Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I had a visit from my old friend, Mary

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 pm
So I've moved back home temporarily a couple of weeks ago, and have been catching up with some old friends.
This week I got a visit from another old friend... The Mary River (:

You guys probably haven't heard, but over here in Australia we're officially in a la nina and are getting flooded like you wouldn't believe. Half of my state is under water at the moment, and my state is just over 700,000 square miles (1,800,000 square km). It's pretty crazy right now.

So I've come home just in time for an awesome flood! Flooding here is so much fun, because it's a huge valley so it fills up really high, and people here have been smart enough to build high enough so it's out of flood zones, for the most part.
We were considered to be moderately flooded yesterday, at about 14 metres rise. We've just gone up to 18 metres rise and are now majorly flooded!

Here is the trend:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So we've been zig-zagging our way around the high roads to see the results of all this rain. It's been very exciting xD

The road is 8 metres under this water:

Needless to say, it's impossible to get across to the other side, all bridges across the river are well and truly flooded. The view from this side isn't bad, though (:
Also our national highway is completely cut in a dozen places, all the way up our state. We are completely cut off from the rest of the world right now xD  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 pm
OHAI, rain. O.o

Here, it's the snow, we have to worry about.

I'm actually worried about how I'm going to get back to school, since we're about to get hit by a blizzard in six hours, and the airports are all going to close. xD

Nexus Carbuncle

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:07 pm
Well Lici look at the bright side! You can swim to work and save money by not having to buy gas at outragous prices! rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 am
Flash flooded in Toowoomba today. Up here on the top of the mountain. which just sounds strange XD

Was all we could stand around and talk about at work (we were very productive). I have a bad feeling tomorrow they'll be more reports of people having been washed away and drowned sad  

o0Lainy0o

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:43 am
Lainy Wolf
Flash flooded in Toowoomba today. Up here on the top of the mountain. which just sounds strange XD

Was all we could stand around and talk about at work (we were very productive). I have a bad feeling tomorrow they'll be more reports of people having been washed away and drowned sad

I just saw clips on youtube of a whole bunch of cars that were parked in a car park that ended up all piled on top of each other. That looked insane.

Kosai: I'd rather take my boat! That water is freeeeezing.

Nexus: Snow sounds like hell to me D:  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:25 pm
The river topped 19m rise last night. It is slowing starting to go down now that the rain has eased.

The results of 19m of water:

You can just see the roof of a building sticking out of the water here:

The national highway is under there somewhere.

de.Lici.ous
Crew

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces