Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Sleep Paralysis

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Problem
  Officer?
View Results

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:53 pm
So, I've been stressed lately. When I go back to school, I find out whether or not I did well enough on my sophomore exam to stay in school.

I've been losing a s**t-ton of sleep over it. I only sleep about three hours a night. Maybe. And when I do, it's really, really restless, inconsistent sleep.

So last night, or well, this morning, technically, I woke up at around five. I rolled over to look at my clock.

Or at least I tried to; I couldn't move. Not one bit. I tried to move my arms. Couldn't. Tried to move my legs. Couldn't. Tried to sit up, roll over, move my fingers, blink. Couldn't do anything. I was completely paralyzed. I panicked, and tried to yell for my parents, but I couldn't even make a sound. This went on for about five minutes. Also, I started hallucinating. I thought that I was being pinned down by some kind of demon, and then pulled by my leg, like in Paranormal Activity 2, and that it had me by the foot, and I was dragged out of my bed, onto the floor. I thought I was on the floor, being pulled by something invisible, out of my room. When I started to come out of the sleep paralysis, I was still in my bed, unable to move.

Eventually, I could speak, and I got the feeling back in my legs, and then upper body, and I sat up, and if I must say, I was freaked the ******** out. xD

I'd heard of sleep paralysis before, but thought it only happened to people with narcolepsy, or other brain problems, and never thought it would happen to me. Apparently, though, many or most will experience it at least once or twice in his/her lifetime. They say it's nothing of which to be afraid, but, when you wake up, and can't move, as hard as you try, hoo boy.

So Suites, any of you ever had sleep paralysis, or know anyone who's had it? Once? Twice? Frequently?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:21 am
I've had it once before, it was my first night sleeping in the house all alone, back when i was like 14/15.

It was so SCARY! I 'woke up' and i couldn't move my body at all, and because i was still partly asleep i couldn't figure out why. As i laid there i started to panic, because i was hearing voice, it sounded like someone was trying to break into the house. I was so scared and couldn't do anything. In the end i had to ignore the voices which was so hard. I had to stare at my arm (the only part of my body i could see) and kept thinking "move, move, move" i think after like 10 minutes my arm moved up, and then the voices where gone and i was fully awake...i didn't go back to sleep.  

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:30 pm
I used to have sleep paralysis all the time between the ages of 9 and 14 cause of the Ritalin dosage I was on. That stuff messes with your mind so bad even if your doctor has perscribed it for you.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:04 pm
I had it very often during my senior year of high school and up until I left school. That kind of stress just ******** you up, I think. What's so frustrating about it is that it's scary, and you really can't do much about it, just wait it out. The good news is that once you're out of the stressful time in your life, the paralysis goes away, too.  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:02 pm
I probably wouldn't notice if it happened to me because I never want to get out of bed.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:22 pm
scrub
I probably wouldn't notice if it happened to me because I never want to get out of bed.

+1 lol (from the person who spent most of his week off in bed)

I haven't experienced that before, but the time when I had serious insomnia I did experience episodes of dreaming while I was awake. It wasn't lucid dreaming, as it would happen when I was sitting somewhere, awake. Like my brain was trying to make up for the lack of REM sleep. Sleep deprivation is not cool. I hope your stress is relieved soon. <3  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Light up the Night

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:40 pm
Crazy stuff. That hasn't happened to me.
This lady was doing a lecture about her Multiple Personality Disorder and said one of her personalities did that to her once. O.O  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 pm
Szen
scrub

+1 lol (from the person who spent most of his week off in bed)

I haven't experienced that before, but the time when I had serious insomnia I did experience episodes of dreaming while I was awake. It wasn't lucid dreaming, as it would happen when I was sitting somewhere, awake. Like my brain was trying to make up for the lack of REM sleep. Sleep deprivation is not cool. I hope your stress is relieved soon. <3

Actually, that's one of the ways that I know I'm falling asleep lately. When I'm awake, and can't sleep, I start dreaming anyway. Like a few nights ago, I was lying there, trying to sleep, and my roommates were arguing about touching each others' stuff, and one bumped into me; I live in North Carolina, and my roommates live in California. xD

@Scrub- Oh, you'd notice; you get the feeling of being pinned down, like something heavy is sitting on you, breathing is laboured, your eyelids feel like lead, and even though you can't move, you've a sensation of vibrating, like you've electricity moving through your body.

@Light- Well, let's hope, I've no alternate personalities. I'm already going crazy enough without them. xD

@Honey, Kosai, Lychee- I'm glad it's not just me! Did you guys get the feeling of something "evil" being in the room? I'm an Atheist, and even I thought that there was some demon pinning me down, and trying to pull me.

Nexus Carbuncle

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:48 am
Well the people that i thought where breaking in, didn't make me feel warm/fuzzy/happy, i was scared out of my mind and i thought those male voices where real people, and they felt bad in a way.  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games