=( hugs?
I'll hug you Blu ♥
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

Blufoo

Celestial Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:44 pm
Anyone have good advice on how to cope and/or get past psychological trauma? I'd prefer not to go into detail, but the only thing I can come up with is to quit my job to remove myself from the environment of the emotionally traumatizing event. I relive it daily (this has been going on for months), but I can't quit without finding something else first so I'm looking for alternative options...  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:54 pm
I'm usually an advice giver in these here parts, but I really can't think of anything specific based on the information given. Of course, I understand not wanting to tell complete strangers about something that affected you so greatly, but it's difficult to give relevant advice without completely knowing what it is that I'm giving advice for.

If you have not sought counsel of some sort already, such as talking with a psychologist or just someone close to you that you trust sharing such information with, then I would recommend that. There are also many communities out there on the internet that people set up as a means to talk to others who have had similar experiences to help get through their problems. Just doing a google search with keywords regarding your predicament should be enough to help you find them.

Other general advice is finding something that will take your mind off of things for a while so the memory isn't quite as fresh, such as taking up a hobby of some sort like sewing, writing, or painting. These things can also be used as an outlet for you to express yourself so that whatever is bothering you isn't just bottled up inside.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Liada Trovaras

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 pm
Wow this is an interesting question. I myself have not really been through anything of that kind of trauma but I have friends who have been through certain things possibly close to what you have experienced.

The most common suggestion is you can talk to your HR or someone who would know if there is a psychologist you could get counsel from. I hope I don't sound rude or like a b***h when I suggest this but there are people trained to help counsel those who have had something horribly traumatizing to them. So this is normally the most suggested option to take. Not to mention if this is happening in the workplace then this needs to be brought up immediately so that this hazing or harassment can be put to a stop. I'm honestly surprised that this has been going on for as long as it has. But overall if it has been as traumatizing as you say it has been to effect you so bad, Then just leaving the workplace isn't gonna work 100% for you. In the end one way or another, it would be highly recommended to speak with a counselor of some kind. Frak if you know someone you trust utterly and completely its always good to find solace on the shoulder of a friend.

Edit: ((It figures Tes beats me to being the first person to post here User Image ))

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:49 pm
First of all, hugs for Blu! heart

Getting counseling and talking with someone close is definitely the best advice. Also, starting a new hobby can really help give you something else to focus on, especially if it's something that requires thought outside of the time you actually spend on it. When my best friend died, I happened to be starting a new job at the time, and it required intensive training and practice. I found that it really helped me get through that time just because I spent so much time thinking about the training and practicing at home.

Other than the obvious, the only thing I can suggest without more detail would be finding a way to make yourself feel safer at work. The problem is not only the memory itself but the fact that you feel unsafe there. Find something happier to focus on that makes you more comfortable. Start a new ritual, even if it's something simple like drinking a coffee in a particular spot. Do something at a particular time each day that you can look forward to. You have to remind yourself that nothing bad's going to happen again. Give yourself control and fight the fear. Trite, I know, but it can work.

purpleravenhawk

Blufoo

Celestial Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 pm
Sorry it took me awhile to get back, needed to gather my thoughts.

I guess I should have been more clear or specific about what I've been through (without being detailed) and the things I have already tried since the whole horrible ordeal happened.

I was victimized at work by people that I had known for several years and thought were my friends. Mobbing is another term used for this type of behavior. It was all over a guy. This all happened from January 2010 until October 2010. While this was happening to me I tried to go to management for help with no support what-so-ever and nearing the end of the summer I ended up going to a psychiatrist to help deal with the situation. Many times I had thought about filing a complaint with HR, but it's one of those things where you tell yourself these people are supposed to be my friends. Right? Anyway, it all came to a head (as well as backfiring on them) when the guy (whom I also consider a tragic victim in all of this) thinking all of the garbage these people were spewing about me to him was true filed a harassment complaint on me. Being hauled in to HR was the final straw. I was totally mortified. I told that HR guy every awful thing that had been taking place from the beginning with documented dates, times, and detailed instances. I still to this day have no idea what these witches said about me to make him so upset. When I had confronted one of them about it during the time it all was going on she refused to tell me and just smiled with sickenly sweet grin. Well, the HR guy was plenty pissed off. He got the wrong person, but the damage was done. I voluntarily moved to another work location (which I had planned to do anyway) and apparently he continued his investigation until all guilty parties involved got reprimanded in some way. The original instigator was fired about two months ago and her accomplice to my understanding was forced into retirement. Karma. None of this makes me feel any better though. If they had just stayed out of my personal business in the first place none of it would have ever happened. I stopped seeing the therapist because it was getting expensive, they were pumping me full of pills, and I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere but broke and starting to really feel like a crazy person.

The reason I say I want to quit my job is actually for a variety of reasons. What happened and the fact I mentally relive it every day is a main one. I cycle through grief/sadness/loss and anger. They destroyed something so fragile and the loss to me was more than I think anyone could understand. I have been trying to keep myself busy unfortunately to the point of exhaustion and to compound it I have been recently diagnosed with CFS. I have been going for massage and that has actually helped a lot and she suggested I go for acupuncture too. I just have to find the place she was talking about (it was a school that charges less for practicing students).

I really appreciate the ideas you all have shared, I was just kind of hoping that someone might offer up a suggestion that I haven't tried yet. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:11 am
Oh my, that just terrible. I'm sorry that I can't be better help with that. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Humans are pretty much a majority of scumbags who have nothing better to do than pick on the weak.

If you don't mind me asking, what other things have you tried other than the massages and therapist that have made you exhausted? I'm trying to narrow down those options to help better give a list of what you might not have tried before.

Liada Trovaras

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:11 am
Yeah... the unfortunate thing about psychiatrists and clinical psychologists is that they are at times more quick to give you a drug rather than listen to your problems, hence why sometimes it's better to just talk to a friend or family member.

It looks like you're already doing your best to cope with it. This particular situation I can't think of any further advice that wouldn't sound condescending since I have a hard time comprehending it. I adopted the philosophy of not caring what other people say or think about me long ago.

Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games