Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Gay, Lesbian Punishment? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ll-Mystic Rhythms-ll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:45 am
I heard on the news: "Gay and Lesbian kids are most likely to be punished by their parents…."

Now I strongly feel that is wrong. Parents should accept how their kids' sexuality is. Not "punish" them for what they are probably going to be for the rest of their lives or so.

Discuss….  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 am
While I agree that it isn't right, it doesn't change the fact that it does still happen, and there's nothing you can really do aside from bringing awareness to this issue.  

Ayame_Rikimayu

MAGIEmage

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:38 pm
I agree. It isn't right to blame kids for something they can not control, but it happens all the time. Two friends of mine are openly gay. Both my friends parents don't accept this, and are constantly getting rude remarks about their sexuality by their own parents.

One of my friends is a lesbian. Her mother is very against her for being so. Her mother doesn't even let her stay the night at other girls houses because she is gay.

My other friend is a gay male. His parents have found out on a couple of occasions, but simply refuse to accept that their eldest son be gay. They even made him go to his Paster try to, 'rid if of his gay omen.' Ridicules, I know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:46 pm
it's terrible that this sort of thing happens but mankind's is hobby is judging people for stupid reasons.

i guess there's not much we can do about it, i guess there are a lot of ignorant people who hate the purple skies and don't really want to change their opinions anytime soon. it's sad that people judge people for being different.

those type of parents may as well have said to their kids "it's ok to be different--just don't be gay or everybody will hate you and i'll have to punish you for the rest of your life then you'll burn in eternal hell-fire"  

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200

EvanescentGypsy

Dangerous Lover

8,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:49 pm
It is my belief, that when you love someone it should be no matter what and if you really love them you can accept them for who they are. So I think parents should accept and love their children no matter what not make them feel bad for something that is just part of who they are. But that is my opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:50 pm
I agree that it shouldnt happen. But it dose. When i first came out to my mom she smaked me up side the head and started crying.
And now she dosnt belive me lol  

XxFluffy Bunny PoopxX

ttayylorr4930

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:01 pm
I do think that its wrong and really disturbing but I think that were neglecting to notice that there are a lot of people that are lesbian/gay/bi are who are accepted for there parent on who they are. I know plenty of people who are gay and have been expected and supported by there parent. I realize that some parents don't but I'm just saying that there still a lot that do.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:32 am
ttayylorr4930
I do think that its wrong and really disturbing but I think that were neglecting to notice that there are a lot of people that are lesbian/gay/bi are who are accepted for there parent on who they are. I know plenty of people who are gay and have been expected and supported by there parent. I realize that some parents don't but I'm just saying that there still a lot that do.

I'm not really surprised. People don't tend to go "oooh- Look at all the tolerance and acceptance of gays!" but I think it's just like making comments about how integrated a school is and how Blacks and Mexicans are being treated as if they're as good as Whites make people sound like really horrible bigots.
If I heard someone talking like that, that would be my first assumption; that that person was hopelessly ignorant and judgmental.
People don't make a lot of noise about people doing the right thing. The's the random Human Interest story on the local news, but how many people even watch the news anymore when thew can selectively view their interest online?

Some of my children's friends are afraid to come out to their families because of Catholicism and they know there's a good chance they'll be disowned and excommunicated. I worry about them.
I don't worry about he friends that have come out and have the support of friends and family nearly as much.  

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

kurotsuki22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:15 pm
Damn rules of society. And religious rules. And homophobia.

I'm glad that none of the above apply to my own parents. Not that I've come out to them yet, but...it's nice to know they'd never hate me for it.

That's a really frightening fact, though...to think that even their own parents can't accept them for who they are...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 pm
Accepting your child's sexuality is important. Even if you hate them, there is no need to show it. Ignore them, or send them away, if you hate them that much. There is no need to remark rudely or to abuse.  

Rainbow Neko Fairy

Clean Smoker

latinhoneybee

Celebrating Reveler

10,600 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:35 pm
I came out as bi my freshman year of high school. I had a MAJOR crush on a girl a few years older than me. It was the last year my former step mother lived with us. She said some super nasty things, including lumping me in with ***** and such. It was disgusting. Given, this is the woman who told me from age 7 to damn near 16 that I was a useless, fat, (I was never over 120 in HS), ugly person who wouldn't even be able to whore myself for money because even crack whores are prettier than me. evil

My dad just ignored it, in typical: If he doesn't acknowledge it it doesn't exist. My grams was pretty open and accepting (she's awesome heart ) but my aunt was kinda like "It's just a phase." I don't know that I was punished/ disciplined more because I came out than otherwise. But that last years was the worst. The most violent, abusive time of almost 9 years. Part of me wonders if she hadn't found out if maybe it've been better. But I doubt it. Those kids that don't have support are the ones you see on the news, because they kill themselves. Lord knows I tried. The only thing we can do is be supportive of them, reach out to them. Let them know they're not alone. I have a friend who's dad disowned him for being gay (strict catholic family). His mom still talks to him (in secret) but I've seen how painful it can be. He had support. A lot of us don't. Stopping ranting now...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 am
Personally, topics like this go nowhere. I'm pretty sure you wont find a single individual in this Guild, that will disagree on how wrong it is. So, for the sake of my own argument, I will detest against those who say it is wrong, for the sole purpose of bringing in the "other side" of things.

We all sit around, wondering why we are hated, bashed, etc. We all wonder why we can't have peace among men. Well, here is a newsflash, we are different. Anyone who is different is not accepted in today's society. For example : Van Gough was not accepted, until his art was viewed as far beyond the time of art in that era.

So, does that mean we should still parade around in our bb's, and wave the rainbow around, and scream pride, and unity? No.

There are parents who beat their children, no matter if they are gay, straight, trans, deformed, or otherwise. It has got nothing to do with being the different one. It has got to do with the social upbringing that we as Americans/World thrivers, live. Why do we have to focus on the "Gay" in the title of any news? There are far more children out there whom are suffering, and we choose to focus on our own?

Furthermore, the majority of the gay community in our world, are bashing, bigots, etc, to eachother far more than any of the straight community is to us. So, before we can even begin to think about having unity between the great divide, we need to help ourselves. We need unity and pride within our own homes, within our own society. Let the straight people do what they will. We are a strong and brave people. Those children will one day grow up and learn that what they went through will make them stronger. WE ARE STRONG...

Just a thought..

JessicaRoseDiva

3,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:30 pm
User Image

My mom didn't "punish" me when she forced me out the closet. She just yelled more and raised her blood pressure. I did get punished for being an atheist - she disconnected the internet for a few months, and recently threatened to fix the internet so only her computer gets it. Which is futile, since I'm the "technical wizard" of the house.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:43 pm
I was never "punished" for my sexuality, myself. Hell, I only count 3 times when my parents actually punished me. I'm a gewd boy.
But no, my parents didn't give a damn that I wasn't straight. They just calmly said "Hm? Oh, yeah, we knew."

Deleteasaurus

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces