[A] Lovemate vs Lifemate Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Yeah, I had wondered that too. If, since they are being true to each other, they sacrificed their ability to breed, why not then be given the title 'lifemates'? I can understand the usefulness of the term OOCly, as it has been explained to me, but in a case like that, I guess I don't see why the term cannot be applied.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:51 pm
I could see them being worried about people flipping between love and lifemate. But maybe switching back to lovemates could carry the same penalty as breaking?  

one over three

Feline Cat

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:00 pm

That makes sense, as they would, in effect, be breaking the lifemating.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 am
*reposting because I forgot the official document thinger*

All it is is for unconventional but true loves, but in RP form only. So really I think you guys are thinking too much on this lol: ALL IT IS IS AN OPTIONAL TERMINOLOGY FOR PEOPLE TO USE IN RP. IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING OOCly, JUST IN CHARACTER. Its no New system, all it is is a terminology made for the sake of people getting confused when people say "This is my lifemate"

"But you're a male Kirin and he's a male usida. What?"

"Well, we can't breed with them, we need surrogations"

"*thinking of the OOC use of lifemates rather then IC use*...But thats not how lifemates work!"

By giving people a COMPLETELY OPTIONAL terminology they can use and have defined for them by the shop, people can just say "Lovemate" and have less issues with people flailing around and getting frustrated. I've actually gotten PM's about unconventional pairings 'cheating' during my breedings because they are "lifemated to someone else", so being able to say "their lifemate is the same gender they are -- they're ICly Lifemates, not OOCly"

"How is it possible for there to be a difference?"

So the term Lovemate was, until apparently this point, was something introduced as an ability to simply answer questions, "She calls her her lifemate -- its basically a lovemating, here have a link to what that means"

And Nilo's actually wrong: it IS possible for Soquili to be loyal to a small group of what they consider lovemates, which is actually mentioned (or at least was at some point) in the definition of Lovemates at some point at least as one of the places it can be used for it.

For example: You have a group of three males and three females of a little more 'free spirits' so to speak. They don't go out and find those from outside the group without permission from EVERYONE WITHIN IT, much like how a same sex pair must agree to a surrogate/donor, and are all devoted to each other.. However, its 3 girls and 3 boys. Very unorthodox in human standards, yes, but actually common in IRL horses and animals instincts.

They cannot set their soquili OOCly for breedings as a lifemate without showing loyalty to only one of their loves ICly, and thus have a "fling" by colorist standards instead since they're only breeding once with each one of the mares, and the mares once with each one of the stallions in the group.

This is a situation where they would be able to mate, but would still be "lovemates" due to the fact they are loyal and true to each other as a group, which, in classical horses can be seen as actually normal. They all love each other, but cannot separate themselves one on one without rejecting the others.

However, ICly in the roleplays, its a group of people that cannot or will not breed with just one soquili, however they are staying in a polyamorous, closely knit relationship of what are essentially multiple lifemates.

Once again, OOCly, its just a bunch of flings, does nothing for favor in breedings: You dont get any extra chances to breed for them, you don't get anything special for it. Breaking them, since its an RP thing, doesn't do anything to them either: They get no benifits for it, and they get no penalty for it in return.

However, if people flip from love, to life, then back to love -- they get the same penalty for breaking a lifemating, if it was an OOC lifemating for breeding purposes, because they broke the form they made.

1) Lovemating does nothing for you, I don't see why you guys are arguing about it when its just an RP terminology you don't actually need to use, its just there for people who want to use it.

2) It doesn't do anything for you in the breedings, it just gives us colorists a quick "They're lovemated by Out of Character standards, they just call each other lifemates in character." when people try to report people for 'cheating the system' by being 'lifemated to one, and trying to breed with this other one' when they hadn't filled any lifemating forms, no forms are done for lovemating: The lifemating forms are a breeding permission form OOCly.

3) No, people do not and never will get penalties for 'breaking lovematings' since it'd be like trying to penalize people for a child going "SCREW THE ESTABLISHMENT" and leaving their family/herd: Its RP Only. They get no benefits, and thus no penalties, since its just an RP Terminology.

4) Multiples CAN be lovemates, if all of the multiples agree to it at least: Its a semi-open relationship, where all must agree to anyone added to it.

5) This is getting rather silly by this point, since its not like it really has any affect on anyone but ease of explanation when there's confusion between surrogate breedings OOCLy and IC RP. I don't see why you people must keep trying to put so much into it when it's basically arguing how a slang word in the urban dictionary affects you, when you can simply choose not to use it and instead make a more complex sentence to describe what you 'mean' and possibly use it as part of the RP.

So please. PLEASE. If you don't like the terminology, don't use it for yourself, but let others use it if they desire. It's as simple as that.

I like using 'frabjous' but you can say "Fair, fabulous and joyous" instead.

Arguing over such things is always going to result in the same answer:

"You don't have to use this terminology, its just there for those who DO wish to use it, so we're not changing it. Its not a rule, just a word."  

mindsend
Vice Captain

Ghost Trash

17,975 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50

mindsend
Vice Captain

Ghost Trash

17,975 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:40 am
PS

Lifemates cannot be submitted into the breeding permissions form if they cannot breed, since its a breeding permission.

Lovemates don't sacrifice their chance to breed: Its an RP terminology. However, they are welcome to choose NOT to use surrogates, and can choose to call each other lifemates, even though they are not and cannot be officially posted as such. However, its up to the owners, we have no regulation over it.

No sacrifices made, it just means they can mate with other people for cases of surrogation FOR their lovemate, but Love and are Loyal to their lovemate, even if they are breeding with someone else. I've said it repeatedly, lol

"All it is is an RP terminology. They can breed with anyone they want, but are Loyal to one person/their intimate group".  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:26 am

I'm not sure what you're reading out of what was written, because as far as I am able to tell, you are not responding to anything new. The bit about being lifemates OOCly as opposed to being lovemates OOCly was where the penalties for breaking it came in. Also, you have not answered whether such mates can be listed on certs. That is all I want to know. I have gathered that I don't have to use it ICly, and I'm not going to, but the importance, to me, is on the OOC impact, here.

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

mindsend
Vice Captain

Ghost Trash

17,975 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 am
I didn't answer whether or not they can be listed on certs, because we haven't figured that out yet -- I answered what I could before we have our next meeting and bring it up in it.

And OOCLy, there is no such thing as a lovemate, since OOCly it's not officially tied to anything, which is what I was saying.

Its an RP terminology that is optional, which means its an In Character thing, not an Out of Character thing.

The only times its used OOCly is for The Following

1) When people go "RAWR" and point people out to us, at which point we can look at the situation and answer it with "Its a lovemating -- RP based only, surrogations are allowed with that."

2) for simplifying definitions in art contests where there is a "couples" category, so we can stop getting constant questions about if their same gender couples can be drawn, or if its restricted to Lifemates (aka: officially breeding ones), or Flings (Also a breeding terminology). Without adding Lovemates, people were thinking it was restricted to those who can officially breed. Which is why the terminology was created: To show they don't have to be pairings that actually breeding/trying to breed.

That is all it is for.

So really, this needs to change from a "Lifemating Vs Lovemating" feedback thread, but closed/altered on the first post into a feedback thread for "Allowing Lovemated/Same gender pairings have their lover's name on their tag in the 'mate' category with or without giving up their right to breed."  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:35 am
one over three
This looks like a useful distinction for the colourists to me.

I'd wonder if I could 'lifemate' a couple that can't breed and sacrifice their ability to use surrogates? But that's my only question. If I had a couple using surrogates I'd have no problem making use of this distinction. There's nothing stopping me from using the term lifemate in RP still after all. ;d

If you really want to, I don't see a problem with it? The "lovemates" class exists to facilitate surrogate parenthood, without getting hammered with a six month ban each time.  

Felmino

Feedback Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces