43%
 43%  [ 22 ]
I like the second proposal
43%
 43%  [ 22 ]
I have my own idea for helping....
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I don't think there's anything wrong with the way things are.
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 51

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 am
Actually - for customs, if it was just opened up for junior/familiar colorists to do color only mini customs - that would solve alot of the custom issue. The mini is designed to be easier to get - opening up even one or two extra customs slots a month that is mini only - there would be a ton of people with mini concepts that would quest them between the regular sized custom openings. And since it would be no edits [or at most minor edits and/or trading post items] - it would be easily within the range of what junior colorists are allowed to do. And anyone getting a custom from them would do so understanding that their colorist was a junior colorist and the end result might not be the same quality as a senior colorist [though the familiar colorists are wicked talented too].  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:24 am
I particularly like the notion of removing the breeding restrictions as, as Kamiki and others have pointed out, it could be left to chance of the dice as to whether you got an usdia vs. regular or mer vs. kelpie foal and might add to RP ideas.

I co-own one Mer, but I have ideas for more. I haven't really pursued them due to the fact that Mers are exceedingly rare and hard to find RP for, so I'd love to see that door opened up.  

Samuel Carlin

Aged Elocutionist

10,965 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300

Tygress Dream

Beloved Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:33 pm
I really like both ideas. I'd love to be able to enter both my wind and a mini idea into customs at the same time. I don't currently have a seathi and I really love the lines for them; but I've got wind quest I've been pursing for nearing a year now.

With breedings I acctually prefer the size rank option and being able to breed +/- 1. Yes I know it restricts the water dwellers but this shop tends toward more realism in breedings and the seathi are supposed to be housecat sized and even the usdia would be stretching it.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 pm
I like the +1/-1 for breedings best.

There's a rather serious problem for seathi though; the males are the one who get pregnant. While that's fine for seathi male x nonseathi female (the nonseathi female would be the one to get pregnant since she'd have no way to transfer the babes to the male for incubation), seathi female x nonseathi male would be... problematic.  

moineau bavarde

9,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Revolutionary Roniel

Indestructible Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:54 pm
moineau bavarde
I like the +1/-1 for breedings best.

There's a rather serious problem for seathi though; the males are the one who get pregnant. While that's fine for seathi male x nonseathi female (the nonseathi female would be the one to get pregnant since she'd have no way to transfer the babes to the male for incubation), seathi female x nonseathi male would be... problematic.

XD I have to say... if we're using biological arguments in this shop, everything is gonna explode... so I don't know if we really need to think about this part tooooo much.

But I love the +1/-1 breeding scheme too!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:01 pm
Well some kind of alternative thing would have to be developed because ICly there is no way it would work. The easiest fix would be to have the seathi females get pregnant when the male isn't a seathi oooor have the babies grow up in the shells from a really young age.  

moineau bavarde

9,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Azael_Rose

Crew

Festive Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23 pm
Actually as I understood it, the seathi reproduced like sea horses. The male fertilized the females eggs then mom would give the eggs to daddy to carry and incubate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 pm
Right. So the females can't carry the fertilized eggs to term and in a case where there was, say, a female seathi and a male usdia, neither parent would be able to incubate the babies. So if the breeding rules were changed, some kind of IC explanation for how a female seathi x male usdia breeding would work would have to be devised.  

moineau bavarde

9,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Cricket2008

Familiar Shapeshifter

8,425 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hero 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:26 am
Maybe they could use a surrogate. Don't they do that for a Usdia and regular size breeding?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 am
Again, this is would be sweeping changes to the breeding system, so I'm sure something would be figured out if it happened. That would be something I'm sure could be discussed if this even came to pass.  

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Phail Ninja
Vice Captain

Man-Hungry Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:10 am
I foresee a problem with a +/-1 size system. Say a regular bred with a seathi, the offspring would be inbetween the size classes I assume? What if that offspring then bred with another Soq, what would the third generation offspring be classed as? It would get very confusing very quickly, as the system would pretty much break down after the first generation.

However, I agree with some of the other ideas. I would be in favor of taking down the restrictions. What if the Seathi female, upon having her eggs fertilized, IMMEDIATELY put the eggs into shells/baskets so it would be like ultra-premature birth? It would happen at some stage anyway, so just use the baskets/shells as incubators instead of the male Seathi. This would save colorists trouble too, as they wouldn't have to make a pregnant stage.

I also like the idea of a separate cool-down for mini breeds, and to have special "mini/mer only" slots. It would make acquiring one much easier and may prompt many to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:53 am
Phail Ninja
I foresee a problem with a +/-1 size system. Say a regular bred with a seathi, the offspring would be inbetween the size classes I assume? What if that offspring then bred with another Soq, what would the third generation offspring be classed as? It would get very confusing very quickly, as the system would pretty much break down after the first generation.

No need to make it that complicated. The race determines the size category, not the parents.

So if a seathi (small) bred with a regular (medium) all the babies would be EITHER seathis or regulars. Not some kind of hybrid.

edit: assuming seathis were moved up to the same size category as usdias. As I suggested, seathi would be too small to breed with regulars in the first place.

3nodding  

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Wandered

Crew

Headless Hunter

33,090 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Melodic Hunter 500
  • Wandering Head-First 500
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:53 pm
This is still being avidly worked on, and we'll have final answers soon.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:55 pm
Just wanted to let everyone know we're working on getting minis and aquatics more availability and attention. :3 Thanks for being so interested in the smaller species though! Answered.  

Uta

Shy Mage

USS_Galactica

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 pm
Uta
Just wanted to let everyone know we're working on getting minis and aquatics more availability and attention. :3 Thanks for being so interested in the smaller species though! Answered.

Does this include the possible seperate cool-down? (Because I really like that idea, I already have a mini custom ready to try for whenever I can).  
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff