Submit

hibi-tea

Aged Lunatic

15,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:38 am
... Theoretically, couldn't you just edit the existing elder lines to incorporate the other species?

It'd be extensive editing, no doubt, but that pretty much solves the problem. Unless people are very gung-ho on the idea of having individually unique line art to each and every Soq species.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:40 pm
That or, perhaps, the lines that already exist for seathi, mer, and usdia could have edits to make them more 'elder-esque'.

An example of this could be more robust edits to the male templates and a more graceful, slimming to the female lines.

I for one, also wouldn't raise a stink if there weren't 100% new lines or heck, even edits.

I just want to see the non-regular Soquili have the same RP perks, or potential for them, as do the regular lines.

As stated previously something as simple as a stamp, tattoo, hair edit, or even just having 'ELDER' written on the cert would be fantastic.  

Lilly_Foxx

Sweenys_Revenge
Crew

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:49 pm
How they are edited wouldn't be a problem, it's the actual acquiring of a suitable artist to do those edits.
xD  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:46 am
I honestly don't find the elder template so amazing that it's the reason I would try to get an elder. I don't even care about all the perks. But I do care about the minis and mers getting good rp - and I think that not having a chance at elder keeps people from being as interested in rping with them.

Sure, it'd be nice to maybe get new hair, or a stamp, or whatever. But more - it'd be nice to see a flood of people interested in their minis/mers again. The main reason I plan to eventually work one of my soq up to elder is that I see it as a badge of RP competence. I, personally, would seek out rp from a person with an elder in their teepee [even if it wasn't the soq I was wanting to rp with] because I know they have to be literate and they arn't as likely to drop an rp for months at a time [barring rl issues].

I wish we'd get away from the idea that the edits make the Soq. Be it an elder or a contest prize or a fs or a custom. Yes, edits are nice. But there are many beautiful Soq that have no edits at all. And - if people were more willing to accept the non-edited or lightly edited Soq, the colorist would have more time to get more Soq produced.

Just look at the CYO plushies as an example. There is some beautiful work coming from the CC [and raffled] plushie soq - and there's been a lot of them produced. Just the simple fact that they don't have to worry about complex edits has increased production quite a bit. Edits can take hours - if not days to complete.

If we want to see something done for the minis/mers in the way of Elder-hood, we need to forget this notion of new lines or even heavily edited lines. Part of what the minis are for is to have a less/non-edited set of lines. I don't want to put more work on the colorists/staff.  

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 am
IMHO - the edits for Elders aren't about the fact that edits are "better than" unedited - Stormwild was always my favorite Soquili even before her Elderhood - BUT generally speaking when you've RP'd a Soquili for as long as you need to have them become an Elder, usually SOMETHING has happened in their life that might have altered their appearance. For example, Stormwild had scars, Malis's braids grew longer, etc etc.

It takes a minimum of 10months to get Elderhood, but for most people it takes much longer than that. Being rewarded with a new template or a new recolor is letting step back, and say, okay now that I've chronicled this Soquili's journey, how different would they look? Adding a bit of customization as a reward for your hard work isn't asking too much. And, of course, assuming we're taking about recolors here as opposed to whole new lines (which I don't see happening at least for a very long time), completely optional.

As for work on the colorists - they're already taking on Elders as part of their normal responsibilities. I don't think minis/mers would be any additional work, because they wouldn't get any special privileges. There would be the same amount of Elders made every year - just maybe minis/mers would have a crack at competing among them. heart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:51 pm
The main Soquili lineart is indeed all done by Leelakin, who only accepts RL$ commissions at this point - and even at that, she doesn't take breedables anymore:

Leelakin Commissions
PLEASE NOTE: I'm not doing breedable lineart for competitive mini shop sites like gaia online (or pony island, etc) anymore due to the drama that is easily inflicted there.

Thus getting more lines from her is not an option. Having done the Trial Lines for Soq, I can say from personal experience that mimicking Leelakin's style, while not impossible, is fairly difficult.

Editing lines by combining existing lineart might be practical for the Mers, since they have the same proportions as the regular lines. It's not likely to work for the Seathi or Usdias.

Felmino

Feedback Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces