Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
So how is everyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

:O
  O:
View Results

ireallylovesydney

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:47 pm
I haven't been on Gaia in ageees, and I decided to go on today to quit some guilds I'm inactive in and clean up other odds and ends. Y'all probably don't remember me but to those who do, awesome.

Nice to see some people still around that I recognise and...another change of guild Captain?

I also graduated from high school about a month ago. Kinda odd thinking I started a thread over a year or so ago about starting my senior year. And now here I am!

So that means I've been on break for about a month now, a month which I've used playing vidya games and neglecting future decisions XD

My ATAR (for my fellow NSWers out there) comes out in 4 or 5 days so from then I decide on what to do in the future.

tl; dr Discuss:
-Any advice for the aspiring University student
-Any plans for the holiday season?
-How've you been?
-I've missed you guise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:38 pm
Advice:

-- DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. It's nearly inevitable for all college students to procrastinate homework, projects, and studying. Don't let it happen!

-- Get involved on campus. If you're going to school just to get a degree, then you'll be miserable [and less desirable to future employers]. It's a great way to gain friends, network with professionals, create support systems, plus have fun while you go to school.

-- Talk with your professors. Not many students even come into contact with their professors. Who knows. You might need a quick letter of recommendation for a sudden internship offer.

There's a bajillion other pieces of advice I could give~  

lgtenos

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:27 am
I never went to Uni, so i can't really help you there >_>;

Uh, what's new. Well, i went to Canada for 5 weeks in July. Had an amazing time over there. Oh and i got married almost 2 months ago. We plan on buying a house together next year.

Yeah, Lici is moving to Sydney actually and wont have net. There is a thread floating around somewhere. That's why Pain is our new awesome Captain.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:46 am
lgtenos
Advice:

-- DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. It's nearly inevitable for all college students to procrastinate homework, projects, and studying. Don't let it happen!

-- Get involved on campus. If you're going to school just to get a degree, then you'll be miserable [and less desirable to future employers]. It's a great way to gain friends, network with professionals, create support systems, plus have fun while you go to school.

-- Talk with your professors. Not many students even come into contact with their professors. Who knows. You might need a quick letter of recommendation for a sudden internship offer.

There's a bajillion other pieces of advice I could give~

Thanks! Not only am I a huge procrastinator, I am also an introvert. Gotta work hard!

coldheartedangel
I never went to Uni, so i can't really help you there >_>;

Uh, what's new. Well, i went to Canada for 5 weeks in July. Had an amazing time over there. Oh and i got married almost 2 months ago. We plan on buying a house together next year.

Yeah, Lici is moving to Sydney actually and wont have net. There is a thread floating around somewhere. That's why Pain is our new awesome Captain.

Oh wow congratulations, hope the very best for you two!
I actually wanted to go somewhere, anywhere argggh, during my break but no one wanted to come with ;__;

And that clears up things, thanks for the heads up!  

ireallylovesydney

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:06 am
Hello. o: Welcome back for a bit, at least.

xDD
My advice is don't procrastinate too long. I'm being realistic for myself, at least, when I say I know I can't magically stop procrastinating so much. xD So, I figure out how long I will need to finish something, I force myself to stop procrastinating in time, at least. xD Obviously, if you can, don't procrastinate just because it makes things easier.
I think though this all depends on how you do things. I know some people who do their best stuff if they wait last minute and throw s**t together. They will make an A with something they wrote the night before but make a C with something they spent a week on. I kind of wish I was like that. DX

I'd check your professors online and talk to people who had them. xD Ratemyprofessor can be a good website if you take the reviews for what they are worth. Expect them to be exaggerated a little and the occasional bad review from someone that got a bad grade because they didn't do the right thing, etc. Getting the right professor makes classes a lot better. More interesting. More likely that you will sort of enjoy them, at least.

What you should do should depend on what you want the end result to be. Want to network and build a resume? Focus more on doing things that will look good on a resume: clubs (which are REALLY easy to get into the officer positions usually), student government, internships, random campus organizations, sororities. If you want the experience, maybe a little bit of the above but make more time for friends, live on campus, go to the events, talk to people, blahblahblah. I don't know. I found the transition to college pretty easy. x3 You just have to be ready to do your work before you have fun (or have fun but leave enough time for work) and use your meal plan if you have to have one.

And yeah. Lici is going to be super busy with no internet, and Szen has been busy with work and life.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:15 am
PainfullyVivid
Hello. o: Welcome back for a bit, at least.

xDD
My advice is don't procrastinate too long. I'm being realistic for myself, at least, when I say I know I can't magically stop procrastinating so much. xD So, I figure out how long I will need to finish something, I force myself to stop procrastinating in time, at least. xD Obviously, if you can, don't procrastinate just because it makes things easier.
I think though this all depends on how you do things. I know some people who do their best stuff if they wait last minute and throw s**t together. They will make an A with something they wrote the night before but make a C with something they spent a week on. I kind of wish I was like that. DX

I'd check your professors online and talk to people who had them. xD Ratemyprofessor can be a good website if you take the reviews for what they are worth. Expect them to be exaggerated a little and the occasional bad review from someone that got a bad grade because they didn't do the right thing, etc. Getting the right professor makes classes a lot better. More interesting. More likely that you will sort of enjoy them, at least.

What you should do should depend on what you want the end result to be. Want to network and build a resume? Focus more on doing things that will look good on a resume: clubs (which are REALLY easy to get into the officer positions usually), student government, internships, random campus organizations, sororities. If you want the experience, maybe a little bit of the above but make more time for friends, live on campus, go to the events, talk to people, blahblahblah. I don't know. I found the transition to college pretty easy. x3 You just have to be ready to do your work before you have fun (or have fun but leave enough time for work) and use your meal plan if you have to have one.

And yeah. Lici is going to be super busy with no internet, and Szen has been busy with work and life.

Yeah I find I work best under a time limit. If I know I have so much time left, I end up using it all for all the wrong reasons.

I heard there was this one method that works really well, seems like common sense though, the 30/30 method. Where you focus on work and nothing but work for 30 minutes, then you take a break for the next 30 and so on.

And hopefully I get my act together and decide what that end result is exactly sweatdrop

Thanks!  

ireallylovesydney

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 am
So, maybe just give yourself a time limit to finish something, even if it isn't the due date. That way, you are trying to get it finished by something and don't have time to goof off, etc.

For me, that method would so not work. xDD; Once I'm working (unless it's a story that I just can't seem to write), I need to keep doing it since I'm into it. If I keep goofing off and then going back, it's harder for me to get into that working mode and then I just goof off even more. For me, it's more a matter of starting and not getting distracted than motivation to keep going. xD You'll learn what you do pretty quickly and can probably figure out a way to counteract everything.

You have time when you first get there. o: Though if you want to be on Student Government, you probably won't have as much time. I know if you really want a position at my school, you should probably start by being on the Freshman Committee because it's automatic spots next year, I think. It's harder to get elected later if not as many people know you.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 am
Study during the day, hang out and play at night. Best advice I can give you for college. Also, if you're the type that never needed to study in high school, try the pomodoro technique. They have apps on the iPhone and iPad where you can set a timer. Study for 25 mins, then take a 5 minute break, and get back to studying. Works wonders.

Do study groups and go to mixers as well. Try new things. Have a blast but don't let the fun times hamper your studies.  

Aaditya

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:50 pm
Advice, you know how right now you feel like you know stuff? Like you have helpful knowledge? Well college/university teaches you, that you don't know s**t! So enjoy the feeling that you are smart while it last, because you will wake up in university to find your an idiot.

I joke, this is just the feeling that me and all my friends have gotten since the start of our post-secondary education.

I will say this though, while it's important to do your work on time and what not, it's also important to stay happy, i had a big problem with feeling depressed because i had NO distractions from my classes, so make some friends and have some activities that have nothing to do with your schooling, trust me, it's important to your sanity.  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games