Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
One or the other! Whats the point!!!..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~*~
View Results

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:04 am
So here we go, I go looking for food low in sodium at the grocery store and get this! Everything that is labeled low cholesterol,low fat or low ANYThing happens to have an outragous amount of sodium in it. So what happens if you go looking for low salt? The exact same problem but in reverse, the products either have an outragously high fat or sugar content! You just can't find anything healthy in stores anymore not in the produce section! stressed  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:49 am
Depends really on your food selection. If you go for the microwave meals, then enjoy a sodium smorgasbord. There are some low sodium options, though, if you opt for cold cuts (no pickles though), as well as chicken meat. Adding fruits and veggies will reduce the amount of space your stomach has for sodium rich food as well. If you can live with it (I can't, oh God I can't), you should cut out soda, diet or not.  

Aaditya

SoLongAndFairWell

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:00 pm
unfortunatly that's how america is these days. You can never be satisfied with what you buy at the store. It's all insufficent  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:19 pm
You have to get REALLY creative to go for an ultra low sodium diet. My aunt and uncle are practically permanently rooted to the diet now because my uncle has to avoid heavy sodium intake for his heart. I think they just bought a bunch of low sodium recipe books and just cook everything they eat. Heavy on the fruits and veggies and nuts, extremely mild on the meats, and VERY lightly seasoned if at all. Also I have no idea how they managed it but they got this soy sauce that has practically no salt at all... it tasted really weird xD  

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:00 pm
Pringles makes some chips with 50% of the salt. I bought them to try. They taste very bland, but they don't seem to have added fat or sugar when they took away the salt. Popcorn is a low-sodium snack, but the kernels... ugh.

It is had to make changes. You can make your own soup broth with vegetables, chicken, and no salt, but dude, I've tried it and it was like three hours of work for one lousy pot of broth - and I STILL had to make the soup itself! D=  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:45 am
I just dump a chicken carcass and some random old veggies in a steamer (so I can easily strain it when it's done) and leave it on the stove for a few hours. Granted, you've got to do it when you're not ready to eat. Otherwise, you'll be sitting around hungry for a while. XD

I'm not fond of cooking, but I have to do it because processed food makes me physically ill. That's a pretty good incentive, I have to say. XD Although I now think it was the gluten that was making me sick. Try finding processed food without gluten that doesn't cost a fortune. There's a challenge for you. wink  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:39 pm
Processed food sucks. When I move back to an apartment in the fall, I need to start cooking more than I did last year. I actually did pretty well, but I did eat a lot of canned crap that probably wasn't good on the sodium level.

@Szen
That and corn. I'd hate it if I was allergic to corn. All the corn syrup that's in crap now. Ugh.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:31 pm
Yeah, I try to avoid corn syrup if at all possible, but it's nearly impossible to avoid it entirely, unless you make all your own condiments and such, and I'm not that ambitious. XD  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Annai-chansan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:30 pm
I don't have many dietary restrictions, but I try to eat healthily. Not too bad at it, I think, but I wish I could cook more (slightly restricted by whatever my parents decide to buy).

I bake a lot though. Hey, all-natural double chocolate chip cookies HAVE to be good for you right wink  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games