Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Being too nice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free gold
  MINE
View Results

BleedingInkXIII

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:21 pm
Apparently, according to my friend, Im overly nice, in a sense that I will hurt myself (emotionally and mentally) just to make sure another person is not. I always put others before myself (I will stay and listen to a friend when they trouble for the entire night up to the next day, even if I have sa major test the next day...not like I study or sleep anyway), and have trouble saying no (to helping with simple tasks or favors). She claims that I'm too chivalrous.

Of course, I know that there is not a sinlge human being out there that is not selfish, in some aspect, me included. I can be a total b***h, at times. But, my friends says that I'm not selfish enough when it comes to my personal happiness or time.

Is that okay? It's just the way I am. I treat people with respect when they need it...only it kinda takes its toll on me, sometimes.

What would you consider being "too nice"?  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:17 pm
It's always good to be nice. Be nice when you need to be nice and you'll know when that is, but sticking up for yourself and learning when to say no doesn't make you a bad person. Plus, it's always good to take care of yourself first because if you don't you can't expect to take care of others.

That's what my parents always told me.  

Xolramuh

Thirteenth_Floor

Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:15 pm
i do the same thing. yeah, it makes for a good character. people like you more, find you hard to hate. but sometimes, as i've learned recently for myself, you tend to let yourself suffer mostly because you view your own problems as lesser than everyone else's. it's good in terms that you have a great amount of empathy for what others need and the sympathy necessary to do something, but you can't ignore how you feel in relation to everything. cuz remember, no matter what problems everyone else has, you still have your own things that you might need to take care of. but i admire people that put others before themselves. nice
smile

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:15 am
i'm the same way my parents taught me to be like that, you'll be fine.  

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:39 pm
Don't judge me
Just love me.
I'm not a criminal, I'm innocent
So come and set me free!

I'm pretty much exactly like that.
I can be a b***h, and I don't have a hard time saying "no"
But when someone has a problem, I listen. No matter what.

And when I have a problem, sure I wanna talk about it.. But if my friend has a problem too.. i say "Screw my problem." cause their problems are more important to me than mine.... O_o

Though, yeah.. in some cases, it can hurt you, actually... it's hurt me a few times...
Cause one of my friends was talking about a problem that I could relate to... so i said so, and she didn't want to hear it :/ Probably cause I never act like i have a problem, nor do i even talk about it to anyone.
Anyway, we got into a fight over it... and then later we got into a fight about how I never talk about my problems...

So, yes, it's good to be that way... but sometimes it can hurt you...

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom
And the dance floor is my heaven.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:49 pm
sans-coeur13
i do the same thing. yeah, it makes for a good character. people like you more, find you hard to hate. but sometimes, as i've learned recently for myself, you tend to let yourself suffer mostly because you view your own problems as lesser than everyone else's. it's good in terms that you have a great amount of empathy for what others need and the sympathy necessary to do something, but you can't ignore how you feel in relation to everything. cuz remember, no matter what problems everyone else has, you still have your own things that you might need to take care of. but i admire people that put others before themselves. nice
smile

And thanks to everyone else that replied. :3  

BleedingInkXIII

BleedingInkXIII

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:55 pm
--Untoten Kase--
Don't judge me
Just love me.
So come and set me free!

And when I have a problem, sure I wanna talk about it.. But if my friend has a problem too.. i say "Screw my problem." cause their problems are more important to me than mine.... O_o

Though, yeah.. in some cases, it can hurt you, actually... it's hurt me a few times...
Cause one of my friends was talking about a problem that I could relate to... so i said so, and she didn't want to hear it :/ Probably cause I never act like i have a problem, nor do i even talk about it to anyone.
Anyway, we got into a fight over it... and then later we got into a fight about how I never talk about my problems...

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom

Yeah, I hear ya. My friends cme to me to talk all the time. It's a good thing that I don't seem to have as many problems as them, lol. But the occasional ones do come, and when they hit, they hit like a train wreck. :/

I tend to hide my emotions and problems. A lot. Even when I'm unhappy or tired, I don't show it. My general mindst is "oh well. I'll get over it."

It's great to be the strong one for everyone. But even the strong have their limits...

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:16 pm
DeathStarXII
--Untoten Kase--
Don't judge me
Just love me.
So come and set me free!

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom

Yeah, I hear ya. My friends cme to me to talk all the time. It's a good thing that I don't seem to have as many problems as them, lol. But the occasional ones do come, and when they hit, they hit like a train wreck. :/

I tend to hide my emotions and problems. A lot. Even when I'm unhappy or tired, I don't show it. My general mindst is "oh well. I'll get over it."

It's great to be the strong one for everyone. But even the strong have their limits...

Don't judge me
Just love me.
So come and set me free!

Mhmm... I practically hide everything i feel that isn't happiness...
You just need to be careful... the people you do this to will get used to it, and just won't like hearing your problems..

Just let them out bit by bit, or talk about them occasionally.... That's what I do so nothing really bad happens...

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

BleedingInkXIII

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:23 pm
--Untoten Kase--
DeathStarXII
--Untoten Kase--
Don't judge me
Just love me.
So come and set me free!

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom

Don't judge me
Just love me.
So come and set me free!

Mhmm... I practically hide everything i feel that isn't happiness...
You just need to be careful... the people you do this to will get used to it, and just won't like hearing your problems..

Just let them out bit by bit, or talk about them occasionally.... That's what I do so nothing really bad happens...

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom

I know there are people who will actually listen to me. I just don't like showing my emotions. Instead, I express them through my art. Its a lot easier for me. And of course, my art is rather dark. But at least my friends understand and are used to it. :3

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:24 pm
I want a tattoo(: 4laugh  

KittyDollKori

Feral Kitten

3,350 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Cat Fancier 100

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 am
This is exactly my problem. I have some friends who enjoy my politeness and are grateful for it, but then I have friends who realize that I'm too nice, and take advantage of it (whether they recognize that they're doing it or not). Recently, since I can drive, I've been one friend's chauffeur, In general, I do everyone a ton of small favors that add up to me having no time to do what I need to do and getting frustrated with everyone. Especially when I meet conflict when I don't want to do a favor.

My advice is, you can be too nice; know what your limit is, and say 'no' before you exceed it. Otherwise, your own personal feelings will get in the way of being nice and turn it into a confrontation.  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 am
as long as your happy with who you are i dont see a reason to change  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100