22%  [ 4 ]
Nope~
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

alienli

Friendly Tipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:14 am
First off, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm advertising, I just noticed this and I wanted to ask the girls in here about it. > ~ <;;

Okay,
So it appears that visual novels aren't too popular on gaia, or at least people have liked one or two, but that's it. D':
Or at least they aren't obsessed like I am.
Is this really how it is?

I know a lot of people don't like them because a lot of them are very perverted or really similar to plain dating sims, but most [good] visual novels have great plots in them. They almost remind me of 'animated' comic books, because they are still scenes with lots of text, you know?
Anyways, yeah. That question.
Do you girls play visual novels? If so, do you like them, or just a certain one?

I guess this is almost a rant, and I'm sorry about that. It's just... visual novels are amazing and I want to share them with people.
; n ;

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:12 pm
I've played a few games that are VN-ish. Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk are similar in style to what I've seen of VNs, but I'm not sure if they're considered visual novels or not. Persona 3 and Persona 4 definitely aren't VNs, but the Social Link aspect of the games also had that style to them.

I'm kind of interested in playing VNs, but I know very little about what's good and where to get them. About the only place I know of to get VNs is Mangagamer, and I'd want VNs that have a story instead of just being about sleeping with as many girls (or guys) as possible.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

alienli

Friendly Tipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:20 am
Zephyrkitty

Yeah, Phoenix Wright is similar, but I don't know the others.
Well, if you are really interested this awesome website has a ton of information about them.
Some VNs are free, others you have to buy, of course.
They have a really nifty tag system, and filtering, so you can find pretty much anything.
I could lose myself in there searching for visual novels. x'D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm
Utziel
Zephyrkitty

Yeah, Phoenix Wright is similar, but I don't know the others.
Well, if you are really interested this awesome website has a ton of information about them.
Some VNs are free, others you have to buy, of course.
They have a really nifty tag system, and filtering, so you can find pretty much anything.
I could lose myself in there searching for visual novels. x'D

Hotel Dusk has a page, so I guess it is a visual novel.
Persona 3 and Persona 4 are JRPGs for the PS2 (although P3 also got a PSP port). Both games take place over the course of a school year, and you can spend most days hanging out with other characters. You develop Social Links by hanging out with people, and raising your Social Links gives you various bonuses for the dungeon-crawling parts of the games.

surprised
That site is incredibly helpful. Thanks!  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

alienli

Friendly Tipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:09 pm
Zephyrkitty

Hmm, I'll have to try Hotel Dusk out for sure, it looks good.
Really? I'll have to check those out, too. xD
I've heard a lot about Persona, but I don't know what they're about.

You're very welcome, I love this website. x3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:11 pm
Utziel
Zephyrkitty

Hmm, I'll have to try Hotel Dusk out for sure, it looks good.
Really? I'll have to check those out, too. xD
I've heard a lot about Persona, but I don't know what they're about.

You're very welcome, I love this website. x3

Hotel Dusk was pretty good. The story wasn't very good compared to most book, but it was good for a video game.
I know there's also 999 (that was by the guy who wrote Ever17, I think), although I haven't played it yet.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are both set in modern-day Japan, with P4 happening a couple of years after P3 (although the games are stand-alone; you can play P4 first and all you'll miss are some references to P3). In both of the games, you're an ordinary high school student who discovers he has the ability to summon a Persona (essentially a representation of the characters' personality) in order to fight monsters called Shadows. In P3, the Shadows appear during a time called the Dark Hour (a time between days that ordinary people are unaware of) and you join up with a group of students trying to figure out why the Dark Hour exists and how to eliminate it. P4 is more of a murder mystery; the Shadows live in a bizarro TV world and someone else is sending people to this world to kill them off. You have to rescue anyone that ends up there and figure out who the culprit is.

P4 only had one release for the PS2, but P3's gotten a couple of re-releases. FES (for the PS2) adds an epilogue about a month after the main game, and Portable (for the PSP) omits the epilogue but gives you the option to play as a boy or a girl (with most of the Social Links being changed between the two versions, obviously).  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

alienli

Friendly Tipper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:38 pm
Zephyrkitty

Oh my god, P3 sounds extremely similar to this book I read a few years ago. I'm going to have to play it now, for sure. They both sound very good, though. P:

And thank you so much for tell me these and explaining them to me. x3 ♥

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:09 pm
I used to play quite a bit of of otome games.
(Renai Shugi Road To Emerald
Other Age
Love & Order
Princess Debut
Heileen 1&2
Spirited Heart
Date Warp
Yo-Jin-Bo
Re:Alistair ++
Fantasia, the realm of thanos
Love blossom
Sim Dates from Pacthesis; Wonderland days, Chrono days, Kingom days, etc. )

I have also played outside that genre with games such as Jisei, x-note, hysteria project, ripples, phantom seeds, wish upon a shooting star, etc etc.

I am not crazy into v/n but I love stories where what choices you make decides the ending and I suppose that's why I like them so much. I prefer otome though because I find it really cute and i'm a sucker for over the top romance. c:

Hilfin

Illegitimate Princess

Intellectual Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:10 pm
I have played most that have been mentioned (my favorite being the phoenix wright series) it is one of the less popular game genres in the U.S. but there are more than enough of us fans to keep it alive.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 am
Yesh, I like Visual novels <3! I am not sure which one is my favorite yet though. I have been reading Ballad of an Evening Butterfly, but I also play some Otome games o.o! Like Re: Alistair ++ and Yo-Jin-Bo...If only I could place Heart no Kuni no Alice D:!  

IrisIrene88

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:48 am
I don't like VNs at all. xp I hate, hate, hate them! burning_eyes

I'm a speed reader and I go through blocks of text within minutes if not seconds and with the scrolling text of games like this, I just fly right through them, clicking the "Next" button as fast as it can load. VNs don't last more than an hour or less with me.

Plus, I have yet to find a VN with a compelling and deep story that suits my taste and I feel illustrations inhibit the imagination and the experience (the eat up the precious memory that could otherwise be used for developing the story more).

As far as games go, I like games that allow me to explore open worlds freely and uncover the story at my own pace, kind of like the old-school Square Soft games, with puzzles and challenges.

The only electronic form of reading I do for novels is with my e-reader.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:25 pm
Whatever is a Visual Novel, I'm not quite sure?  

Ahava Chanita

Unbeatable Foe

Mallori_Cantare

Gem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 am
I was first introduced to vn's when I was 14 and my dad bought me a ds and phoenix wright. I loved it and it was funny but serious as well. I loved the character Edgeworth and his story. I now have all his games and I lvoe the 8 bit music. I also play VN's on my PC like togainu no chi and Clannad and Stein's gate. I am currently playing Digital:a love story. It's different and I love it. I wish there were some english horror vn's like 999 on the ds and higurashi no naku koro ni or uminko. I've played school days and I was shocked about the ending.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:04 am
I love VNs. I've only played trial versions though as I don't have the proper gaming platform for them, but I do enjoy them. I especially love the BL ones. whee  

Blade of the Contessa

Unforgiving Duelist

Spicy Waifu

Precious Reindeer

10,750 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 pm
User Image

Oh my gosh, I love, love, LOVE Visual Novels. Sometimes they can seem long for me and I'll get a case of ADD but boy do I love reading them regardless. I love it when I get all into it and can't stop, and once I pull myself away I find that I was reading for hours. Now those are the good kind. Right now I'm working on Umineko which also happens to be one of my top favs. whee

User Image

28. ✿ - - - Video Games

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces