Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Help and Advice
My First LGBT Support Meeting EVER!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Billy Breakin Forks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:33 pm
So a while ago I discovered this LGBT group in my town and they have monthly support meetings. Ever since I found this out I've been very curious about the meetings and other events the group does, but I've never had anyone who would go with me if I asked them to. Or at least I've never had anyone I wasn't too embarrassed to ask to go with me.

Then out of the blue comes this girl who I wasn't really very close with, we were more acquaintances than friends, and she comes out to me as a lesbian. Obviously I came out to her as well, and it was, weirdly enough, the beginning of us becoming much closer xD Because we understood each other better than our other friends? I don't know.

Now she's the only one I would ever ask to go to one of these things with me, and I have. We're both interested in going, the only thing is our parents are out of the question.

I'm out to my mom but she disapproves and I'm not willing to talk to her about these things unless I'm telling her about someone I'm dating, just so she knows.

She isn't out to either of her parents and thinks coming out to them would be messy.

And I KNOW that if I go without telling my mom what I'm doing I'm going to feel REALLY bad about it afterwards =S But I'm just really curious and I'd like to go. And I don't think it's so terrible of me to want to meet other lesbians/gays/bi's/trans'.

Oh, by the way this is purely about my conscience and the conscience of my friend, I'm 18 so I don't necessarily NEED my parents permission to go. She's 17 but meh, close enough =P

Discuss:

My blurb

Your own experiences of this sort xD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:15 pm
If you two are really determined to go, you can find a way. Public transit, carpooling with someone who can take you, or even self-transit if necessary. My town is too small to really have such a group, even if most of the people here are at least tolerant of the LGB community, so I don't have much of a say about similar experiences.

As for consciences, it really is a personal decision. Sooner or later both of your parents will have to come to terms with your sexuality in some way, so I would say that it's better to let your mother know at least the first time just so that she knows you're not going to change about this. As for your friend, it's a bit riskier for her since she hasn't come out yet, but perhaps she can talk to her folks about how they feel about the LGB community before coming out. It's a hard talk, but it's easier than admitting it up-front since she can gauge their reactions and plan accordingly.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Help and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers