Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Human Communication to Anthropology

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:24 pm
Alright guys...

I've been thinking about this for a LONG time. I am a Human Communication major at my university. However, I am rather unhappy in my major (my classes are boring, the material isn't interesting, and I'm just overall disinterested in the subject now. I initially chose this major simply because I thought it'd help land some kind of job).

I've always had a knack for Anthropology, and I've always been fascinated with Primatology (study of Primates [lemurs, tarsiers, aye-ayes, bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas, etc]). I've only taken 2 Anthropology classes, but I'm already acquainted with much of the Anthro lingo. The problem with this major: I'd have to go ALLLLL the way to Ph.D. in order to do something meaningful in the Anthropology world. I'm willing to go the distance, but it's the money that is holding me back...

In my hands is the paperwork to officially declare my major as Anthropology and declare Human Communication as a minor. Should I sign it to make it official?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:00 pm
Wow, what a big decision... If you feel like you can go the distance, and pull the huge debt that is a PhD out of your a**, by all means sign it.

I personally couldn't do it, the debt would be to much, and the work involved... I'm to lazy >.>...

But good luck on your choice smile  

Sariou

Greedy Receiver

10,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:51 pm
My English teacher always told me that, despite the cost of her education, it was more than worth it, even though (with the credit card debt she had amassed) there was no way to pay her student loans within her lifetime. She seemed to talk about it as if money wasn't an issue.

Of course, this is still a difficult decision to consider. I suppose the real question is, which do you value more: financial stability or workplace/college happiness?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:20 pm
Happiness, hands down.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

mii jigoku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:44 pm
Go for it wink  
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers