Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Instructor Rant! Instructor Rant!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

His son is in the 4th grade.
  and he does 17 math problems every night for homework.
View Results

Violette PureHeart

Liberal Smoker

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:14 pm
GAH
My Math 103 teacher, Mr. Henry.
Nice man. He definitely means well...but....

This was my second quarter with him as my instructor, by request, because, to me, his class was too easy and comfortable to pass up. Haha.
But like. I don't normally ask too many questions in class....I was always having to ask him questions. And he would try to answer them...but something was lost.

For example, about a month ago we were sitting in class and he tells us we're going to be going over Factoring.
I died inside. Cassie headdesks....and I am pretty sure my brother imploded.( fresh out of high school and somehow bombed his compass test)

All of a sudden Cassie sits up straight and asks "Mr. Henry, why do we need to learn this stuff?"

And he goes on a five minute rant about how his son, who is in the 4th grade, and he is doing SEVENTEEN work problems of the same math we are doing, every night. Oh and did he mention that his son was in the 4th grade? Oh yeah. about 12 times.

Me: gonk
Cassie: stressed
Jimmi: burning_eyes

This causes all of us to have all of the same reactions from earlier. Except all at once and silent.(.... gonk ..... stressed .... scream .... burning_eyes )

I think Our entire class died inside.

He did it all the time in class. If a question was asked- he avoided it.
If someone asked him to explain something- he went about it in a totally a**-backwards way, confusing EVERYONE.

Cassie, Jim and I had to save him a few times by offering other methods to solving the problems because Mr. Henry refused to do it any other way than his own.

Just. UGH. That's why we left early so much. Or ditched. Or showed up late.
And we still got A's. I'm just glad he doesn't teach any of the Business Math Classes. xD

Oh. And we were asked to do an assessment on him, because so many of his students were signing into the Learning Resource Center for math tutoring. <.<; Me and Cassie were the last ones in the room typing out all we had to say on Mr. Henry.

We don't think he's a bad man....I just think he should go back to his other job, whatever that was. He doesn't belong in teaching. :/

TLDR: Math 103 instructor has a son in the 4th grade and apparently every question we ask refers back to said son in the 4th grade who does 17 problems every night for math homework. Did I mention he is in the 4th grade? Because apparently that is very important. He is also a vampire.

IN THE END
, I finished my second quarter of school with
Math 103- A
Comp App- C
Legal 105- C
and I failed English 10. Oopsie. <.<;  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 pm
Gee, he still adheres to the old, "Teach people by shaming them" method, eh? I don't know if having to endure that is an easy A or not, man. o.o;  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Violette PureHeart

Liberal Smoker

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:48 pm
Lychee Fruit
Gee, he still adheres to the old, "Teach people by shaming them" method, eh? I don't know if having to endure that is an easy A or not, man. o.o;

I didn't talk to his much otherwise. I ignored him, mostly.

Though. He laughed at me in a really mean way once during my first quarter. But I got over it. :/

Apparently I just do math funny. heh.

All in all, it was an easy class to sit through. But I guess I'm just really good at ignoring people.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:46 am
We did "averages and ratio" in my degree level maths course last year... I hate Math enough as it is without having to cover high school material again. >_>  

scrub
Crew

kim ocean
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:33 am
Hmm, I wonder if you could turn that around on him and ask if his 4th grade son can come in and teach it?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:34 pm
kim ocean
Hmm, I wonder if you could turn that around on him and ask if his 4th grade son can come in and teach it?
Hahahaha I don't have him anymore, thankfully.  

Violette PureHeart

Liberal Smoker

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 pm
Back when I was in eleventh grade, my chemistry teacher had a habit of teaching us a concept through one example, explaining it, erasing it, and then telling us that we were in trouble if we couldn't do it as fast as she had on the board. When half the class would fail the test, she would rant about how much smarter and better at chemistry she was, as compared to us...And she's been teaching for thirty years.

I wanted to die. xD

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff