Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Book Recommendations?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I have too many books, but it's okay.
  I have too much hobby stuff anyway.
View Results

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:20 pm
Without only (I hope, if I can find one) a parttime job this summer, I'm hoping to have time to actually read books I want to read instead of random crap that I'm not overly fond of.

So, are there any books, Suites, that you've read and loved and would recommend?

The only books I probably won't want to try are stories written by a series of journal entries, contemporary romance books (and most other books where the focus is only romance), and "Who Dun it?" books. I don't mine teen or kids books. I actually need to finish the Pendragon series since I read up until the last two, so I might as well finish the damn thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:25 pm
The Millennium series is pretty great, I couldn't put them down.  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

Cooa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:30 pm
The Clique series  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:22 pm
de.Lici.ous
The Millennium series is pretty great, I couldn't put them down.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series? I've looked at those, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to read about as much sexual violence that seems to be in there, and I'm not sure what I feel about the author using the name of the real girl he saw gang raped as a teen for the main character's name. But how much sexual assault is in there? Is it overly graphic? I'm assuming there is a strong message against sexual assault (since I can't see them being popular if there wasn't), but are all three books about her getting sexually assaulted? Not knowing the amount in it has made me wary of the books.

@Cooa
Thanks for the suggestion.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:04 pm
Wow, I don't know what you've heard about them, but they're nothing like that.
Lisbeth gets abused once but then uses the situation to black mail the guy who did it to her, and it wasn't that graphic, just enough to make you hate the guy who abused her. The books are more political than anything. The first book is a bit of a mystery over a family plot, but the last two books are completely based on political and social corruption and exposure.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:43 am
Oh. Okay. XDD The way everyone was talking about it made it seem like the whole entire series was about sexual assault and that was the entire point and theme. And they made it seem, apparently, like there was more sexual assault then there actually was. Well, good to know now. xD  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:05 pm
I think you should spend the summer reading Phillip K. d**k. 8D  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:01 pm
I have to ditto the Millenium series I couldn't put them down, Lisbeth is a really awesome character so you just want to keep reading.  

scrub
Crew

Dilemical Epiphany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:51 pm
Reading a book called Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks. Read the first page and couldn't stop. can't write an anecdote about it right now tbh :/  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 pm
I've been reading Goosebumps. Yes, those cheesy Twilight Zone knockoffs for kids. You can finish one in under an hour. They're like junk food for your brain! I read two or three at a time! mrgreen

Treasure Island is a pretty quick read. Oh, have you ever read Carmilla, by J.S. Le Fanu? It's from a larger book called Through a Glass Darkly, but dude. 19th Century lesbian vampires. It's AWESOME.

(Balance junk food with literature. ******** with people's expectations. ;3)  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

SykotikKytten

Precious Treasure

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:11 pm
C S Friedman - [Coldfire Trilogy]
James Clemens - [Banned and the Banished] and [Godslayer Chronicles] God i want the third book so badly to come out.
Peter V Brett - [Warded Man]
And anything by Brandon Sanderson, that man is a ******** genius.  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games