Free Roaming Rattie

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:25 am
Actually BOTH rats are out, but Aida's days of getting into trouble seem to be behind her. And even when she did that doesn't compare to the hyperness of Blaze. Who likes to explore my ENTIRE room, and even that doesn't seem like enough space for her. And since she doesn't have an exercise wheel she tried to use my elliptical trainer lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNkNdh6L8c  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:55 am
Have you thought about hiding her food/snacks around your room before letting her out? Seems like a critter that would appriciate that sort of enrichment.

Also, you haven't seen free roaming till you have seen a loose mantis hang in the exact same spot, all day, and night. Okay, guess I should call it free sitting instead...  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:47 am
Krissim Klaw
Have you thought about hiding her food/snacks around your room before letting her out? Seems like a critter that would appriciate that sort of enrichment.

Also, you haven't seen free roaming till you have seen a loose mantis hang in the exact same spot, all day, and night. Okay, guess I should call it free sitting instead...

They have a ball that dispenses treats when they roll it. Though I think they are tired of the treats I use. But I need something small enough that will fall through the wholes. I think I'll stop at bulk barn, pick up some dried fruits, seeds, nuts, etc. Lol, as I'm typing this, Blazie who I was letting wander my desk (that I recently set up with hides for them is crawling all over me. I love it when they have the run of my room and choose to come see me biggrin aannndd the moment's over. Gone to explore the rest of the room. No matter how much I make my desk into a playground for them, it's just not enough to keep them from running off on me  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:05 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

They have a ball that dispenses treats when they roll it. Though I think they are tired of the treats I use. But I need something small enough that will fall through the wholes. I think I'll stop at bulk barn, pick up some dried fruits, seeds, nuts, etc. Lol, as I'm typing this, Blazie who I was letting wander my desk (that I recently set up with hides for them is crawling all over me. I love it when they have the run of my room and choose to come see me biggrin aannndd the moment's over. Gone to explore the rest of the room. No matter how much I make my desk into a playground for them, it's just not enough to keep them from running off on me
Hahaha makes me think of when my mantises come over to visit. Other day Tinkerbell climbed across my desk, up the side of my bunk-bed, across the top, then decided to crawl back down the bed, back to my desk, and start creeping in my direction. Next thing I knew I glanced over and she was perched on my rootbeer bottle that was right next to me and was reaching out to my arm. She said hi, then proceeded to crawl over to my computer and back across my desk. Usually they don't roam much but both of the girls were getting ready to lay oothecas so they were getting all roamy in search of the perfect spot. Merlin laid hers the other day and is back to her usual chillax self but Tinkerbell still hasn't laid one. I have her all set up in her cage so hopefully soon. I'm always nervous about the first one since I worry if everything will go okay. They haven't been bred but they still expend a lot of energy when they lay their ooths.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am
Krissim Klaw
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Hahaha makes me think of when my mantises come over to visit. Other day Tinkerbell climbed across my desk, up the side of my bunk-bed, across the top, then decided to crawl back down the bed, back to my desk, and start creeping in my direction. Next thing I knew I glanced over and she was perched on my rootbeer bottle that was right next to me and was reaching out to my arm. She said hi, then proceeded to crawl over to my computer and back across my desk. Usually they don't roam much but both of the girls were getting ready to lay oothecas so they were getting all roamy in search of the perfect spot. Merlin laid hers the other day and is back to her usual chillax self but Tinkerbell still hasn't laid one. I have her all set up in her cage so hopefully soon. I'm always nervous about the first one since I worry if everything will go okay. They haven't been bred but they still expend a lot of energy when they lay their ooths.

They're laying stuff in your room? confused lol, I'd be so scared of squashing a mantis. It's bad enough with rats. I should NOT have a desk chair on wheels. Every time I go to back up there's a rattie right there. This is why I'd love it if they stayed on my desk. They are always in sight, I know where they are, they're easy to grab if I need to put them back in a hurry. But no... Aida will still simply cause she lacks the courage to attempt an escape. Blaze just jumps, without thinking twice about it. There is NO WHERE this rat can't get too.  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:06 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

They're laying stuff in your room? confused lol, I'd be so scared of squashing a mantis. It's bad enough with rats. I should NOT have a desk chair on wheels. Every time I go to back up there's a rattie right there. This is why I'd love it if they stayed on my desk. They are always in sight, I know where they are, they're easy to grab if I need to put them back in a hurry. But no... Aida will still simply cause she lacks the courage to attempt an escape. Blaze just jumps, without thinking twice about it. There is NO WHERE this rat can't get too.
Lol no I have them do the actual laying in their cage. Not that an Ootheca would really be that messy if they did lay in my room, but I prefer them safely tucked away where they won't be disturbed during the actual process. They just tend to get really active and want to roam a few days prior to when they are ready to lay.

I am not that worried about squashing. The nice thing about mantises is they almost always go up so no real worries about stepping on them and stuff like that. Generally they are very predictable in their movements and if they decide they want to move from my desk they almost always end up crawling up the side of my bunk bed and settling on a mask that is hung on the post and has some horns that make a nice perching spots. Merlin has been out since yesterday and she hasn't budged from her content perch on her exo terra plant I have sitting on my desk. 99.9% of the time I still put them away in the cages before going to bed but I was up late last night and got lazy so let her keep her comfy spot.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Looks fun! smile I wish I could let my rats roam freely in my room, but there's a lot of crevices that I'm afraid of them disappearing into and we have tons and tons of wires (a lot of them IN those crevices and my boyfriend is super paranoid about wire chewing).

And wouldn't you know it, they actually do love to explore the areas I manage to block off in this room. But when I lived in a house and we pretty much had no wired electronics in our bedroom, they hated exploring in there and would just perch on me eyeing everything.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games