Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Server discrepancies

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:47 am
The strangest thing happened to me today. I've redesigned a website that was made at least 6 years ago, so it was terribly outdated. The company that it was hosted with are basically no longer in operation. I guess some of their servers were still running, as the old site was still live, but the cpanel did not exist anymore so it was impossible for me to check out anything on the old host.

The domain host was still current so I purchased new hosting and changed the name servers on the domain and waited for it to propagate. I had pre-loaded all the new website files to the new host so as soon as it switched over the new site would be live.

A couple hours later I noticed the new site was live so I started the job of submitting it to Google for crawling. A few minutes later, the cpanel on the new host wouldn't load, and the site had reverted back to the old site. It continued to switch back and forth between the old and new hosts for a couple of hours.

It now seems to have finally settled down with the new host, but it was the strangest thing and didn't make any sense to me... Once I'd changed the name servers, the domain should no longer have had any connection to the old host and servers. Has anyone ever had issues like this, or know why the servers would behave this way?  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:10 am
Sounds like the website was so accustomed to the way it once was, it wasn't quite ready to change. ^^  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 pm
Old database references could now be moot or ******** up now it's on a different server.
Honestly I can't be sure but that's the most likely thing to break from moving a website.  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:54 pm
scrub
Old database references could now be moot or ******** up now it's on a different server.
Honestly I can't be sure but that's the most likely thing to break from moving a website.

What do you mean? Once the name servers are changed, shouldn't it cut all ties with the old server?

I would have preferred to get on the old host and remove all the files myself, but it was impossible. It wouldn't have been possible to do a 301 redirect when the domain was remaining the same, would it?  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces