Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Help and Advice
Advice please...(lengthy)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mitus310

5,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:02 pm
I’m a lesbian from a small town in Pennsylvania and need some advice. In about 12days I go back to my regular school (am currently in a Vo-Tech school) and I’m nervous.

Last school year was my first year as an open lesbian student as well as my then girlfriend. We put up with a lot of crap from homophobes, anti-gay students, a$$holes, whatever you wish to call them. After we broke up, the name-calling and harassment slowed down but at the beginning of this school year it escaladed. I am only at the regular school in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon but one day after school I was almost pelted with a thrown water bottle in the back of the head. It barely missed me and just hit the dirt by my feet. I took the bottle and my friend who was with me and saw it to the vice-principal (the principal has 'better things to deal with'). We pleaded our case and the only thing done was a stern talking to the boy who threw it and now I’m allowed to sit in the office in the morning until I have to catch my bus to the Vo-Tech.

So, my rant out of the way, my point is I’m scared that the kids that harass me and tried to hurt me will try and do it again and maybe try worse things. I have supportive friends but they can’t always be around me to help if something goes wrong and I can's spend the rest of the school year in the office affraid of what may happen. I know many students have problems like this or worse, I’m just so scared to go where I don’t feel safe anymore. I was wondering if anyone that has experience in this subject has any advice to give. Any advice I receive will be greatly appreciated and it will help me to pass on good advice to the other LGBT students in my school that are just too afraid to 'come out of the closet'.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:31 pm
Um.. I'm of no use to this subject because I honestly have not come out.
But for advice I'd say that don't let what they say get to you.
If they don't like who you are then thay should just leave you alone.

As to the physical stuff, if I was in thsi situation I wouldn't do anything. The only thing you can do is stand up for yourself, or just don't let them get your goat.

Sorry if it's no help, I'm not quite sure how to deal with this :c

iMischievous

Last_Dying-Breath

Desirable Lover

4,400 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:49 am
im out used to deal with the same s**t but then a guy walked up to me and called me a fagget so this "fagget" literally got suspended because i beat his a** bad and now no one messes with me and the guy who called me that is literally my best friend with benefits now so i guess i turned him btu other than that dont let these people get to you just ignore it and stand up for yourself sometimez violence is the answer when ur school does not help
(or atleast that how i feel)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:38 am
when i "came out", i put up wiht that all the time. in fact being harrerassed was the main reason i stopped playing football. well ive got pretty close to getting into fights about the subject. But i manage to cool down. i put up with crap all the time from my brother who kinda knows im bi but i keep denying it. i still havent told anybody except for two of my friends that im transegender. so i only imanigne its going to be bad. but my true friends wont care so thats waht is important. if someone does do anything physical, jsut give me their address and ill take care of it lol, cuz no one should have to put up with that  

hawkmaster91

the little mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 pm
            Coming out certainly isn't easy. /: It's even worse with a school that just can't seem to accept you. I'm sorry to hear about the things you're going through. I'm not to sure if this advice will be any help to you or not though. Personally, when I 'came out' so to say, there were always people who sneered and made comments. Anyway, you just have to try to be strong. Know that these people aren't anyone who should define your life - they're just closed minded.

The violence, however, is not tolerable. /: You already brought it up with your principal though, correct? If it becomes worse I would move onto higher authorities. Physical violence is assault. x:

Once again though, I would just try to stay strong towards the rude comments. While there are people who won't be too happy with your orientation, there are others who will accept you. Focus on them. c: Become better then those idiots who want to single you out.

.. probably not very good advice, but.. it's how I got through school.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:41 pm
I've been avoiding this because I thought it would be longer, though now I'm glad I saw this

I think my stance fairly well here (though you could think of this as the cowards way out) I really didn't tell anyone, I kinda just blended in. I never denied it mind you, but if someone asked I would tell, other wise they shouldn't expect some huge announcement. I treated it like it was no big dea. Honestly the only people who really need to know are your friends.  

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

kikioblack
Vice Captain

Dapper Shapeshifter

25,225 Points
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:10 am
As much as it would be nice to have a solution, there really isn't one. I ended up in a small town homaphobic school and was harrased untill the day i graduated. All you really can do is keep your head up and don't let it get to you and if you get injured then you can sue the school for not doing anything about itt when they know about it. not saying that's the way to go but kind of a last resort. People pick on each other for a lot of reasons and if you laugh and not let it bother you people get bord and move on or try harder.

If people keep picking on you make sure you tell someone, presistence is key and if you keep doing it then something might happen. Otherwise just look forward to leaving as a sign of hope. In college I've found you don't get picked on as much or at all and people are more acepting.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:35 am
last year at my skool there were a few lesbians and 1 gay i the senior class. all of them were friends with the people who are 'mess with any of my friends i'll kill you'. i can't really give advise on this since i get picked on for different reasons *thankfully its died down*. just ask a teacher if u can hangout in there room if things get bad and stay close to your friends. then it comes to physical stuff, report it i guess. and if it gets really bad, leave skool. it may be letting the homophobes 'win' but at lest u'r save and thats what matters.
verbal comments just remember the ones sayings are a bunch of immature brats. try to ignore them.  

loveless_in_hell

7,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250

mitus310

5,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 pm
I wanna thank all those who replied for your advice and support. It helped make my transaction easier and I even told one of the bullies off and he didnt mess with me the rest of the day! Again I thank all who replied! heart  
Help and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games