Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Newest obsession (Tailless Whip Scorpions)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:23 am
Squee I totally know what I want to get next. I've seen them before but never really stopped to consider if they were something you could actually pick up in the pet trade ---> Tailless whip Scorpion

I'm so in love right now. They are like mantis spiders... only not of course. <3

I've always wanted to do a large natural looking tank set up and now I finally know what sort of critter I will be getting for it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:40 am
dude,for some reason "dave crickets" come to mind when I see those xD I wonder if they pinch,and if so,if it hurts,also,I would love to get a scorpion,only I want one of the large black ones xP (with a tail of corse)  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:19 am
Cowgirl-with-heart
dude,for some reason "dave crickets" come to mind when I see those xD I wonder if they pinch,and if so,if it hurts,also,I would love to get a scorpion,only I want one of the large black ones xP (with a tail of corse)
Their claws although somewhat menacing looking are solely meant for hunting smaller critters. If you really harassed and grabbed one to the point they thought they were in a life and death struggle they might attempt to pinch you but even then I would say a hermit crab pinch would probably be more painful. These little guys have zero venom so not much to their bite either. From what I've read I would consider them even more docile than my mantises though you have to be careful with handling because they are very fast and skittish so you don't want to risk them falling and snapping a leg.

One of the things that really interests me about them is they display social behaviors and can be communally kept. I would love to get a large set up and watch their interactions. I'm so very excited about these guys even if it will probably be a while before I am able to get any.

They are arachnids, but despite their name they aren't actually scorpions.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:32 pm
Krissim Klaw
Cowgirl-with-heart
Their claws although somewhat menacing looking are solely meant for hunting smaller critters. If you really harassed and grabbed one to the point they thought they were in a life and death struggle they might attempt to pinch you but even then I would say a hermit crab pinch would probably be more painful. These little guys have zero venom so not much to their bite either. From what I've read I would consider them even more docile than my mantises though you have to be careful with handling because they are very fast and skittish so you don't want to risk them falling and snapping a leg.

One of the things that really interests me about them is they display social behaviors and can be communally kept. I would love to get a large set up and watch their interactions. I'm so very excited about these guys even if it will probably be a while before I am able to get any.

They are arachnids, but despite their name they aren't actually scorpions.
ooh I see,I have seen them before,going by a different name I thought it was cave crickets,but its not Dx  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:47 pm
Oh my gosh! I have wanted one of those for SO long. Pretty much since Harry Potter redface (I know, I know... I get all mad at people for getting pets after seeing them in movies, but I am a hypocrite.). Amblypygi! In fact, I had to really fight with myself not to buy one THIS WEEKEND because I was at an exotic pet store by Salt Lake while visiting the aquarium (doing a story about World Turtle Day) and they had them! I haven't seen them in stores ever before, though I have thought about ordering one online from the same guy who sold me my roaches. But then I remembered I have no money.

But I didn't know they were social! Now I am going to have to get a FEW someday! And, not shockingly, they will be named after Harry Potter characters. hee hee!  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:31 pm
Kipluck
Oh my gosh! I have wanted one of those for SO long. Pretty much since Harry Potter redface (I know, I know... I get all mad at people for getting pets after seeing them in movies, but I am a hypocrite.). Amblypygi! In fact, I had to really fight with myself not to buy one THIS WEEKEND because I was at an exotic pet store by Salt Lake while visiting the aquarium (doing a story about World Turtle Day) and they had them! I haven't seen them in stores ever before, though I have thought about ordering one online from the same guy who sold me my roaches. But then I remembered I have no money.

But I didn't know they were social! Now I am going to have to get a FEW someday! And, not shockingly, they will be named after Harry Potter characters. hee hee!
I was reading a really interesting study on some of the social dynamics on them. It is especially interesting mother to offspring relationships and sibling to sibling relationships they have for the first year. As they age into adulthood they become more independent although can still be housed together if given enough space.

I would love to get a pair so I could see the girl carry her babies but I have no idea what I would do with all of them as they started to get older. I could always cull extra babies to my mantids, but I don't think there is any way I would have the heart to do that, especially if they all hoover around mama when I come for them. gonk

I want to get a fairly massive set up though, the 36" x 18" x 36" Exo Terra Tank.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 am
ah ha! thats where I have seen them! Harry Potter xD poor guy sad I felt so sorry for the one in the movie,even tho hes comp generated xD  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games