Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starr Struk

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:29 am

Okay, this thread contains my original 'faith' thoughts.
If you read my other thread Fear of being alone = Faith? you'll see how I got off topic. lol

Anyway.

You know how some people say "if you believe it will happen, then it will" or "you have to believe in yourself to achieve your goals" etc etc..

Well I think this same strategy goes for religious people.
They pray to their God(s) asking of something. And they believe that their God(s) love them.
They believe that they will take care of them and give them what they need.

They are believing that something is going to happen.

Same goes for if they are guilty of something, and they pray to their God(s) asking for forgiveness.
They already 'believe' that they are going to be forgiven. So when they are done praying. They feel better.

I guess I'll just get straight to the point from here:

There does not have to be some almighty figure for you to believe that something will happen.
It's just imaginary. If you want something. You have to believe that you'll get it.
You have to try.
You think God gave you that raise at your job? No, you went out and worked hard to get that.
You think God brought your family back together? No, you did what you had to do to make peace.
You think God blessed you with happiness? No, that was you telling yourself to be happy.
You think God forgave you for guilt? No, that was you forgiving yourself.

People are to weak to believe that they can trust themselves. They always need something/someone to lean on. Something to tell them what they have to do. Whats right, whats wrong.
You know what you have to do. You know whats right.
God has no control over your life. You control your life.
You just have to believe.

////inspirational pep talk

Lol
This was also done at 4 am.
Sorry if it seems a bit rushed. I lack the ability to transition at this hour.
<3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 pm
These seems to be a far cry from the "People are weak," argument you made in the other thread. Now you're basically saying the complete opposite, that people are more powerful than God.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Starr Struk

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:51 am
Obscurus
These seems to be a far cry from the "People are weak," argument you made in the other thread. Now you're basically saying the complete opposite, that people are more powerful than God.

Yea I guess it is a bit opposite.

Idk, my mind is constantly running on about this topic. I'm always changing my mind about things,
and apparently contradicting myself too! hahah.

I guess I just refuse to just believe in one thing when it comes to religion lol.

(I've been down several routes. Now, I guess I'm just going down the anti-superior-being route lol)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:53 am
But God could be real, it is your belief that he isn't, but for the lack of better judgment, maybe he is.
There are people who do believe in God, it is their belief that he is real.
It just comes down to what you think and what this other guy thinks.
You can't prove God is there, but you can't prove he isn't there.
I am just saying that if we are really discussing beliefs, then you should also consider that there is no way to prove that there is or is not a divine creator.

((I am not in any way putting down what you think or say.))  

Vanilla Winter

6,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 pm
personally, I think religion is seriously over thought. there's at least one being humans call god that created the universe. but there is no way to prove or disprove anyone's religion, therefor, they're all right. and if your peccmistic (or atheist, they're all wrong. just my simple, well hated opinion.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:35 am
Obscurus

People are their own god. I know I am my own god-- in the sense that nothing outside of myself influences me in any way I would not want it to. The belief in myself and my loved ones keeps me going. And it is not weakness,but lack of confidence in one's own abilities which may lead one to hold such notions of something else controlling and exerting power over one's existence.

@xGunnerGirlx: Just like one cannot prove or disprove the existence of fairies or unicorns. Lack of evidence does not mean things are or are not. It just means it is highly unlikely. But,sure... people will believe in whatever gives them more comfort. Until they find themselves.  

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Starr Struk

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 am
BSPBleach
personally, I think religion is seriously over thought. there's at least one being humans call god that created the universe. but there is no way to prove or disprove anyone's religion, therefor, they're all right. and if your peccmistic (or atheist, they're all wrong. just my simple, well hated opinion.

Lol you confuse me.
"but there is no way to prove or disprove anyone's religion, therefor, they're all right."
Then right AFTER that, you say that being "pessimistic" and Atheist is the same thing. And THEN you say that being that is wrong. xD what are you saying?

As long as there is a God involved, then it's right? hahah okayy.

&& XxrationalsexybitchxX said. I think they get what I mean. He said "People are there own God".
And I think that is very true. It's kind of what I was trying to say in the original post.
I just lacked the words.. again. lol.
But I'm not really trying to make you believe that. I was just wanting to know what you thought about it.

I don't really think I got that from you.

@xGunnerGirlx
I appreciate your response && yea youre right, there is no proof.
But if we sat around all day waiting for proof, we'd be wasting our lives! lol
I know a lot of us dont need proof. but some of us do.

And me, I know the proof isnt there. so i cant believe in something that's not there.. ya know?
I am the most proof I have of anything, so I follow myself instead of what a god, that may or may not be there, wants me to follow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:13 pm
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Obscurus

People are their own god. I know I am my own god-- in the sense that nothing outside of myself influences me in any way I would not want it to. The belief in myself and my loved ones keeps me going. And it is not weakness,but lack of confidence in one's own abilities which may lead one to hold such notions of something else controlling and exerting power over one's existence.

Nothing outside of you influences you in a way that you wouldn't want it to? That's pretty arrogant and quite untrue. Everything around us influences us whether we want it to or not. Popular culture, the weather, society at large, the very laws of physics, etc. It could be argued that we don't even have free will. Benjamin Libet went a ways to making that argument if you want to look him up.

Just because we have confidence in our ability to do something doesn't mean we can do it. We are not in control of our existence whether we believe in a god or gods or if we believe solely in our own ability to choose our destinies. We are in control of very, very little regardless of what statement of faith we put out there.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Starr Struk

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:50 pm
Obscurus
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Obscurus

Nothing outside of you influences you in a way that you wouldn't want it to? That's pretty arrogant and quite untrue. Everything around us influences us whether we want it to or not. Popular culture, the weather, society at large, the very laws of physics, etc. It could be argued that we don't even have free will. Benjamin Libet went a ways to making that argument if you want to look him up.

Just because we have confidence in our ability to do something doesn't mean we can do it. We are not in control of our existence whether we believe in a god or gods or if we believe solely in our own ability to choose our destinies. We are in control of very, very little regardless of what statement of faith we put out there.

I think what they mean is that their way of thinking, and their morals aren't influenced by outside things.
If something terrible happens and they are left to make a decision about whatever, they wouldn't have to ask 'What Would Jesus Do?'
They already know what to do because of their faith in themselves. Whether their decision be good or bad, it is their own, no one/nothing influenced them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:57 pm
Starr Struk
Obscurus
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Obscurus

I think what they mean is that their way of thinking, and their morals aren't influenced by outside things.
If something terrible happens and they are left to make a decision about whatever, they wouldn't have to ask 'What Would Jesus Do?'
They already know what to do because of their faith in themselves. Whether their decision be good or bad, it is their own, no one/nothing influenced them.

Whether one believes in God or secular philosophy, their decisions are still influenced by things outside of themselves. We are largely reactive in our day-to-day lives. If Libet's research is to be taken seriously then we may be entirely reactive in our existence, that being we possess no free will at all.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:03 pm
Obscurus
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Obscurus

I should have explained my statement better-- or clarified it--
I cannot decide how the weather affects me, when I am going to die or get sick. When I am going to get into an accident,gravity,etc. But other things,such as popular culture, societal norms, notions, traditions and so forth I can choose to ignore and render them powerless over me, my body, my eating habits, whom I let into my life, what I learn, when I learn it...those things I have a say in. So,not 'everything' around me has an influence upon me that is not desired by me in some way. The human influences, for example. The ideas around me--another example. So,in that regard ,I am in control.

Another side of this are my emotions-- I know they originate within my own brain, not in the events or the people that surround me. It is how I think of certain occurrences that inspire a certain chemical reaction in me. I choose to not get angry, be violent, be reckless. That is another thing I have control over. I cannot bend the laws of nature,because it is humanly impossible.I know my own limits at the present time and I move within those limits-- not claiming to know what is beyond the evidence presented to me. I play my cards accordingly--and I am always on the lookout for better hands and new opportunities.
So,whilst I may not be completely free-- I am flexible and I know myself. That,to me is a form of independence--for I do not fight the factors I cannot control, but revel in observing and understanding the ones I have some say in.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:38 pm
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Obscurus
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Obscurus

I should have explained my statement better-- or clarified it--
I cannot decide how the weather affects me, when I am going to die or get sick. When I am going to get into an accident,gravity,etc. But other things,such as popular culture, societal norms, notions, traditions and so forth I can choose to ignore and render them powerless over me, my body, my eating habits, whom I let into my life, what I learn, when I learn it...those things I have a say in. So,not 'everything' around me has an influence upon me that is not desired by me in some way. The human influences, for example. The ideas around me--another example. So,in that regard ,I am in control.

Another side of this are my emotions-- I know they originate within my own brain, not in the events or the people that surround me. It is how I think of certain occurrences that inspire a certain chemical reaction in me. I choose to not get angry, be violent, be reckless. That is another thing I have control over. I cannot bend the laws of nature,because it is humanly impossible.I know my own limits at the present time and I move within those limits-- not claiming to know what is beyond the evidence presented to me. I play my cards accordingly--and I am always on the lookout for better hands and new opportunities.
So,whilst I may not be completely free-- I am flexible and I know myself. That,to me is a form of independence--for I do not fight the factors I cannot control, but revel in observing and understanding the ones I have some say in.

I think that you underestimate the sway of society and culture on you. Do you practice the custom of shaking hands when formally meeting someone? I do even though I don't particularly like it because if I don't that puts me at a disadvantage in society. I could theoretically choose not to shake someone's hand upon meeting them, but if that person may offer me employment or promotion it would be a good idea for me to shake their hand. Am I making sense?

As far as popular culture affecting us whether we want it to or not, you might want to look into something called a "meme." Richard Dawkins came up with that term, believe it or not.

I maintain that regardless of personal philosophy we are not as free or in control as we like to think we are, even within human constructs like society, culture, and relationships.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:03 pm
Starr Struk
BSPBleach
personally, I think religion is seriously over thought. there's at least one being humans call god that created the universe. but there is no way to prove or disprove anyone's religion, therefor, they're all right. and if your peccmistic (or atheist,) they're all wrong. just my simple, well hated opinion.

Lol you confuse me.
"but there is no way to prove or disprove anyone's religion, therefor, they're all right."
Then right AFTER that, you say that being "pessimistic" and Atheist is the same thing. And THEN you say that being that is wrong. xD what are you saying?

well no. what i meant was you cant say one religion is wrong and yours is right since you cant see or hear god to prove one religion over another, so any religion is right. aethists and pessimistic people would say thats the exact reason why there isnt a god. there's no proof there's one, therefore there isn't one, so all religions are wrong. thats what i meant.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:44 pm
BSPBleach
Starr Struk
BSPBleach
personally, I think religion is seriously over thought. there's at least one being humans call god that created the universe. but there is no way to prove or disprove anyone's religion, therefor, they're all right. and if your peccmistic (or atheist,) they're all wrong. just my simple, well hated opinion.

Lol you confuse me.

well no. what i meant was you cant say one religion is wrong and yours is right since you cant see or hear god to prove one religion over another, so any religion is right. aethists and pessimistic people would say thats the exact reason why there isnt a god. there's no proof there's one, therefore there isn't one, so all religions are wrong. thats what i meant.

Ooooh okay I got you.
Sorry.
(:

Starr Struk

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm
Starr Struk
BSPBleach
Starr Struk
BSPBleach

Lol you confuse me.

Ooooh okay I got you.
Sorry.
(:

oh np! i often misword stuff the first time 'round and have to explain further  
Religion and Faith Forum [Debate, Discuss, Explain]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games