" appearance, so why can't I create one in his "demon dog" appearance since his owner is never around? They have differing powers, and he's more aggressive in the latter form & I believe he can't speak! They're different right? And they don't even have to acknowledge the fact that each other exist! I'll even give him a different name... But the fact remains that he is "Sesshomaru" and that he had been taken already. I just have to live with it.

Pretty bad example, I know, but it makes sense in my mind. 8D My mind is a pretty messed up place!

Dragain

Wealthy Lover

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:54 am
@StarieMichie - the difference is that in D&D - the deities are all NPCs who have been worked out at length by WotC staff and who are fairly sterile when it comes to actual rp interactions. For all we, the players of D&D know, they might have conflict [and some of them do when you're talking about opposing alignments] but it's never seen in game because it happens so very far above the PCs heads. And the domains are clearly delineated to each deity and their particular areas within it described. For the purposes of making the game easier to play [since the players are just getting gifted spells after all] there are spell lists that are generic for players to pull from.

However, if you look into the deity itself, you'll find huge differences. Example: Wee Jas has death as one of her domains - but she presides over the dead, and hates the undead and her clerics should try and destroy undead creatures, she encourages a full life and only cares about making sure the dead find their way to their final reward. On the other hand Nerull has death as one of his domains and wants everyone to be dead, hates all living things, and is thrilled when a necromancer joins his followers. Clerics of Wee Jas and clerics of Nerull normally do conflict alot. And if we were to have PC deities, I'm sure there would be many kinds of conflict, godmoding [no pun intended] and all manner of chaos.

Because this isn't a nice neutral game system with everything pre-sterilized and the Angeni who get the domains arn't just pulling from spell lists made fairly neutral by developers who spend years making things work, the comparison to such a system doesn't really work. Not to mention that D&D deities get multiple domains but that their choices are limited to the spell lists - because, again, it makes things easier for the game system.

I'm all about a good tt rpg - with a rule structure and fun inter-party dynamics. But that doesn't translate to Soquili - geeky or not - because it's not the same thing.  
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff