Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ghub

3,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 pm
My dog is twelve years old already ; . ; He's still in good shape for his age, and he gained weight only slightly. So that's good. But what are some everyday procedures I can do for him to make him stay healthy? Also, what do most dogs die from when they reach an old age?  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:29 pm
What kind of dog do you have? Smaller dogs tend to live longer than large dogs, but my rotti that had hip dysplasia lived to 12 so I don't think its something you should worry about too much.

Keep him on healthy food with correct portions, get him checked up on at the vets and inquire on whether he needs pills for his heart or his joints or anything like that.

And also, I'm not sure on this, I think generally just getting old is what kills them. In my experience, I've had dogs with cancer, previous conditions, weak/old hearts, and one that was even suicidal.  

JosephineReally

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • First step to fame 200

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:31 pm
One tip is to feed a good brand of food, especially when he's old. Ground yellow corn isn't good for carnivorous animals (like dogs) period, but especially when they're older and they are really needing the benefits of a good diet.

There's a lot of dog food review sites out there that can help you pick out a good food, if you aren't already feeding him excellently.

Also really want to make sure he stays hydrated. Some animals, particularly cats, often drink more if they have flowing water rather than stagnant.

Also look out for dental health, as especially old dogs are prone to having problems in that area.  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:32 pm
JosephineReally
What kind of dog do you have? Smaller dogs tend to live longer than large dogs, but my rotti that had hip dysplasia lived to 12 so I don't think its something you should worry about too much.

Keep him on healthy food with correct portions, get him checked up on at the vets and inquire on whether he needs pills for his heart or his joints or anything like that.

And also, I'm not sure on this, I think generally just getting old is what kills them. In my experience, I've had dogs with cancer, previous conditions, weak/old hearts, and one that was even suicidal.

I have a German Short-haired Pointer, so he's medium I guess. (: But thanks, that's all the information I need.  

ghub

3,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

JosephineReally

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:38 pm
Naia Kou
JosephineReally

I have a German Short-haired Pointer, so he's medium I guess. (: But thanks, that's all the information I need.

Not a prob smile I looked them up and they live to 14 years according to the Dog Bible but I've heard of large breeds living past what they are expected if they are kept healthy.  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:20 am
Providing there are no health issues that need treating then keeping an old animal reasonably active [both mind and body] without asking too much and providing good quality food, plenty of water and a comfortable and stress free living environment should do the trick.

Moth Feathers was particularly right about dental health...poor dental health can cause a lot of problems so it is really worth keeping on top of that.  

Skeksis

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:00 am
I agree with what has already been said. A GOOD quality diet free of by-products with few grains (preferably no corn) high in omega 3 with some added glucosamine would go a LONG way. It might cost more than what you feed currently, but it will save money in the long run as it generally will prevent many health issues.

Exercise is really the key to good health. As someone who does canine sport and knows lots of working dogs, it's incredible to see the life span difference in dogs who have been athletic all their lives. For an older dog, a long leisurely walk, or preferably swimming if that's possible.

Muscle contains protein and your immune system NEEDS protein, so a lean dog with some muscle mass will be better equiped to deal with any illness than a sedentary dog.

I would suggest going to a store that sells JUST pet foods and accesories (no grocery stores!) They often have scales where you can monitor your pet's weight. Ask them to suggest a good senior food. (In these types of stores, the employes are usually very educated in nutrition, even more so than some vets) and any good suppliments they might carry. A probiotic suppliment might be a good idea.

Regular vet check ups are very important for a senior animal. My cat has been seeing a vet twice a year ever since he hit 11yrs old. They were able to detect the beginning of what may be kidney disease and knowing that I can slow the progression of this disease with specific diet and possibly add years to his life. Doing blood tests regularly will help you catch whatever illness he might get while it's still treatable.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:55 pm
Moth Feathers
One tip is to feed a good brand of food, especially when he's old. Ground yellow corn isn't good for carnivorous animals (like dogs) period, but especially when they're older and they are really needing the benefits of a good diet.

There's a lot of dog food review sites out there that can help you pick out a good food, if you aren't already feeding him excellently.

Also really want to make sure he stays hydrated. Some animals, particularly cats, often drink more if they have flowing water rather than stagnant.

Also look out for dental health, as especially old dogs are prone to having problems in that area.

Thanks a lot. I already know about the corn thing from a book a saw at the vet's, haha, it was a picture book.
Also, my dog likes to drink out of the pool. Urgh, I know. I tried to put up a fence around the pool, but then he wont drink at all. He just refuses to drink from his water-bowl or anywhere other than the pool. So maybe i'll try the flowing water. Thanks so much :>  

ghub

3,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items