Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Deathly Hallows Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:12 am
We all knew this was coming, eventually. xD

So, I went to see it with some friends last night, at midnight. We decided that we didn't care how tired we'd be in the morning, we had to see the movie. And boy, am I glad I did. I don't know if it's just because it's the last, well sorta, movie in the series, or if it's because they director finally started doing something right, but I think, personally, this was the best film since the first. There were some changes from the book, some, but for the most part it was really faithful, and the way it ended, the second half is shaping up to be a wonderful conclusion to the series. Though, when I do see the final film, I feel like that'll be a huge chunk of my life, gone. ]':

So, what did you all think of the film? Please, let's assume (perhaps incorrectly xD) that there are people in this guild who have not see the movie, and if we're to discuss any of the plot, please put any spoilers in white.

Don't be the guy who says, for the world to see, that Dumbledore dies on page 596, after Snape kills him. Not cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:43 am
Well, it is safe to assume someone hasn't since I haven't. Of course, I don't plan to watch the movie, and I've read the books, so I don't care about spoilers, but... xD

My friend thought it was pretty good, she said. She went with her friend last night just to hang out. She's not a big HP fan, so she wasn't really excited.

So many people I know were completely freaking out about HP though. I think a good group of them went to wait in line at like 9PM, dressed up and everything.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 am
I was one of those who waited in line with my friends for three hours. None of us were dressed up, but we waited three hours, outside, on a Boston night. xD

So worth it.

Have you seen any of the films? Generally, after the second, I disregard their existence, but this one was really impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 pm
I've seen 1-5. I stopped seeing them in theaters after the fourth. I've pretty much hated them all. xD; So, it's so not worth it to go see them anymore. I think that the movies just aren't my type of movies to begin with, so them ******** with the books just makes it worse. I prefer the focus on characters and character development than just action-y plots.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Maze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:07 pm
I've read up to the fourth book, but seen the movies because there's always someone who needs company to geek out to HP. I went today and found it to be too predictable with a really dumb bit in the end (Hypothermia, HELLO) but I've seen worse.

Some of the actors seem to know what they're doing, too, so that helps!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:41 pm
Okay... Would somebody who thought Movie 1 was "quaint at best" and hated all the others for their cheap props and low-quality CG be impressed? Or wait for the rental?  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

comfylove
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:05 pm
I thought it was the best one yet. I loved it.
But I cried a lot. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:30 pm
@Pain and Lychee- Well like I said, I really, really absolutely, with the essence of my entire being abhor films 3-6, and I was really, really impressed with this one. Not sure if I can convince you, but it's really worth checking out. I will say, though, now that we're talking about it, the special effects are really good, but they're a little repetitive (not in a way that's bad, but just reused quite a bit). It seems, too, that they've decided to forgo incantations, and have just resorted to having the battles be characters spamming nondescript spheres of explody light. It's enjoyable, but I feel like if you're nitpicky, it'll get to you.

@Maze- Yeah, there were some really stupid things (which, though, were in the book).
Harry's really that stupid at that part, in the book. Also, when Nagini attacks him, for whatever reason, he decided to defend himself with everything but his damn wand. Really. A stool?

@Comfy- I still prefer the first, just because of (no pun intended) the magic I felt when I first saw it. I was, was...What? Nine, I think, when it came out? I'll never forget the way it made me feel. And, yeah, I was close to shedding some manly tears when Dobby got pwnt.

Nexus Carbuncle

comfylove
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:38 pm
The first and the second were pretty boring to me (I still love them, though). In the way I say they are boring... I'd so much rather watch GoF, OotP, or HBP over the first two. They were very true to the books, but that was kind of all they were for me. No creative input from the movie makers, and if I am going to see a movie, I want something to be different.

HP7pt1 makes me look forward to part 2.

I cried so many times, especially that part. Omg. spoiler: All I could do was picture him from the second movie when he was so happy when Harry freed him... GOSH.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:50 pm
I'm a "OMG U CHANGED ONE LINE GTFO" guy, I'll admit. Dunno, I'm snobbish like that. xD

Alright, so, (Spoiler smile
when Hedwig died, I felt that scene was poorly executed. Okay, so, Harry's signature owl is protecting him, so clearly you've got the real one. So...Shoot the owl, and then leave? All I saw was a guy fly up, shoot Hedwig, pretty much say "Lol, U mad, bro?" and fly off. What. The. Hell?

Nexus Carbuncle

Fuji_hobo_jacket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:58 pm
^agree. That scene was way different in the book and I agree it was poorly executed.

Also spoilers. My little 6 year old cousin, who hasn't read the 7th book yet, is only through like, 5 or something is going tomorrow. He has just fallen in love with Dobby and that elf is now his favorite character. Neither his mom nor I have the heart to tell him. sad  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:22 pm
Nexus Carbuncle
I'm a "OMG U CHANGED ONE LINE GTFO" guy, I'll admit. Dunno, I'm snobbish like that. xD

Alright, so, (Spoiler smile
when Hedwig died, I felt that scene was poorly executed. Okay, so, Harry's signature owl is protecting him, so clearly you've got the real one. So...Shoot the owl, and then leave? All I saw was a guy fly up, shoot Hedwig, pretty much say "Lol, U mad, bro?" and fly off. What. The. Hell?
I didn't have an issue with it. Probably because I hated it in the book since it was so pointless, so I knew I wasn't going to like it in the movie.

Although, I was a little hopeful that he was just going to let her go...  

comfylove
Crew

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:52 pm
Yeah, that scene in the book still strikes me as a "Hm, let's roll some dice and whoever's number on this piece of paper comes up, I'm going to kill them for no reason whatsoever!" I'm not sure if it was more or less stupid than the infamous curtains, but it didn't make me feel what I'm sure I was supposed to have felt.... stare  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 am
Nexus Carbuncle
Alright, so, (Spoiler smile when Hedwig died, I felt that scene was poorly executed. Okay, so, Harry's signature owl is protecting him, so clearly you've got the real one. So...Shoot the owl, and then leave? All I saw was a guy fly up, shoot Hedwig, pretty much say "Lol, U mad, bro?" and fly off. What. The. Hell?

Hell, I wasn't even sure the damned bird was really dead. Could've just as easily been knocked aside. Still, a fall from that high is probably not conducive to survival but she might've regained consciousness before actually hitting the ground, so!

As for Dobby I was.. particularly unmoved. XD; It was so obvious that was going to happen! And I hadn't even read the bloody books! And then Harry's all "No! A proper funeral! Without magic!" and then they give the poor thing the shallowest grave imaginable in a dune-filled country. That's never going to last.

But the whole Ron got splinched thing makes a little more sense now, having read both the comments here and there, because they did cut out that part about the house and the letter thing. Is there anything important mentioned in there that I should know?  

Maze

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:03 pm
HEY, don't diss the stool. Have you ever fought a GIANT REPTILE?

Also, I saw it the other day, & I dug it well enough.
They changed the snatchers up some. It bugged my friend because Fenrir Greyback was supposed to be the leader, & they just made him a thug. I didn't care because the dude they replaced him with had reeeeeally great pants, & hair, & a pretty good jacket.

Also, NOT ENOUGH NEVILLE.

The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces