Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starr Struk

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 am

For quite some time, I have been analyzing this word 'faith'.
This word, and the many words that surround it, has had me a little curious as to what it really is, and what it means to have faith.
I think I've figured it out.

People are weak.
We're scared.
We always need to know that something is there so we're not alone.
We can't rely on each other, because we, as people, don't live forever.
People die. And that makes us afraid to trust ourselves.
We need something that will never leave, will never hurt us, betray us, frighten us, lie to us.
Or do anything to make us uncomfortable. We need something that knows how to listen to our problems, and bring us miracles.
We need something that can feel our emotions, something that will understand and forgive us when we do something that makes us feel guilty.
We need that security.
We want to be loved at all times, we want something that will always be there, no matter what.

Did I confuse you? Or do you completely understand? Lol.

Everybody has something.
Kids have their stuffed animals, their blankets, imaginary friends.
Religious people have their Bibles, their churches, God(s).
Non religious people have Nature, Science, themselves.

To be honest, this wasn't the path I meant to go.
These are not the thoughts I had meant to you. (so if it confuses you, that is why)

These are new thoughts. That I intend on thinking over even more.

Anyway.
People use all these different things to protect themselves.
No one wants to be alone.

Am I saying that God is equal to a baby's blanket? or that a stuffed animal is equal to someones belief in Science?
Sure.

Am I just rambling on nonsense things because its 4 in the morning.
Probably.

It makes sense to me now.
Probably won't later.
So tell me, What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:38 pm
If that belief makes you feel better then more power to you.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:20 am
That has always been my view on religion- as well as a precursor to science, it is a security measure, so to speak. Especially with the whole afterlife.
We're terrified of leaving our loved ones, and we have this hope that there is a place that we "go to" after we die to see them later, to comfort ourselves. User Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:24 am
Shady-chan
That has always been my view on religion- as well as a precursor to science, it is a security measure, so to speak. Especially with the whole afterlife.
We're terrified of leaving our loved ones, and we have this hope that there is a place that we "go to" after we die to see them later, to comfort ourselves. User Image

I completely concur with you. Blind faith such as this--as described by the original post could be compared to an opiate or a drug. Sort of that first immersion into fantasy and wishful thinking when people feel they lack control over their lives--internal locus of control. And therefore,psychologically speaking, must find ways to influence their world one way or the other, via prayers,magic, preaching about their holy books to others and making up prophecies. The really insecure have to mix their worldview with politics and law-- as well as education. Because they fear that their own safety and that of their 'soul' is always in constant danger.

My hypothesis is that these people lack a sense of self-- lack self-esteem and are afraid even of their own shadow. They carry a very small candle in a very,very dark room and claim that candle to be the only source of light and knowledge and peace.

Just saying.  

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Starr Struk

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 am
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Shady-chan

I completely concur with you. Blind faith such as this--as described by the original post could be compared to an opiate or a drug. Sort of that first immersion into fantasy and wishful thinking when people feel they lack control over their lives--internal locus of control. And therefore,psychologically speaking, must find ways to influence their world one way or the other, via prayers,magic, preaching about their holy books to others and making up prophecies. The really insecure have to mix their worldview with politics and law-- as well as education. Because they fear that their own safety and that of their 'soul' is always in constant danger.

My hypothesis is that these people lack a sense of self-- lack self-esteem and are afraid even of their own shadow. They carry a very small candle in a very,very dark room and claim that candle to be the only source of light and knowledge and peace.

Just saying.

AMEN! (lol)
But really! You say what I try to say, but just cannot find the words ><

It is nice to know that others understand what I am trying to say.
Hahah.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:53 pm
Starr Struk
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Shady-chan

Just saying.

AMEN! (lol)
But really! You say what I try to say, but just cannot find the words ><

It is nice to know that others understand what I am trying to say.
Hahah.

^w^. It's okay. I think we all know what it is we are trying to say--the message is still the same. The dissipation of ignorance,superstition and groundless certainty.  

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Religion and Faith Forum [Debate, Discuss, Explain]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items