Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:30 am
So , today I officially turn 17, and just to spoil myself, I'm thinking of buying a few books as a birthday present to self though technically I still think I already spent too much on myself by buying a ps3 a month ago ahahaha

anyhow, if it helps:
• I dislike most kinds of romances. The only exception is tragedy or angst.
• I actually prefer classics.
• Anything that reminds me of Alice in Wonderland , or Phantom of the oprea is nice.
• Bonus plus if it's set in a victorian era.
• I do like something harry potter-eqsue.

on another note, I was thinking of getting the full set of hunger gamers, percy jackson, or the city of series. I do used own the latter two, But I never got the chance to read it as I gave them both to my mom (the former of the two a 'cheer up' gift, and the other being a birthday gift). so is it worth it?

thanks guys c:  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:33 am
I personally loved the Percy Jackson series. I've heard that the Hunger Games series is really good, but I've never read it.  

Iceestar

6,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

anticupid16

Desirable Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:34 am
♭♮♯
Sleeping wonder lies to me, and the lies are sweet.

PJO and Hunger Games are so worth it! I'm reading the next part of the PJO series called the Lost Heroes right now, as well as the third Hunger Games book!

Also, it's not fantasy but it's sorta Victorian: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It's typically put into the same category as Phantom.

If you like Phantom and Dorian, you might also like The Hunchback of Note Dame by Victor Hugo.

♩♪♫♬
Music is sung with simple words, and simple words can save the world.

♯♮♭

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:36 am
Iceestar
I personally loved the Percy Jackson series. I've heard that the Hunger Games series is really good, but I've never read it.

I've watched the first percy jackson movie, it was amazing. I would have read it as well if not for my last minute decision to give the books I just bought to my mom instead. She and a friend of mine said the books were good.

I also heard the hunger games were good. But I don't know anyone irl who reads it so I can justify it.  

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

sidenar

Handsome Shounen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:38 am
I've read the Hunger Games~ It's really good. >W< I think you'll enjoy it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:40 am
anticupid16
♭♮♯

PJO and Hunger Games are so worth it! I'm reading the next part of the PJO series called the Lost Heroes right now, as well as the third Hunger Games book!

Also, it's not fantasy but it's sorta Victorian: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It's typically put into the same category as Phantom.

If you like Phantom and Dorian, you might also like The Hunchback of Note Dame by Victor Hugo.

♩♪♫♬

♯♮♭

Victorian is always a plus~ I'll look it up. do you think it wouldn't hurt not to ask for a brief summary? <3

ooooh, Hunchback of Notre Dame. I loved the disney movie, so I'll probably check the bookstore tomorrow if they have it on stock 8D~  

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Iceestar

6,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:41 am
Nox Nyctores
Iceestar

I've watched the first percy jackson movie, it was amazing. I would have read it as well if not for my last minute decision to give the books I just bought to my mom instead. She and a friend of mine said the books were good.

I also heard the hunger games were good. But I don't know anyone irl who reads it so I can justify it.

Just so you know the movie didn't follow the book very much at all.The book is way better though so if you're expecting the same story as the movie, that's not what happened. Many things where different, but it was still an amazing series of books.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:43 am
♭♮♯

Disney HOND VERY different from book. There is no happy ending in the book. I'm gonna go ahead and say Esmeralda is a wimp, Pheobus is a jerk, and Quasi is just...creepy. My favorite characters were insignificant. And the goat.

Picture of Dorian Gray: One day when sitting for a portrait in Basil Hallward's studio, a young Dorian Gray meets Lord Henry Wotton and makes a mad wish that he may never grow old nor be stained by sin. After breaking the heart of a young actress, it is revealed that wishes come true! Dorian falls deeper and deeper into corruption, greed, and sin, creating a demon of his soul and blackening people around him. - Basic summary.

♩♪♫♬

♯♮♭

anticupid16

Desirable Elocutionist

Nox Nyctores

6,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:49 am
anticupid16
♭♮♯

Disney HOND VERY different from book. There is no happy ending in the book. I'm gonna go ahead and say Esmeralda is a wimp, Pheobus is a jerk, and Quasi is just...creepy. My favorite characters were insignificant. And the goat.

Picture of Dorian Gray: One day when sitting for a portrait in Basil Hallward's studio, a young Dorian Gray meets Lord Henry Wotton and makes a mad wish that he may never grow old nor be stained by sin. After breaking the heart of a young actress, it is revealed that wishes come true! Dorian falls deeper and deeper into corruption, greed, and sin, creating a demon of his soul and blackening people around him. - Basic summary.

♩♪♫♬

♯♮♭

it's to be expected of disney. I mean, Alice in wonder land =/= disney adaption. or every other movie Disney based it on.

And the summary just won me into getting the book.This is totally something that I'd want hnnnnng ; u ;

Iceestar

Just so you know the movie didn't follow the book very much at all.The book is way better though so if you're expecting the same story as the movie, that's not what happened. Many things where different, but it was still an amazing series of books.

but doesn't every movie adaption of the book don't stay true to the actual story? dramallama

I'm sure I'll enjoy the books eitherway. = u =  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:51 am
I just wanted to let you know in case you were expecting it to be like the movie. Both are still good.  

Iceestar

6,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

MiaIkumis#1Fan

Dapper Dabbler

7,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:29 pm
Classics, you say?

If you haven't read it already, I highly recommend The Secret Garden by Frances Burnett. It's been one of my favorites since I read it back in middle school.

As for other literary classics I've read that I recommend, Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen and The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. Forgotten Realms by R.A. Salvatore is also a good series if you're into fantasy literature.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 pm
How about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? 3nodding

My sister is strongly into the classics too and we both enjoyed this book immensely! rofl

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

interstellar cowboy

Dangerous Dog

12,150 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:16 pm
Have you tried the Eragon series? It's kind of like Harry Potter meets LOTR.  
18. ✿ - - - Books

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games