[A] Lovemate vs Lifemate Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't know that there were two terms to begin with. I have only recently returned to Soquili, and up until now I did not notice this distinction. I saw the RP Guidebook linked in the announcement yesterday, and I think it's a great resource. But I came across something that I found to be a somewhat sticky issue, and that is the use of two separate terms to refer to longterm mates. I'm going to go ahead and quote the exact phrasing, to help illustrate this issue.

RP Guidebook
Soquili and Lifemating-
Some soquili adults may find that one guy or gal that they want to spend the rest of their lives with. Well there is good news for those soquili; they can become lifemates! Lifemating is akin to marriage for humans. It is saying to the mate to be that they are going to stay together for all their breedings.

Okay, so, great. There is even a link that leads to the mates and permission thread. This is where I've always gone to post my lifematings, and for some reason I thought that my Soquili who were not able to breed together, but who had lasting, and profound bonds would be afforded the same treatment. Not so, however, when you look at the post on Lovemates.

RP Guidebook
Soquili and Lovemates-
Lovemates are soquili that aren’t able to breed with each other for whatever reason. It could be that one soquili has maxed out on breedings, a same gender pair, an usdia x full-sized pair or any other reason why their breedings cannot go to just one soq despite being loyal to their love(s) you could think of. This is just a term for soquili that can only love and never have children.

So, my Soquili that cannot breed together can only be lovemates? They don't have the 'marriage' status given to Soquili who can breed together? Why is there a separate category based on breeding? We are, in effect, giving greater status and veneration to one type of pairing simply because it is capable of producing offspring. How is that beneficial to Soquili? It is an unnecessary addition, in my opinion.

If I wanted to breed my Soquili, but also wanted to lifemate them to a certain Soquili that they could not breed with down the line, I would:

1) Not lifemate them immediately. There is no reason why they cannot be lifemated in the future, and therefore be able to remain true to each other.

2) Simply plot them as having feelings for each other which could not yet be realized to their fullest extent because they wanted a family.

Also, if a pair is incapable of breeding together, why not make it possible for a surrogate to be found, and have that not be considered to be "cheating" on their lifemate? If all parties are agreed that the desired result is children that they could not otherwise have, where is the bad there?

In short, I don't agree with giving two separate names for a profound bond between Soquili based on breeding status. Are my Soquili who cannot breed less capable of forming profound, and meaningful bonds than those who are? Why does it seem that breeding capability is rewarded above a plotted, and not breeding related relationship?

Edit: Taking into consideration something a friend mentioned, if the importance is to easily make a distinction between mates that can breed and mates that cannot breed for new roleplayers and etc, one way to help fix the issue of inequality would be to create a list of lovemates, or to include them along with the lifemate list.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:24 pm
^agree to dis.

Honestly, I don't understand why there needs to be a distinction. It's clearly understood that same-gender Soquili or same-species Soquili (depending on the breed, of course), can't breed. I don't think that means they need their own, special term. What's wrong with being lifemates and agreeing to have surrogates/celibacy, even? I understand people want baskets, so like Cherie said, if both parties speak to one another and accept the terms, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to have surrogates!

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

Kirowyn Love

Eloquent Raider

14,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:09 pm
I also agree that it really doesn't need to have two seperate names for the exact same thing.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:15 pm
For rp purposes it's the exact same thing.

From the point of view of the breeders, it would complicate things making them the same, we'd have to do more work by having to look back to see if a pairing is a lifemating to eachother, or to someone else and their "mate in the breeding fraffle is just a surrogate. If it is surrogate, then that's not their lifemate, and just because they're dedicated to one sow as their one true love, that would influence how many baskets they have with their surrogate.

It's not meant to make anyone feel as though their lifemating is in anyway less meaningful then a lifemating, but combining them seems like it would greatly comicate things for the list makers and colorists.

EDIT: lovemates have always had the right to breed through surrogates. Intact one pair was rolled in one of the last breeding raffles. Ellial's lovemates to Zaitus, but just had kids with a surrogate.  

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Kirowyn Love

Eloquent Raider

14,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 pm
Beejoux
For rp purposes it's the exact same thing.

From the point of view of the breeders, it would complicate things making them the same, we'd have to do more work by having to look back to see if a pairing is a lifemating to eachother, or to someone else and their "mate in the breeding fraffle is just a surrogate. If it is surrogate, then that's not their lifemate, and just because they're dedicated to one sow as their one true love, that would influence how many baskets they have with their surrogate.

It's not meant to make anyone feel as though their lifemating is in anyway less meaningful then a lifemating, but combining them seems like it would greatly comicate things for the list makers and colorists.

EDIT: lovemates have always had the right to breed through surrogates. Intact one pair was rolled in one of the last breeding raffles. Elliel's lovemates to Zartius, but just had kids with a surrogate.

I can see how it could possibly be confusing, but then again, if people KNEW that they were not allowed to put the status of the couple they're entering as Lifemates in the case of surrogates, then that problem would be solved. After all, putting the pair up you wouldn't be able to say they're lifemates since that's not what the breeding agreement would be.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:18 pm
Surrogates are allowed with Lovemating -- the description means they cannot have children WITH EACH OTHER (aka are biologically incompatible due to species or gender).

For Example: Cuauhcoatl is an Angeni, Ikinya is an usida. They are lovemates, since they are escentially lifemated, true to each other, but cannot breed. In order to have children, they must either adopt, or surrogate/get a donor.

The reason for having a separate terminology for it is for the following reasons:

1) its a way that will keep people surrogating from getting in trouble for being with someone other then their "lifemate" when breeding, when someone new/not understanding it see's it and goes "Whoa hey, they say their lifemated with so and so here, and are entering here, they didnt break it and are just entering without the forced break on it.

Then us digging around, not knowing that the 'lifemating' wasnt an actual breeding involved one, perhaps not even knowing what gender or species the lifemate is, and bugging surrogate/not submitting them for breeding cause of misplaced information and having to ask WHY you're breeding.

"So and so has maxed out breedings and we cant mate. So its a lovemating, with a surrogation"

"Oh.. OH! Derp. @_@ No wonder we couldnt find anything on it but had you talking about it. Sorry."

Everyone's time wasted because of someone trying to keep people from breaking the rules might not have understood that it was a different sort.

So its sort of like how, in some places, the state can marry you, even if a church refuses.

2) its mostly just an RP device set up to help prevent confusion, and doesnt actually HAVE to be used in such a matter: Some people just didn't know how to describe their non-lifemated life partner and it was a simple way to say it in short terms during the art contest for couples.

We said " Fling, life mate or lifemate equivilant" and kept having people ask about whether or not their gay couples could be drawn in the couples catagory. Adding the lovemate solved the issue for that instant, and we added the terminology to it for the sake of Roleplayers, and to also add a definition for those who might see it and go "wtf is that?" and understand it doesnt actually gain you anything breeding slot wise, its just a roleplay terminology.  

mindsend
Vice Captain

Ghost Trash

17,975 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50

Thalion

Conservative Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:20 pm
As someone from the 'other side of the argument' it's nice to see a distinction between lifemates and lovemates. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that originally there even was a term for Soquili who were in a relationship outside of a male/female of the same species. I doubt that the staff of Soquili meant for anyone to take offense at a separation in terms. As mentioned above, it's helpful to the colorists to have the distinction. As someone on the traditional side of the fence, I appreciate the difference in terms. :3  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:22 am
The distinction between the terms "lovemate" and "lifemate" are for OOC reasons only - so that lovemates can choose (if they desire) to surrogate. Lifemates *cannot* breed outside of their chosen partner without breaking the lifemating.

That is the ONLY distinction between love and lifemate. They have equal status ICly. No list is kept of lovemates because the lifemates list existed only to facilitate colorist's duties in checking for breeding permissions. At that, the list is out of date and due to be phased out.

See mindsend's post above for a more detailed explanation.  

Felmino

Syaoran-Puu

Enduring Werewolf

10,275 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 am
If they are for OOC purposes only, would a 'lovemate' couple be able to call each other 'lifemate' in RP?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:59 am
Syaoran-Puu
If they are for OOC purposes only, would a 'lovemate' couple be able to call each other 'lifemate' in RP?

I would assume so because that is technically what they are, a mated couple who intends to spend the rest of their lives together. My Ellial refers to Zaitus as his lifemate and always will.

As for OOC purposes, when it comes to breedings I can see the need for the distinction. And honestly, it doesn't really change anything. Just that if you come across a form for some event thing and it's got a "Lovemate" thing, that's what you do the little yes in to indicate that this stallion/mare is with a same sex partner.

One thing I have been curious about, and this is probably off topic, can a same sex couple get their mate's name put on their tag?  

Ishtanballa

Romantic Spotter

Selalusia

Mewling Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:12 am
I think they should be able to get their mate's name put on their tag! 8D
even if it's same sex couple, or usdia regular sized, ect ect.

Not sure if there'd be any problems with that though? Breeding wise... *shrugs* owo but I think they should be able to get the names on their. I think it's nice to be able to see straight away from the tag if that soq has a partner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:47 pm

If it's a question of an OOC thing, why is it in the RP Guidebook, as simply part of the setting? I agree that they should be able to get their mate's name put on their tag, though that becomes complicated in the case of a Soquili with multiple lovemates, assuming such a thing is possible. Personally, I am going to continue to ICly use "lifemate" to refer to those relationships of a permanent nature.

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Niloufer

Magical Shapeshifter

8,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:34 pm
Miss Cherie

If it's a question of an OOC thing, why is it in the RP Guidebook, as simply part of the setting? I agree that they should be able to get their mate's name put on their tag, though that becomes complicated in the case of a Soquili with multiple lovemates, assuming such a thing is possible. Personally, I am going to continue to ICly use "lifemate" to refer to those relationships of a permanent nature.

I don't see how a horse could have multiple love mates, sence a horse cannot have multiple life-mates. Multiple Surrogates? Yeah 8D

And its not Completely an OOC thing, from my understanding ( More like 95%), It has some minor effects in rp, namely, that if your soquili has a life-mate, if can never breed with anyone if that life-mate. If your couple happens to be non-compatible, then no chance of surrogates if they want foals.

It allows wiggle room for non-breeding compatible couples to breed, without being unfaithful to eachother, and breaking their "vows" so to speak. I personally, refer to all of my partnered pairs as lifemates, but for breeding confusion they have minorly different set of rules.

If Birdy found out her mate went to breed with another mare because he wanted more kids for them.... >_> It would not end well.

Tsunami ( Who might go lesbian o-O ) Would not think twice if her mate came asking her if she could find a stallion to father children for them. Because, it wouldn't really be cheating.

IMO~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:28 pm

XD

You people with your new fangled system confuse me. I appreciate the clarification. If there's only one mate, they should be able to go on the cert, yes?

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

one over three

Feline Cat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:36 pm
This looks like a useful distinction for the colourists to me.

I'd wonder if I could 'lifemate' a couple that can't breed and sacrifice their ability to use surrogates? But that's my only question. If I had a couple using surrogates I'd have no problem making use of this distinction. There's nothing stopping me from using the term lifemate in RP still after all. ;d  
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff