Reply Movies TV Shows Books Comics
Akira Kurosawa

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Volvy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:15 pm
I know NEW Japanese stuff is popular, but is anybody else here a fan of great old Japanese cinema? Personally, Kurosawa is in the running for my favorite director of all time.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:38 pm
I love Kurosawa's movies but only own two at the moment. I've mostly only seen his samurai/period stuff, but I keep meaning to check out his more contemporary works like High and Low and Stray Dog.  

lostphrack

Codebreaking Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 pm
He's the dude that made "The Seven Samurai" right? I haven't seen more than a few clips of his movies but my dad absolutely loves them. He even watched a marathon TCM held a few months back.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:49 pm
Sweet! Seeing this thread sit silently for a bit I thought nobody here knew his stuff at all, and that made me sad.  

Volvy

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:40 pm
Most of his movies are better than the Japanese cinema today. I've seen yojimbo, ran, seven samurai, dreams, and yoshimbo. He liked to use Shakespeare as a base and because of that, his movies have a better story structure. It's pretty amazing cause you see that he's the inspiration for a lot of movies.

The blazing brass music is a staple in samurai films... The first Star Wars' cantina scene is almost the exact same trick used in Yojimbo where the samurai cuts off an arm. A few western's were direct American adaptations of his movies.

The one I have yet to see is Throne of Blood, it's based off Macbeth.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:28 am
pirulaso
Most of his movies are better than the Japanese cinema today. I've seen yojimbo, ran, seven samurai, dreams, and yoshimbo. He liked to use Shakespeare as a base and because of that, his movies have a better story structure. It's pretty amazing cause you see that he's the inspiration for a lot of movies.

The blazing brass music is a staple in samurai films... The first Star Wars' cantina scene is almost the exact same trick used in Yojimbo where the samurai cuts off an arm. A few western's were direct American adaptations of his movies.

Yeah, Throne of Blood was really good (as you'd expect). Not on the same level as Ran, Seven Samurai, and Rashomon but still very good.  

Volvy

thaskarin

Familiar Phantom

6,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • PvP 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 pm
*sniff* Finally some other Gaians who know Kurosawa. Admittedly though I've only seen a few of his movies (Seven Samurai Sanjuro, Yojimbo, and Throne of Blood.) Still though, he does much better than most directors today but not just in Japan.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:12 am
Volvy
pirulaso

Yeah, Throne of Blood was really good (as you'd expect). Not on the same level as Ran, Seven Samurai, and Rashomon but still very good.
Did you see the anime Seven Samurai?

I was a little disappointed in it. I mean when I heard they were bringing in giant robots and stuff into it, I immediatly had low expectations. It was better than I thought it would, but still kind of convuloted and not that great.  

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces