Submit

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:22 pm
last week i noticed a small lump on zeus' head on the side where his blind eye is.

on monday i left to stay with my sister because my dad was out of town and just got back home today. the lump on zeus is huge now, larger than his head and its on his neck a bit

i cant go to the vet, we just dont have the money right now because of all this house moving stuff and its not like we can put it off since we need to be out of the apartment soon otherwise we would take him to the vet right away

i can try asking my dad for money but im pretty sure he will say no since this is the same rat he has already spent $800 for in vet care

is there anything i can do at home?  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:01 pm
is it causing complications? cause,it sounds like an infection more than a tumor,you could maybe lance it,but,on his neck/head probably wouldnt be a good idea,maybe look for natural antibiotics?  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:12 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
is it causing complications? cause,it sounds like an infection more than a tumor,you could maybe lance it,but,on his neck/head probably wouldnt be a good idea,maybe look for natural antibiotics?

he is hardly eating and is acting miserable. i think i may have to look into putting him down, he hardly wants to move. he didnt even struggle when i stuck a needle in it

it is an infection, i poked a hole in it and tried to clean some of the puss out but i couelnt get much out. it smelled so bad i thought i was going to vomit  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:51 pm
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart

he is hardly eating and is acting miserable. i think i may have to look into putting him down, he hardly wants to move. he didnt even struggle when i stuck a needle in it

it is an infection, i poked a hole in it and tried to clean some of the puss out but i couelnt get much out. it smelled so bad i thought i was going to vomit
gonk gonk poor baby,if you could get most of it out,it would probably make him feel better,cause the pressure probably is keeping him from eating,if you cant,then putting him down would be the most humane thing to do sad  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart

gonk gonk poor baby,if you could get most of it out,it would probably make him feel better,cause the pressure probably is keeping him from eating,if you cant,then putting him down would be the most humane thing to do sad

i hardly got any out, i mean, i got a decent amount out but it didnt make a dent in the mass and took a while just for the little bit i did get.

i did a little research online just now and i read that rat puss is usually a bit thicker than human puss and gets those puss clumps easier so i may have to use something other than a tiny needle to break it open.

i dont know any place that sells lances. i might try a box cutter or something else super sharp, but the thinnest parts of skin look to be right near his eye and on his neck so i really dont want to mess up  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:04 pm
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart

i hardly got any out, i mean, i got a decent amount out but it didnt make a dent in the mass and took a while just for the little bit i did get.

i did a little research online just now and i read that rat puss is usually a bit thicker than human puss and gets those puss clumps easier so i may have to use something other than a tiny needle to break it open.

i dont know any place that sells lances. i might try a box cutter or something else super sharp, but the thinnest parts of skin look to be right near his eye and on his neck so i really dont want to mess up
you could try an exacto-knife,I have cut myself with them,I dont know where you could get a surgical knife,unless you KNOW a nurse or doctor....I dont think you can just BUY them anywhere,though,a box cutter would allow you to control how much of the blade is OUT so that might be the best plan....  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:09 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart

you could try an exacto-knife,I have cut myself with them,I dont know where you could get a surgical knife,unless you KNOW a nurse or doctor....I dont think you can just BUY them anywhere,though,a box cutter would allow you to control how much of the blade is OUT so that might be the best plan....

the fiance is going to borrow his dad's exacto knife, we plan on sterilizing the hell out of it of course  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:11 pm
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart

the fiance is going to borrow his dad's exacto knife, we plan on sterilizing the hell out of it of course
yea,you might want to boil it for like 5 mins,and douse it with rubbing alcahol,hopefully its sharp enough,that it just goes quick,usually they are,heck,when I stabbed myself in the leg with mine,it didnt hurt at all,I actually laughed,cause I was surprised,good luck with the poor dear,and please keep us updated!  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:14 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart

yea,you might want to boil it for like 5 mins,and douse it with rubbing alcahol,hopefully its sharp enough,that it just goes quick,usually they are,heck,when I stabbed myself in the leg with mine,it didnt hurt at all,I actually laughed,cause I was surprised,good luck with the poor dear,and please keep us updated!

thanks for the tip.

im really worried about cutting him open. ive popped things on animals before but ive never had to do any cutting on a live animal.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:29 pm
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart

thanks for the tip.

im really worried about cutting him open. ive popped things on animIals before but ive never had to do any cutting on a live animal.
I wouldnt CUT,I would hold my thumb,and just poke it,MAYBE a wee bit of cutting,but not much should be needed,as it should make a nice slit,you might think about looking for something to flush it with,and also maybe for some natural antibiotics,for the longer run  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:34 pm
800 dollars? wow, I think this rat has been VERY well taken care of.

If you have a microscope and microscope slides and a 25G needle and syringe I could suggest some things, but uh...otherwise, if you feel it, is it hard, is it in the muscle or can you get your fingers around it?

I don't think there's anything you can do though. Even if you could figure out if it was cancerous, you can't really treat it yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:08 am
we poked and only a little came out then we cut and still only a little came out. im starting to think that most of it is a tumor that just happens to have some puss. the pale part of the skin where i though was just thin with puss under it we think is actually dead skin. hardly anything came out and he didnt even react

@ gabby
the $800 was when pickles attacked him and he kept tearing out his stitches  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:18 pm
Shanna66
we poked and only a little came out then we cut and still only a little came out. im starting to think that most of it is a tumor that just happens to have some puss. the pale part of the skin where i though was just thin with puss under it we think is actually dead skin. hardly anything came out and he didnt even react
aawwee that does not sound good sad Im sorry Shanna  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:48 pm
Shanna66

@ gabby

A lot of people would not spend that much money on such a short lived animal. Hell plenty of people would not spend that kind of money on ANY animal. I know a woman who can't spend 200 on a skin biopsy for her cat who has been suffering from a horrible dermatitis for months.

Is it possible he had a lil cut over his eye, maybe from roughing it with another rat, that got infected?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:39 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Shanna66

@ gabby

A lot of people would not spend that much money on such a short lived animal. Hell plenty of people would not spend that kind of money on ANY animal. I know a woman who can't spend 200 on a skin biopsy for her cat who has been suffering from a horrible dermatitis for months.

Is it possible he had a lil cut over his eye, maybe from roughing it with another rat, that got infected?

i dont know  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff