Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Gender roles.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:38 pm
What sort of things come to mind when you think of gender roles? List some occupations, hobbies, personality traits, and strengths you think of when it comes to the male and female genders and tell us how you differ from what society thinks.

For example, I'm male but I enjoy cooking and (to a lesser extent) cleaning, while I dislike heavy labor for the most part. I also dislike sports and prefer peace and quiet.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 pm
Personally, I think gender roles are BS. You know, we are forced to believe that girls play with dolls and boys play with... MANLY dolls, when it really shouldn't matter what toys a child should and can play with.

If you strip away feminine ideals away from a boy, and label them as a negative trait for males to have, then most likely than not, that little boy will grow up to be a misogynic douchebag. And No one likes a douchebag, kids.

Of course, what I'm spewing out of my lips is flawed nonsense, so don't pay me any mind. I mean, really it makes no sense.
razz  

punkcrasher

hawkmaster91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 pm
Boys gender roles: play with toy guns, learn how to shoot a real gun, cant cry.

girls: play with dolls, play dress up and school and house

sterotypical men jobs: body builder, athlete, construction worker, auto machenic.

women: parent, home maker, secartary.

personally i fit strive to fit the "emale gender roles" that might have somethign to do wiht me being transgender. ftm  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 am
i mean mtf
hawkmaster91
Boys gender roles: play with toy guns, learn how to shoot a real gun, cant cry.

girls: play with dolls, play dress up and school and house

sterotypical men jobs: body builder, athlete, construction worker, auto machenic.

women: parent, home maker, secartary.

personally i fit strive to fit the "emale gender roles" that might have somethign to do wiht me being transgender. ftm

hawkmaster91

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:57 pm
Why label anything in the first place?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 am
I personally think it would be amazing if children were raised without having a gender. That would remove a lot of harmful expectations placed upon them. Once they hit puberty, they could choose to be whichever gender they would like, or remain androgynous. Eventually, gender roles would probably disappear altogether.  

DukesGrace

Cody Convicted

7,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:07 am
I grew up very gender neutral, but after a certain age, my parents tried to guide me into being more feminine. I could never be. I fit into a lot of things that are stereotypically male. For example, I prefer wearing suits over dresses, I never wear makeup on a daily basis and I adore video games.
I often wonder if my parents' displeasure at my gender expression stems from notions that if I were more feminine, I wouldn't be gay.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 am
I have far more male traits than I do female. I feel like a lot of people believe that women are weak and should be cared for hand and foot. I myself prefer to do the caring rather than being the one cared for.  

Amethyst_Follower

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:14 pm
Shilberu Erikku
Why label anything in the first place?
I'm merely curious; nothing more.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:35 pm
i was born a male. i am the girl in a straight relationship. i would wear a cute little skirt if i wouldnt get shunned by everyone. i wish gender roles didnt exist.  

Katie Kaguya

Dangerous Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Sai-chibitalia

Rainbow Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:12 pm
Cody Convicted
I grew up very gender neutral, but after a certain age, my parents tried to guide me into being more feminine. I could never be. I fit into a lot of things that are stereotypically male. For example, I prefer wearing suits over dresses, I never wear makeup on a daily basis and I adore video games.
I often wonder if my parents' displeasure at my gender expression stems from notions that if I were more feminine, I wouldn't be gay.

Same here.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:06 pm
Normal prissy girls: Barbie Dolls, pink, tea parties, pink, fruity pink things, pink, feather boa princess stuff, playing with only girls, pink, pink, and more pink..

Me: Hotwheels, playing with boys, mud, skateboards, bugs, extreme things, liked all my things neat(still do), sneakers, so called boyish things.

And there isn't a problem with me, I still liked dress and stuff. I'm still a feminine person, I like boy things still. But I like being my gender. It's ridiculous to say that I might turn into a transgendered person. I like girls and guys, but that's beside the point. Just because you're a girl doesn't mean you HAVE to be the prissy one. Another stereotype is the homemaker, and the one who does all the housework. I mean I love children, would love to have them. But whomever my spouse would be, does half. I mean half of everything, the housework, the childcare, the grub maker, and I believe my authority is equal to a man, per say the housewife has to ask a man if she wants to go out, or in my case whoever is my partner, I believe I will notify I'm going out in case he/she is having an emergency, but I do whatever I feel I need or want to. But then I'd be labeled a b***h. ._. Bottom line, no one tells me what I can and can't do, you can tell me opinions or say maybe we don't have enough money, but jut because you need me to make a sandwich is not a good enough reason, make it yourself. Things should be done out of love, not higharchy.  

Emerald Zombie

Dedicated Player

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces