Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Chatterbox
How did you come out to your parents? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did your parents have a positive or negative reaction with you coming out?
  Positive
  Neutral
  Negative
View Results

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:33 pm
I haven't fully come out yet, but i'm pretty sure they know. Don't you just hate when your parents snoop through your stuff/computer/phone?? It may be for our protection and for our own good, but they are still breaking the trust o.o

I have a friend who came out to his parents in a form of a knock-knock joke: F=Friend P = Parents
F: Knock knock
P: Who's there?
F: Your gay son

They had a surprised reaction but then laughed along. They're fine with him being gay.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 pm
My parents (especially my dad I think) already knew basically, but I still wasn't comfortable telling them. It wasn't until I told my cousin (who I'm very close to) that it got the ball rolling; I came out to another cousin after that, then my boyfriend at the time, and even classmates! I eventually got so comfortable saying something like "No I don't date men; Yes that means I love women!" that I just went up to my parents and told them. And you know what? They did know cool  

faberryjuice

Cody Convicted

7,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:20 pm
I came out to my parents by a morbid accident. They were neutral about it at least, probably to not add to the situation.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:58 pm
I never really got the chance to come out. My cousin who went to school with me found out and called home sick so he could tell all my family A.S.A.P. I was pissed for a while, but I got over it. I just felt robbed of something important. As for how my family reacted, they didn't really have one. My dad was pissy for a few years, but, other than that nothing really changed. My family is crazy, and there are a lot of down sides to being a part of it. But they are very accepting with how you are as a person no matter who you are. Your fashions will be judged though.  

aushtin13

Yue_Kizu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:58 pm
I told my dad and he basically thought i was making a joke and said id basically get over it. The only people who know mainly are my mates and the people ive dated. I left on most social internet sites my dating perfences but i think my family for example think its a joke against them. Idk my family are wierd x  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:00 am
I called my mum from college, on mothers day.
"Hi mom happy mothers day! I wanted you to know that I am gay and also I am getting a tattoo!"

she was more interested in the fact I was getting a tattoo. Hah. She was like "oh you are gay? that is nice honey. WHERE IS THIS TATTOO? WHAT IS IT? HOW BIG IS IT? HOW MUCH IS IT GOING TO COST? CAN YOU HIDE IT?!?!?"

After 4 years my friends still die laughing about it...  

Congelata

Gefallener

5,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:22 pm
I haven't come out to my mom yet, but I don't think it's that big of a deal since I'm bi :l I dunno I always thought that if you were gay it would be a bigger deal... but anyway I did come out to my friends through a joke. What happened was we were talking about our class shirt
Me: "It's gay!"(bad of me I know, but I don't use the word like that anymore)
Friend one: "Well you're gay"
Me: "That's only half true"
Friend two: "Wait, you're bi?!"
Friend three: "honestly I'm not surprised."
Friend one: "Actually neither am I"
and the whole table was cracking up in laughter.
If I end up with a girlfriend then I figured I would just go up to my mom one day and say "Hey mom, I'm bi and this is my girlfriend (insert name here)" I'm thinkin she'll be a little surprised, but I know she'll be okay with it and may even laugh.  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:53 pm
Oh gosh, I didn't... They found out about my girlfriend via my texts, they were pretty pissed, they still are! XD

iSplasHinPuddles

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:24 pm
I informed mine (and my friends) over Facebook. My mom seemed happy about me being bi; the other side of my family either didn't see it or never told me how they felt about it.  
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:29 pm
xRainexArashix
I haven't come out to my mom yet, but I don't think it's that big of a deal since I'm bi :l I dunno I always thought that if you were gay it would be a bigger deal... but anyway I did come out to my friends through a joke. What happened was we were talking about our class shirt
If I end up with a girlfriend then I figured I would just go up to my mom one day and say "Hey mom, I'm bi and this is my girlfriend (insert name here)" I'm thinkin she'll be a little surprised, but I know she'll be okay with it and may even laugh.
Nearly this same situation happened with me when I was walking with some friends of mine. One of them said something, I said that was ghey, the other said that I was, I said only half, and they both kinda just stared at me for a bit and walked on the other side of the road for a few seconds jokingly. lol Was no big deal really.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Gefallener

5,750 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:45 pm
Le Scratch
xRainexArashix
Nearly this same situation happened with me when I was walking with some friends of mine. One of them said something, I said that was ghey, the other said that I was, I said only half, and they both kinda just stared at me for a bit and walked on the other side of the road for a few seconds jokingly. lol Was no big deal really.

XD how awesome. I actually just came out to my mom today. It went exactly as I thought it would, she told me she loved me for me ^^ made me happy.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:48 pm
Me coming out to my parents was... messy.
It all came sort-of tumbling out and in the end turned out awkward to say the least. Maybe it was just me razz

I'll have to get back to you on their reactions, but so far Neutral.  

Pink Slowpoke

Liberal Man-Lover

xAlfredxThexHerox

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:34 am
I've come out to my parents separately, twice, for two different reasons o_o.
First was... I don't even think I ever just came out rather than just state the fact that I liked both men and women to my mother in various ways to her for so long that I think she got the general idea over time. I remember sitting in the car once, and she was trying to rationalize it saying "Oh, I could think a woman is beautiful, you know! Find her special! But really, I couldn't have sex with her!" and I just snapped "Yes, well, I could". That was back when I hadn't come out about being transgender. She looked at me odd, but she' was really fine with it.

Coming out as a transgender was the real challenge. I've known since I was 13, and things before that suddenly make more sense. I broke up with my boyfriend because It was really hurting me that he saw me as a girl, and the evening I did my mother found me in my room. That's when I not only told her I broke up with him, I also came out. She was neutral towards positive, and after a few months suddenly started talking about it herself when she'd have the time to think it over. Now she's really supportive.

My dad... well that was forced, really. I told my ex about being male, because I didn't find it fair to just leave him hanging. He'd apparently told a friend of ours, though (that's how it goes, really), and the guy started stalking me over the months. In the end he started aggressively trying to get me to 'admit it' to him so he could be a saint and accept me and I should be grateful. Yes, it was very creepy. I was really upset over it, and when I was telling my mother angrily, my father walked in and overheard my rant. My mother and I didn't know if he got it, so in the end she helped me arrange a talk with him when we were all in the car on a long trip. He acted really positive, said "Well, it's not as if I'm surprised", and he's really supporting me in my physical changes as well.

Haven't really come out to friends and other family though.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:10 pm
Ah hahaha that's funny how your friend came out.
I came out to my mom recently, though I don't think she really understand that i'm also like girls. My Dad doesn't know and really can't and dont want to tell him. Cause that reaction would be bad. Seriously, he's already told me i have to be with a man and have children that are blood related cause he wants grand children.
Kinda strange since he calls my sister kids. *My sister from my moms side...we have different days* his grand children and they aren't blood related. Strange?
A few years ago i tried telling my friends....kinda went like this:
Me: *nervous* hey guys i have something to tell you.
Guy friend: *joking* Your gay
Me: nope. only half. *laughs*
*table shocked*
Me: I'm just kidding.
childhood best friend: i know. you would never be like that

*few months later*
told my guy friend. he was okay with it.
told my childhood best friend. kinda shocked but now ask questions about how to tell when someones not straight and how many girls hit on her.

*gots new friends*
mix of sexuality. Love it.  

loveless_in_hell

7,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250

Harmony8910

4,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:56 pm
I told my mom, when we were watching a court show(I'm positive it was Judge Judy). One of the people in court were gay, and she was kind of(I hope this isn't offensive) butch. My mother said something about the girl. I forgot what I said, but after I said, "I think I might like girls." She calls me her 'gay girl' because she know it annoys me. She was alright with it. As for my father, the man hardly thinks about me so I don't really care, but he probably wouldn't like it.  
Chatterbox

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff