Reply 20. ✿ - - - Debating
Discuss: Age Differences Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tobejulietssecret

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:53 am
I was just wondering what you girls think about age gaps when dating.

Some people say you should take your age , divide by two and then add seven,
and then that would be the youngest age you should date.
(E.g: 18/2 = 9. 9+7 = 16.)
What do you think about this?

How many years difference do you think is suitable, and how many years difference is too many?
I realise this can depend on the ages of the individuals (e.g - 35 and 40 is generally accepted, but not 15 and 20)
and other circumstances such as what kind of relationship it is (casual dating, sexual etc)

I'd really like to know how you ladies feel about this, as it's something that's been on my mind recently.

I had a quick flick through the debate pages, and I didn't see one of these, sorry if I missed it, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:38 am
I personally hate large age gaps...they're something that sort of freaks me out o.o although I think five or six years should be the max difference between two people, if they're both over 18  

Cherry-x-Sorbet

Tipsy Guildswoman

LacrymosaVampiress22

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:54 am
im okay with age gaps. i usually date 2 years younger or 2 years older then me. but like now that im 18 i wont go with anyone younger unless its okay with the parents(cuz you can get in trouble)  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 am
I don't think age gaps are really that much of a problem to me. I have a best friend who has a crush on someone nearly 3 times her age. But I'm not going to tell her she's no allowed to like him. Love is love. The most important thing in a relationship is trust. Of course, I think for me, a 2 year age gap isn't much of a big deal. My parents are 3 years apart. The time when age gaps seem really creepy is when you're under the age of 18 and you're dating someone above that age. But, you can't be having sex with someone older thaan 18 and you're younger than that, ya' know.  

gas powered stick

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 am
Generally speaking, after everyone is of a legal age then there really is no big deal with age gaps. For me personally, I won't go more than 3-4 years younger and 2-3 years older. That's a wide enough range for me and I don't feel awkward around people in that age range. If I really liked someone enough though, I probably wouldn't care what their age was as long as they were okay with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:03 am
If you are under 25, you should have been able to go to the same high school, so four years. If you're both over 25, I don't think it matters. You are both mature enough to decide for yourself, no one is being taken advantage of.  

Kaiyle Brightblade

catsoon

Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 am
Sometimes I believe in the whole half your age plus 9 thing, but it doesn't always work. For example:

If a 16 year old was going by that rule, then 16/2= 8+9= 17.

So that rule is saying that a 16 year old has to date at least a 17 year old, which makes no sense considering a 16 year old can ALSO date a 15 or 16 year old.

Does that make sense? >.>

As for age gaps, I think that it can be about a three year difference when you're teenagers, and when you both become of legal age then I think that the gap can be up to 10 years, maybe even more.

:3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 am
I think it depends on the maturity level. For instance, it's acceptable for a 50 year old to date a 40 year old, but it's not acceptable for a 15 year old to date a 25 year old. That's because the maturity level is not so different and then extremely different.

I think that two to three years older when you're younger is good, and then maybe only one or two years younger when you're younger is good. Did that make sense? At all xD?

Hikaruhia

Romantic Browser

17,700 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150

Lady Kira X

Caring Cleric

10,300 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 am
As long as my dad or mom don't date/ marry anyone my age.. I don't give a s**t. The rest is none of my business.

As for me.. My fiance is 25 ( 26 in august ) & I'm 19 turning 20 in 9 days. We've been together since I was 14.

We will probably be getting married next year too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm
I would say many people think that if your under 18 you should date someone 1-2 years older/younger as the most. I believe this is for maturity levels, but I think I know many people who are mature enough and under the age of 18 so I would say just not 20 years apart is fine.  

ade4

6,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100

Tsiklop

Dapper Humorist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:59 pm
I go by the As Long As It Isn't Illegal rule.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:42 pm
You all make valid points.

I'd have to say I agree with this one the most, though:

Monochrome Monster
I don't think age gaps are really that much of a problem to me. I have a best friend who has a crush on someone nearly 3 times her age. But I'm not going to tell her she's no allowed to like him. Love is love. The most important thing in a relationship is trust. Of course, I think for me, a 2 year age gap isn't much of a big deal. My parents are 3 years apart. The time when age gaps seem really creepy is when you're under the age of 18 and you're dating someone above that age. But, you can't be having sex with someone older thaan 18 and you're younger than that, ya' know.

Please keep those opinions coming, it's interesting to hear all these different views on the matter. (:

tobejulietssecret

Melody Trinity Ann

Shy Cutie-Pie

9,000 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 am
Honestly? I think age shouldn't be an issue. Now, I'm not saying that it's okay for a 14 year old to go and date a 25 year old. Well, I mean, they COULD date, as long as they didn't have sex. But seriously. What 25 year old man is going to wanna wait to have sex? But seriously. People mature at different ages. It's not really fair to say that a 16 year old isn't "mature" enough to date a 20 year old. I was extremely mature at 16. But maybe that's because I HAD to be. Generally speaking, 16 year olds aren't really that mature. But my current bf was 18 when we met. And I was only 14. We didn't date back then, of course, we started dating when I was 17. But we didn't have sex.

And if you go by that standards, let's say a 14 year old is dating a 16 year old. And yes, they are having sex. According to the law, if they are still together, they have to stop having sex because he turned 18 two years later and she's still considered a minor. That is bull. But I know that the law is there to protect children and all that.

Wait..I think I just went on like a HUGE rant! Hahah. But the main point is that an age gap can be a good thing...sometimes. Okay, yeah...I'm done. lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:48 pm
User Image
User ImageUser Image

I dont have a problem with any age gaps really. It really should be those people making their own choices for their own life.

User ImageUser Image  

The Forbidden Soul

Kawaii Sentai

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:14 pm
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

No more than five years for me.

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces