Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Don't Say Gay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bollier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:23 pm
A few weeks ago, someone posted a link in this forum providing information about Tennessee's "Don't Say Gay" bill, prohibiting teachers from discussing homosexuality in schools. In case you haven't heard, George Takei has spoken out against this bill.

See the vid here.

It's good to see someone standing up against this. BTW, I totally want that shirt! blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:29 pm
having the same poblem here on brasil and this is a polemical subject , my teacher of portuguese language are homosexual , i know im not gay , but im i like , but I like to see the happiness of homosexuals

and this past days had a series of attacks on homosexuals, because of homophobia

but I am in favor of talking about homosexuality in schools,

to see if this stuff does not happen again

(srry if u don't understand , im not too good on english XD)  

KrenkoH2

Unleashed Duelist

18,900 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

TylerAnnihilate

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 pm
Essentially what Shadow Hawk Hydeyasu is saying (for those of you who couldn't understand) is that he's a LGBT-Ally.

Thank you Shadow Hawk Hydeyasu. It's good to see straight LGBT supporters out there.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:55 pm
That. Video. Was. Hilarious.
I never even knew George Takei was . . . Takei. XD

But in regards to the more serious subject of the "Don't Say Gay" bill, I'm glad that someone well-known is standing against it.  

Atrum_Anima

patanon

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:26 pm
Totally thought this was going to be about something else rolleyes
Anyway, still a good topic. Do they honestly think that "the gay" will magically go away if no one ever talks about it? Do they think it's some sort of evil spell that inflicts homosexuality on young minds simply by speaking the evil word?  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:30 am
snapxdragon
Anyway, still a good topic. Do they honestly think that "the gay" will magically go away if no one ever talks about it? Do they think it's some sort of evil spell that inflicts homosexuality on young minds simply by speaking the evil word?

those fools have no idea how we really recruit people to the gay side xd

i dont get it either, parent will let their kids watch r rated movies when they are 12 but are afraid to expose them to gay people?  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:45 am
Atrum_Anima
That. Video. Was. Hilarious.
I never even knew George Takei was . . . Takei. XD

But in regards to the more serious subject of the "Don't Say Gay" bill, I'm glad that someone well-known is standing against it.

George Takei was the Master of Ceremonies at the Gay Olympics in Chicago a few years back and opened the Pride festivities as well. He's always been a great supporter and speaker for LGBT rights (as well as the most awesome part of the original Enterprise crew even if did give him a Chinese name- in the Japanese dub, he has a Japanese name)

I too find the "Don't Say Gay" bill ridiculous and offensive.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 am
Shanna66
snapxdragon

i dont get it either, parent will let their kids watch r rated movies when they are 12 but are afraid to expose them to gay people?

lol we just wave our hands and shout "Shablagoo!!!"

xd nah just kidding. im just glad there's a stand against this bill. Those people are idiots if they think it's really bad for children to know about homosexuality. it's human nature...deal with it  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:17 am
Wolf of the Western Wind
Shanna66
snapxdragon

xd nah just kidding. im just glad there's a stand against this bill. Those people are idiots if they think it's really bad for children to know about homosexuality. it's human nature...deal with it

I laughed so hard at your siggy LOL  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:05 pm
Sin Error
Wolf of the Western Wind
Shanna66
snapxdragon

I laughed so hard at your siggy LOL

So did I XD Love Glee heart

Lol, yeah. I don't feel completely hopeless just by knowing that so many people oppose the bill. Sometimes it feels like the whole world is against us.  

patanon

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 am
Wolf of the Western Wind
Shanna66
snapxdragon

lol yeah!

your siggy is win btw. my fiance kept checking nearly every day to see if it was back on  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:49 pm
How many people here have actually read the bill?
This was posted about in the bisexual guild a while back- when you read the bill- all it says is that all materials relating to "Human Reproductive Science" will be age appropriate- and it only effects kids between grades k-8.

The Bill itself does not undermine any lessons against bulling people because of their orientation, it doesn't effect people who are within 2 years of the age of consent to keep them from asking about homosexuality- it just says that classes on reproductive science won't include how to perform homosexual sex- kind of like how evolution class doesn't teach creationism.

A Gay friend of mine (who hadn't read the bill) was really upset- because it furthers "heteronormative thinking"- but this is where the whole "Age Appropriate" aspect comes in. The ages being targeted- when it comes to basic psychological development, on average are not in a position to relate to the kind of interpersonal relationships people have tied to their sexual identity- at best that starts to come in at the stage that falls just out of the range the bill effects.

Will there be precocious kids? Sure- but our public education system isn't focused on that- and anyone who has ever had to develop a lesson plan knows you can't go off on tangents or you'll loose the focus of your class and they won't learn.

Also- something that is really insulting to some dear friends of mine- is this strange assumption that being Gay or Lesbian means that human reproductive science isn't something that should matter to them. Of the LGBT couples I know personally who have kids- all of them were conceived the old fashioned way. The reason Human Reproductive Science is even taught to kids in this age range is because it's an explanation of the biological changes their bodies are going through. It's not like getting your Gay-Card revokes your fertility as my dear friend pointed out.

The ironic thing is this bill spawned a study to see if it was even an issue.

The bill does not prevent teachers from saying homophobic bullying is wrong. The bill does not prevent teachers to referring young children to councilors if they have questions that can't be answered in class- all the bill does is restrict Human Reproductive Science classes to just that-.

Lastly- we're talking about kids who on average aren't even old enough to log onto this website- Gaia is a PG 13 site- most of the kids this bill effects can't join- so anything that skirts the Terms of Service for appropriateness on this site is considered inappropriate for kids in question. I'm part of the kink threads on Gaia- I'm sex positive, but at some point you have to admit that exposing children to sexuality before they're ready is unhealthy- it can undermine their sense of safety and make them uncomfortable.

Sexuality is a beautiful thing- and it should be enjoyed by people who can consent to it and presented at an age where it's appropriate.

There are 2 things I wish people would take away from this- 1) Read the laws and don't buy the hype. 2- I would like to see an age appropriate class for high schoolers on "Love and Intimate Relationships" introduced in health class to teach about the different kinds of interpersonal and romantic relationships out there.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

cvbkfgbkjmgbcj

Timid Darling

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:15 pm
Quote:
The Bill itself does not undermine any lessons against bulling people
Also- something that is really insulting to some dear friends of mine- is this strange assumption that being Gay or Lesbian means that human reproductive science isn't something that should matter to them. Of the LGBT couples I know personally who have kids- all of them were conceived the old fashioned way. The reason Human Reproductive Science is even taught to kids in this age range is because it's an explanation of the biological changes their bodies are going through. It's not like getting your Gay-Card revokes your fertility as my dear friend pointed out.

And it's not like you can't be raped if you're lesbian...  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games