Discuss: Music that Degrades Women

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rococonut

Precious Sweetheart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:55 pm
We're doing speeches at school and I was touched by one speech about not supporting artists who makes lyrics that degrades women. It was impressive especially since it was a guy who was doing the speech. It was also humorous because, well, he's basically a funny dude ^^ and one girl actually hugged him after in like a friendly i'm proud of you way lol

Anyway, he said that his brothers told stories about how his brother said the women in the clubs he goes to is the first ones to sing those kinds of songs.
Also, his brother called his girlfriend a hoe and she didn't react negatively to it like it was her name which bothered him and me.
Now that I think about it, certain types of music really is affecting women's image. It mostly hear it in Hip Hop but i know there are other songs in other genres that have those lyrics as well

Oh by degrading I mean like just talking about their looks and their butts and boobs and all of that. He said (in my possibly inaccurate memory) that he usually doesn't hear songs about how smart a woman is. It's mostly about those areas and how they should move to arouse the male viewers.

Well his arguement was to stop supporting artists who degrade women in their songs.

I don't know if people will, I will really. I've been knowing about that for awhile but he just justified my thoughts.

So what do you guys think? Are you going to keep supporting those artists or change your musical interests?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:17 pm
What a lovely speech he gave.

I usually don't listen to that music myself, but no matter what, I know all music genres have a band that gives women a negative image. It's just the strongest in hip hop and rap which is why I tend to avoid it.

You'll hear women being praised for being smart or beautiful a lot in country music, but called homewreckers instead of being called a whore.

I am for empowering women and if I hear one song in which someone is called a hoe or any other derogatory word/slang, I turn the radio off or switch the station. Which is why I usually bring CDs along with me to go with if I'm in the car or the Mp3 for the public outings.

Why some people want to be called a hoe though is beyond me.  

Nanaremilamina

Timid Explorer

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:14 pm
User Image

I cant believe that a guy gave a speech like that. =o

I hear that kind of music all of the frackin time when I'm driving around with my boyfriend.
I just ignore the sexist parts. It does bug me but really there isn't any sense in avoiding it. I mean you can only shelter yourself for so long.

In the rap songs i cant even understand them, I just like the beats and stuff.
XD

I mostly listen to techno so... I don't have this problem i guess... Techno music lacks in lyrics.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:03 pm
It all depends on circumstance. Take Eminem for example. A lot of his songs including women usually portray them as stupid, bitchy, sluts. But then again these songs are usually targeting the women in his life who hurt him (his ex, his mom, ect...) and he obviously cherishes his daughter.

If the artist makes his songs about sluts, portraying women as nothing more than sex objects, for the purpose of making money off the song, then no, I will not support the artist. If the artist is simply basing his songs around his life, then I'll just not listen to the ones that offend me.  

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

icdogjt nlkalsfmk

7,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:11 am
Meh. I don't know, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm actually offended by much of that music, although I do find it distasteful and wouldn't listen to it myself.

I really think women in the music industry aren't doing a lot to help out though, considering the number of young women on the charts who use sex to sell their stuff. I mean, if you need pictures like this or this to sell your albums, maybe you should be putting a little more effort in to the actual music?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 am

█████████ M O N O C H R O M E M O N S T E R ██████████

Honestly, I am going to keep supporting those artists because the music I listen to is me. Changing my musical interest wouldn't be easy, and I'd said it's impossible. Yes, that music is degrading, and of course I don't like it, but it's just real life. To be honest, I don't see very men who aren't artsits complimenting girls on their smarts very often - it's rare.

The music is only expressing what a guy thinks. It's just like the songs girls write, talking about how they broke up, and how they hate men. It just can't be helped. Music is about expressing yourself. Even if we stopped these artisits from degrading women, do you honestly think men would stop being sexist? No, they wouldn't stop. It's just the way they think. Nothing can change that. It's their own opinion.

That's my thoughts on the situation.

Overall: No, I'm not going to change the music I listen to because of it.

gas powered stick

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff