Serial rapist is let out of jail to work in sofa shop

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

K i m z y

Cold Snowflake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:03 am
Evil Michael Chandler, 47, raped six women in a string of terrifying attacks. He was handed six life sentences in 1988 by an Old Bailey judge who warned he should be kept away from women for 30 years.

But prison bosses now allow Chandler out to work alongside women in the Sofa Project furniture warehouse in Bristol.

He is driven there every morning in a prison van then taken back to his cell after clocking off.

The judge labelled Chandler, from Harrow, North West London, "a menace to all women".

A jury heard how he dragged one victim from the bed she was sharing with her husband and raped her, ruining both her life and her marriage.

A nurse, 21, later attempted suicide after being raped three times.

And after each rape attack, sick Chandler would ask his victims if they enjoyed it.

A source said: "It's very creepy to think he's mixing with women and children after what he's done."

When confronted last night before returning to Leyhill Jail, Gloucestershire, Chandler said: "I'm sorry for what I did. It was a long time ago."

A spokesman for the Prison Service said: "We do not comment on individual prisoners."

News story found at http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3432364/Rapist-let-out-of-jail-each-day-to-work-in-shop-selling-sofas.html

Only in England. biggrin
I was being somewhat sarcastic there but seriously this is messed up!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:56 pm
That is horrible! Why would they let someone like that out period, let alone to work with women? If I were one of those women, I would quit. neutral  

Tuba Toothpaste

Toothsome Lover

14,150 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Love Machine 150

K i m z y

Cold Snowflake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:15 pm
Tuba Toothpaste
That is horrible! Why would they let someone like that out period, let alone to work with women? If I were one of those women, I would quit. neutral

You know why they are allowing this because apparently prisoners are in titled to human rights and so that matters more than people getting hurt.

Such is the justice system in England.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:23 pm
That's stupid, and they're still letting him out after all of that?
Don't they care about all those women out there that could get hurt by him?

EarlsGarden

Newbie Hunter

iGrunny E M O

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 pm
You shouldn't be down on the English system.
It's actually worse in the States.
I live right near where there was an attempted rapist. He never succeeded, but attempted six times.
He wasn't convicted because there wasn't 'substantial evidence'. Apart from the word of the six women, who all associated him with the attacks.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 pm
Oh, wow. That's frightening. D;

Recently, a man was released from the county prison here.
He raped like, five young women twenty or so years ago, and his prison sentence is up.
Nope, not a life sentence. Because apparently 20 years in prison will make him less of a sick jackass?
(it probably made him bitter and revengeful, actually..)

He lives in my neighborhood, full of families with young teenage girls and their mothers.
He isn't even on parole! Bah!
At least the sheriff lives in the neighborhood, as well as a few other cops...

And, yes, I live in the US.
Stupid crap like that happens everywhere, not just England..

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

icdogjt nlkalsfmk

7,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:32 pm
I actually think this isn't such a bad thing.

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that if prisoners are slowly reintegrated into society so that regain a sense of self worth they can become nice, ordinary people. If this guy is being driven to and from work each day in a police van he can't really hurt any one in that highly supervised environment, so I don't see what's wrong with giving him a second chance at a decent life.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:03 am
MissNightingaleCat

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that if prisoners are slowly reintegrated into society so that regain a sense of self worth they can become nice, ordinary people. If this guy is being driven to and from work each day in a police van he can't really hurt any one in that highly supervised environment, so I don't see what's wrong with giving him a second chance at a decent life.

This is true. I don't think it's right to assume it'll happen again; he's served his time and should be given a chance. ♥  

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500

K i m z y

Cold Snowflake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 am
Shady-chan
MissNightingaleCat

This is true. I don't think it's right to assume it'll happen again; he's served his time and should be given a chance. ♥

I don't agree. He commited an awful crime and should serve his six life sentences and then he comes out.

He could rape another woman with that chance he gets given. He is a danger and always will be.

Thanks for your opinion, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:30 am
Tuba Toothpaste

me too.
on an unrelated note: I love your avatar!  

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

kitti kat 28

6,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 am
i'd say no, he can't be reformed. Hes just sadistic. Im surpised he wasn't shot and killed already. It's almost like they're giving him a pat on the hand and say 'that's ok'.

people like that shouldn't be allowed to live, just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:43 am

It wasn't a one-time thing. It's safe to say if this guy's given the opportunity he'll take it. exp teaches this unfortunately.  

kitti kat 28

6,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100

ll Angelic Agony ll

Distinct Noob

3,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 am
If he's such a "menace to women" then WTF is he doing in a factory with women?! And, BTW, iGrunny E M O and flauterfli, you guys are right. I don't live by any rapists, but I feel really sorry for you guys and people who do. Good luck. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

08. ✿ - - - All Around The World News

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games