Submit

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 am
Okay, here's the poop. My grandma comes over here all the time and screams at me saying I'm not giving the cats any water and it's soooo important for them to have pleeenty of water because she read that it helps their kidneys. I don't doubt that but she's taking it too far it seems like.
Because every time she screams at me, their water bowl is HALF FULL. Yes, they STILL have water- half a bowl of water, to drink. I think she's getting confused by plenty of water as in she thinks the bowl has to be all the way full 24-7. Excuse me for not looking at the water bowl every time they take a sip.
So my question is, is it REALLY NECESSARY for their water bowl to be all the way full 24-7.  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:05 am
I think as long as they always have access to clean water, they should be fine. I don't see why it needs to be full.  

Jeeed

Gaian

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:57 am
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

lolwut. What she's saying is like saying she can't finish her drink if the cup is only halfway full. Maybe you should put it that way to her. If the water's still in there, they can still drink it. Having more water available doesn't increase how much they drink.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:32 pm
First off, you're a positive thinker (you said the bowl was half full)

Second, this is going off human anatemy so excuse me if it's wrong, if a cat drinks too much water they'll basicly drown in their own bodies, it's called water poisoning.

Third, the thing about water helping kidneys apllies to all mammals, including humans.  

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:37 pm
Your G-ma is taking it to far, since there is still water sitting around in a bowl.

Yes as many people pointed out to me cats have very poor thirst drives, so they do get dehydrated mroe it seems than other animals.

I know at my friend's house the cats don't have a bowl of water since they refuse to drink standing water... normally the bath tub is turned on to a trickle and the cats go into the tub to drink their water. if it isn't on, you have a cat bugging you while you are trying to go to the bathroom or trying to wash your hands. XD  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:33 pm
Sounds like a good excuse to splurge on one of those cat water fountains. They encourage drinking, keep the water from getting stale, and will hold more water so less nagging from Grandma.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Jeeed

Gaian

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:07 pm
Pent and Ten
First off, you're a positive thinker (you said the bowl was half full)

Second, this is going off human anatemy so excuse me if it's wrong, if a cat drinks too much water they'll basicly drown in their own bodies, it's called water poisoning.

Third, the thing about water helping kidneys apllies to all mammals, including humans.
Most creatures will stop drinking water or throw up before water poisoning occurs razz  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games