Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Go awaaaay, weather Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:43 am
As if we haven't copped it enough recently with 75% of our state affected by flooding... Now we have cyclones, otherwise known has hurricanes, headed our way.

A little one is hitting tonight:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

But its big brother might be heading our way in a few days...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lots can happen between now and then... It could die out over the colder water or change direction. But if it stays on the forecast, I think my state can officially be declared bankrupt ._.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 am
I hated whenever we'd get hurricanes when I still lived in Florida because everything would be ruined for a while. Although, where I lived...idk it was just this lucky place in the state where we never got the worst of the hurricane, we'd just get the outskirts mainly of tons of rain. Only every now and then where I lived did we get really bad ones where there was horrible damage.

But dang, you guys can't catch a break. Hopefully the cyclone meets some cold water so it just dies out.  

comfylove
Crew

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 am
Liciiiiii, you're going to evacuate if it comes close, riiiiiight? ;_;

My mom says it's better to spend the money on gas and a hotel and there not be a need for it than to stay home and find out there was a need for it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:58 am
Comfledore
I hated whenever we'd get hurricanes when I still lived in Florida because everything would be ruined for a while. Although, where I lived...idk it was just this lucky place in the state where we never got the worst of the hurricane, we'd just get the outskirts mainly of tons of rain. Only every now and then where I lived did we get really bad ones where there was horrible damage.

But dang, you guys can't catch a break. Hopefully the cyclone meets some cold water so it just dies out.

If we get heaps more rain, we'll flood again D: The ground is still waterlogged from the floods a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it turns around and goes somewhere else ):

Lychee: Haha, it shouldn't come anywhere near me (touch wood), I'm down near where it says Brisbane now. If I was still living in Mackay, I'd be right in the middle of it though, lol. I hope my friends up there will be okay... They can evacuate down here to me if they have to (:  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:12 am
de.Lici.ous
Comfledore

If we get heaps more rain, we'll flood again D: The ground is still waterlogged from the floods a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it turns around and goes somewhere else ):

Lychee: Haha, it shouldn't come anywhere near me (touch wood), I'm down near where it says Brisbane now. If I was still living in Mackay, I'd be right in the middle of it though, lol. I hope my friends up there will be okay... They can evacuate down here to me if they have to (:

If you need to evacuate i totally dont mind sharing a bed <33
We usually only get the tail end of these sort of things thankfully xP  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:14 am
Any reason why Poseidon's decided to unleash his wrath upon Australia, lately?

Also, please be safe! If things take an unexpected turn, GTFO.
heart

Nexus Carbuncle

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:59 pm
Gah, you guys really can't catch as break can you? >_>  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:00 pm
Sacrifice someone to appease the whether gods!  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:37 pm
angelfromdown-under

If you need to evacuate i totally dont mind sharing a bed <33
We usually only get the tail end of these sort of things thankfully xP

Haha, thanks! <3
Yeah hopefully it doesn't take a turn down here. I was watching a report on it saying it could take a turn as low as Brisbane, but it's more likely it will stay on course to hit further north. It looks like it's heading towards the Solomon Islands at the moment... If it hits them, they're seriously screwed >_>

Nexus: I don't know, seriously! Maybe it's to teach us a lesson for bragging that we don't get natural disasters here besides droughts D: If things take a bad turn and I'm in danger, I will definitely be getting out of here xD

Pain: Ohhh, I can sacrifice my youngest brother! xD  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:37 pm
Well, this cyclone is going to start hitting in about 8 hours... It's stayed right on track and has intensified more than anyone thought it would :/ It's still in cold water, too, so chances are it will get even stronger in the next few hours when it hits the warmer water.
Crap D:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:57 pm
de.Lici.ous
Well, this cyclone is going to start hitting in about 8 hours... It's stayed right on track and has intensified more than anyone thought it would :/ It's still in cold water, too, so chances are it will get even stronger in the next few hours when it hits the warmer water.
Crap D:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

Eck...DO. NOT. WANT...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm
Eep, be sure to let us know your all okay Aussies.  

scrub
Crew

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:06 pm
Updating.

Cyclone Yasi is set to hit sometime around 12pm. The window for evacuating closes in one hour. Cyclone has upgraded to a category 5 cyclone and is set to be the worst that Australia has ever seen. Worse than Tracy who devastated Darwin in the 70s an worse than Larry that hit almost the same region as Yasi is set to hit a few years ago.

To put it in perspective, it's supposed to be similar to what hit New Orleans.

Thankfully i am well out of the danger area. However my Nan and Pop live in Townsville which is right in the path and i know they are too stubborn to leave.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:38 pm
That would be the eye you mean, Shanni? The outer winds will start around 4pm, and the eye will be there around midnight. They're expecting it to last around 12 hours, I think.

If it stays this track, it's going to hit exactly where Larry hit ):
To be fair, though, back in the 70s the buildings were not to cyclone standards. And Innisfail is an old town and all the buildings that suffered damage in Larry were also not to cyclone standards. Since Larry, I'd expect all repairs to have been made to withstand another cyclone.

This will also mean no more bananas this year and next year... Be prepared to be paying $30/kg for them again ):  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:03 pm
How cyclone Yasi compares around the world  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers