Submit

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:57 pm
Last night my Asian long tail grass lizard, Legolas, died. It looks like he DROWNED though why he was in the water like that, I don't know. I woke up and saw the terrible site. He's not a big pet, but I still loved him. He was so cool... so LONG. I cried a lot and buried him in the yard.

THen this evening I was checking out my hermit crabs only to find Jaque the Hermit Crab AND Tolei DEAD. It wasn't as much of a shock as Legolas because Jague was my shell baby who was streaking with out a shell awhile ago and has never seemed normal since and Tolei has been molting for 2 months and I have been worried about him.

So this just leaves Archie McPhee, Maroon 5, and Weezer. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:14 pm
Pets dying is an epidemic today! I had to flush one of my favorite female Guppies this morning... She had been battleing dropsy for a month or so, I think...  

Akari_32

Vegeta_Lover239

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:17 pm
Aw, I'm sorry. : ( *huggies*
They're in a better place now.
And they'll always be in our hearts.

Did you name Legolas after the Lord of The Rings guy?
If so, that makes him even more awsome and special <3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:57 pm
I think for those of us who have several pets it's just a downside that you are statistically going to suffer more losses. And a lot of smaller pets are not that hardy. Or can get into stuff more easily. I get so paranoid with my ratties. Especially after what I witnessed with Hope. If Aida so much as moves funny I'm all OMG SHES DYING! crying My goal is for her to die of old age. I know that might sound stupid but I just can't take the guilt of another preventable death.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:31 pm
awe Im sorry Kippy sad  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:03 pm
@Akari_32 I am so sorry. I really like guppies and have had a few of them I mourned deeply when they died. So I am sorry for you.

@Vegeta_Lover239 Yes Legolas is in fact "Legolas of the Woodland Realm" from LOTR! He lived with 2 tree frogs (I don't usually encourage cross species enclosures, but these guys together has been pretty well accepted in the herp community if given an appropriate tank.) named for Fairies since he was an elf. THeir names are Mab and Oberon.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/kipluck/critters/  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:17 pm
im sorry, i get so attatched to my herps and always feel so depressed when they die, same with my crabs when they died  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:37 pm
My mom told me she would like to buy me a new ALTGL for Christmas but was afraid I would be too upset because I am always telling people pets are not presents. She asked if I would rather pick one out myself. I said I would (just because I am not sure she would pick a healthy one.)

I am still happy to have another, but it is hard. It's not really going to *replace* Legolas. He was a character. And SOOOOO Long. Longer than I have ever seen one. He was a full 13 inches. He looked like a snake. I could hold him, and they are very skittish animals. So I am not sure about this new one but I know a guy who raises them that has 2 right now so I am going down there to look for my new lizard.

My mom has been so nice about it all, even though he scared her (too snake-like for her!) but my dad just says "yeah well, they die a lot. They are pretty disposable."

YES, small animals can die unexpectedly and quickly but when they have proper care they live much longer. Dad said "what have you had it a month?" A year. A year and a couple months. Not long, but not a MONTH. And they are not, NOTHING ALIVE IS, DISPOSABLE.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:47 pm
Im sorry for your lost I just hope you are cooping alright with it. I did google ALTGL and they are really cool looking lizards. I never seen one til now. lol. When you get your new friend please put up pictures if you would. And I know how you feel about people saying that animals are disposable. =/ When my lab rat Missy died her old owner was like "well dont buy anymore for another two years. Its not good on your girls." =/ I bough Shion a month later because my girls were sad and got another in October. They are all happy now. But I hate when people said I cant or shouldnt get another animal. Its my choice. *my brother called my rats vermin and consider them disposable, calling them snake food*  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:07 pm
sometimes getting another pet soon after is the best thing, i got rats right after my beardy died, and i got my first cresty right after my gargoyle gecko died, it helped me alot because i had something new to take care of to fill that empty part of the day

as for pets as presents as long as you understand that they are not objects then i dont see an issue with it. i personally will only accept an animal as a gift if i get to go and pick it out and have had time to think about it. i have also given a leopard gecko to my sister as a christmas present a few years ago, but thats because she had done her research and went with me to pick one up, she was planning on getting one anyways and i needed to get her a gift, win win situation  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Miles To Go

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:34 pm
Uurgh, it's always hard to replace a pet after it dies.

I got a new ADFrog and Betta after mine died, and they just didn't bring me the same excitement, either cause I missed the old ones too much, or their personalities were so different.

I've kind of decided that I wont buy replacements again.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:01 pm
I am so sorry for the losses. I can never go for long after one of mine dies, its not replacing the one that has passed, but its helping me fill the emptiness were they were. I was told to wait after my cat died and I adopted my girl the next day. I still miss him greatly, but she has helped me be less sad, a little.  

iggies

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:57 pm
Well, I moving this to Rainbow Bridge and focusing on my new little guy, though I still miss Legolas a lot. Tinsel can't really replace him, but he does make his tank look happier.  
Rainbow Bridge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games