Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
College Students and High School Seniors

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

All topics must have a poll
  Please read the guild rules
View Results

Secret Kirari

Magical Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:19 pm
Anyone feeling generous tonight? I have some homework that I actually need to survey people for--it's due tomorrow. I need three nice people to voluntarily answer these five questions about the (American) college application process and give me their names and educational levels, as per my teacher's instructions.

If you want to help, but don't want to leave your name, don't worry: I'm not going to creep on you or make you leave it here for the world to see, so you can even email it to me at foiltincan@aim.com if you still want to help. I appreciate all help!

I'm also offering 500 gold to the first three people to give me the information I need (so if you email me, please say so here so that I can make sure I get it to you properly and don't give someone else credit, haha).

Here's the questions:

1. How early did you start your applications?

2. What was the earliest registration date that a college you applied for had?

3. How did you decide what colleges and/or scholarships to apply for?

4. What do you recommend as a first course-of-action for a college applicant?

5. Overall, do you feel like you got started early enough or do you feel like having started earlier would have made everything easier?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm
i'm canadian, sorry, i would do it for you if i could.  

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500

Secret Kirari

Magical Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 pm
Thanks anyways! The thought is appreciated smile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:48 pm
October.

as in deadline? Nov. 1st.

Met with a college adviser, looked over the internet, word of mouth.

Take the SAT as soon as possible so you have time to take it again and SAT IIs and subject tests. Otherwise, you'll be crunched for time. Also, take the ACT, you might score higher.

5. Overall, do you feel like you got started early enough or do you feel like having started earlier would have made everything easier?
If I started earlier it would've been so much easier and less stressful. I should have begun essays and my college searches during the summer and took my tests earlier.

Marcella.
Senior.

Tus Ojos Oscuros..

Secret Kirari

Magical Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:51 pm
Thank you very much! I'll set up the trade right away.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:07 pm

I started in Early September and October. The last one I ever submitted was in November.

The earliest Deadlines I've seen, were December 1st.

Well, I started with small ones first. I decided which scholarships would pay for my books (And my A Clarinet, since I needed one for college), and chased those first. Then, I looked at how much I needed to attend the school, while keeping my parents' payments reasonble.

If you can, visit the school before making a decision to apply. I can't stress this enough, actually. The school that I wanted to attend, I'd been visiting for three years, and I never, ever felt like I belonged there. The professors loved me, and I was offered a pretty good amount of money, but I couldn't place myself there. The school I go to now, I walked into, and after about ten minutes, I knew I was going there. [:

Also, if possible, sit in on classes, see if you like how they're taught, look at the dorms. You can just settle for a school, but it will suck profoundly if you get stuck somewhere you don't want to be for four years.

Absolutely, I started early enough. I began making contact with my professor two years before applying, and because of him, I knew exactly what to expect from the school.

Hope this helps!

Nexus Carbuncle

lgtenos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:40 pm
I know the homework deadline has passed, but I was bored:

I didn't apply for any universities. I actually went to community college, which doesn't require a lengthy/harsh application process (at least mine didn't). All I needed was a proof of a high school diploma, and I got instant admission. I transferred to a university (the one I'm at now), but the transfer process is a whole different story.

See #1

At the time, I wanted to be a firefighter. The college I attended had a program specific to fire technology. I didn't apply for scholarships, because all of my high school's scholarships were meant for people going to four-years, not two-years.

DON'T PROCRASTINATE!

5. Overall, do you feel like you got started early enough or do you feel like having started earlier would have made everything?

See #1  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff