Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
A whole $6.25? Wow.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

College textbooks
  = Overpriced
View Results

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:00 pm
I think college buyback book stores try to ******** you over. DX Without protection even.

As an English major, most of my books this semester were novels. I figured I'd get a dollar or two for each.

Lol. Yeaaaah. All buy three either weren't in the system or were overstocked, so I ended up getting $6.25. I'm really not sure what to do with the rest of the books now since I only tried to sell the ones that I don't ever want to read again.

They refused to buy my first roommate's book because there was a rip near the binding.

They didn't even buy The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. DX I can't tell you how much utter hate I have for that book (as a horribly inaccurate fable about the Holocaust that classes actually use to teach about the Holocaust - WHY?). I was going to be so happy when I no longer had that book. ;o;

I don't have room for the books I want to keep, much less the books I hate. I need to like make a list of the books and give them away or swap them or something.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:35 pm
Tell me about i. The college bookstores that pay you a buck will flip those same books for half the new price! The best way to make money off those books is Amazon or half.com, where people will be willing to shell out more than just chump change.  

Aaditya

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:49 pm
That, or the class will force you to buy a book customize for your university and the store won't buy it back, so you can't even sell it unless you can find someone that is taking that exact class. Ugh.

Science majors seems to get it the worse since the science books start out as way more expensive than other ones, it seems.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:34 pm
At least you can sell some of you books over there. Here we have to keep them, throw them away or give them to someone or some institution.
I always give mine away.

But that sucks anyway. Can't you sell them somewhere else?
I really don't know how that works u.u

Drunken Echoes

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:00 pm
That's stupid. No one tries to sell them on ebay or Amazon?

Most places I know probably won't buy them unless they thing a lot of schools are going to use the book. It wouldn't really be worth selling them on ebay or anything because they aren't worth the shipping, probably. I think I might try paperback swap and just get some other books in return. We'll see.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:15 am
PainfullyVivid
That's stupid. No one tries to sell them on ebay or Amazon?

Most places I know probably won't buy them unless they thing a lot of schools are going to use the book. It wouldn't really be worth selling them on ebay or anything because they aren't worth the shipping, probably. I think I might try paperback swap and just get some other books in return. We'll see.

Honestly I think people don't even try it.
I never did at least xD

Drunken Echoes

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:03 pm
I remember selling text books on half.com. I think the buyer paid for shipping there.

Those customized books seem like a waste. D:  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:53 pm
I'd build a bookshelf and keep them there, you never know when you're going to want to actually read them again. We all process information on our own I guess.  

Dilemical Epiphany

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff