Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Politics and Debates
The term " Gay" being used in a negitave connotation?! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:36 am
Throughout the school year I commonly hear the term gay being used in a negative connotation. I personaly belive this as rude and injustified. Statements like " oh, thats gay" or " Your gay! * Giggle*" are so commonly used, that it has become acceptable and a trend. Any opinions on this?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 am
I really do not care. neutral my guess is that youre still in school and what other people say/think still effects you. Cut the puppet strings and let it pass, most people don't really mean anything by it anyways.  

Don Caballero

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:48 am
Yea, I know, most people don't even think about what they are saying anymore, but I still find it inconsiderate.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:55 am
No, they know what they say. But how does it matter? I grew up when the term was "sticks and stones may break my bones" not "Oh boo hoo, noone likes me because of the way they talk" *gunshot*. And I dont see as how telling someone what they say is wrong. Just think to yourself, "Well Im not ignorant like this douche" and keep walking neutral I mean seriously....  

Don Caballero

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:24 am
The word "so" becomes a really power word in these cases

Person 1: "You're so gay"

Person 2: "So?"

Person 1: "..."

it's really hard to reply to

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Though personally I don't even notice it any more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am
I agree with Don Cabellero and Pent and Ten.

Its going to happen, because many people can just be very ignorant. If you just let it roll by, or not take it as an offence and just say so, removing the way that people think they can hurt you, then it becomes less of an offensive, and will disappear all together. I had many people say it to me, but when you remove their attack, they don't have anything left to try and use.  

Vega Futago

MangledUnicorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:52 pm
"That's so gay", "You're so gay."

My response is, "....And you're point is?" oooor "And I'm lovin it, b***h" ;D  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:57 pm
RaiNbOw_GuT
"That's so gay", "You're so gay."

My response is, "....And you're point is?" oooor "And I'm lovin it, b***h" ;D

I love doing that to people! Although that just made them stop saying it to me, but saying it to other people, so I dunno if that counts as a win or not...

Alyska_the_Original

5,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Farzine

Shameless Lover

9,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 am
This doesn't really bother me much, but it bothers my gay friend a lot. I used to use the term a lot, but when I think it may offend someone I said- "That's gay, in a bad way." =/
It's a bad habit I'm trying to kick.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm
A word is a word is a word. It only holds negative meaning to it if you let it. Since it's a 'trendy' thing, it will pass soon enough. Hopefully.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

FauxZombie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:14 am
The statements are going to be said whether or not they think it's offensive to someone else.

In high school I know people were trying to really crack down hard on people using it, but I really didn't see why people were fussing about it so much since I didn't think much on the phrase. I still don't.

Even if you find it offensive, you should just grin and bare it.
They may or may not be meaning to offend you, but the best you can do is either turn it around on them (as in what people have already been posting so far) or just ignore the fact they said it entirely and continue on with the conversation.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 am
Whenever someone says that to me I go; "Oh I know" and smile.

They're all like: "…..whatever."

- u -  

ll-Mystic Rhythms-ll

Gordums

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 pm
I don't really like it. I know it offends people and I know it makes it a lot harder for people to come out of the closet or make it difficult for people who are struggling with their sexuality. It even makes people think it's okay to use it and when soemthign is gay, it's bad.

Simply, I just treat them like I would with my friends and ask them to not say that since it;s offensive and homophobic. Straight up like any other person.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 am
i call things gay anf f*****t all the time.... and I've been with a few guys and am trying to get with one now?

Words are only harmful if you allow them to have power  

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

mitus310

5,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:46 am
it not just the word 'gay' being used but words such as 'f*****t' and 'homo' that are quite frequently used. it is offensive and when my freinds use 'gay' in a sentence that does not pertain to a truly gay man i correct them to try and get the point accross to tothers whom may be around. i also took part in the National Day of Silence to help put my feelings out there bout how we of the LGBT community are effeted by such terms. i gave a 'speak card' to my teacher who is very strict on children that use the offencive terms against LGBT and she posted it for all students to see. so your school is not the only school that has this discusting issue. keep strong.  
Politics and Debates

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff