Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Politics and Debates
Internet censorship around the world

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:03 am
Censorship. We're all familiar with the term yet we do not often consider it in our daily lives. Many of us live in the United States, Canada, of the United Kingdom (sorry, just listing out the majority so don't get offended if you're not in one of those three xD) - nations that are often considered, at least in the eyes of the young and innocent, to be beacons of hope for a free world. What we often do not consider is the prevalence of censorship in the developed world, including those nations mentioned prior, and especially with regard to the internet. The internet, the global network of personal computers, servers, and databases, is the last great bastion of free thought and free information in the world and yet it is being threatened by the 'leaders' of democracy itself. As some of you may well know, the newest action against the internet in the United States (which is where many online companies and large websites make their home) is the PROTECT IP Act. The PROTECT IP Act falls just short of total and complete censorship of the internet in its present form: It would allow not only the United States government but also private companies to file former complaint and attempt to take down websites that are deemed harmful to copyright before the site owner is even aware of what is happening. Other acts of censorship stem from the DMCA and other laws enacted with good intentions - protecting against theft of ideas and loss of copyright revenue for artists - but that have fallen short or been misguided into tools of censorship against legitimate business, alternative software, researchers, security testers, and even the consumers themselves. The United States is not alone though - far from it actually - and it is but a ripple in the swirling sea that threatens internet freedom worldwide.

Below is a listing of nations (excluding small island nations because I'm lazy) by continent and their censorship levels relative to that of a completely free internet as of April 2009 - I will include updates that I remember. You may be surprised by some of these.

Definitions:
Internet "Black Hole" - The censoring of the internet is so heavy and total that access to most 'daily' sites for the West, such as Facebook, Youtube, and others, is heavily monitored or nonexistent. Most web access must go through a proxy server in another nation. News and media online is often under total government control.

Internet Watchlist - Actions in legislation against internet access, either presently or in the recent past, have gained media attention from outside nations. Actions taken by the government in these nations may, in the near future, threaten to plunge the nations on the watchlist into the "Internet 'black hole'" category. Internet access and regulation may be fairly heavy on controversial issues; significant warping of news media is often present.

Some Censorship - Access to many sites known for torrenting or piracy may be restricted, along with possible limitations on access to government workings that should otherwise be public, some twisting of news outlets online, and similar restrictions.

Little or no Censorship - Access to the internet is generally regulated by private companies for internet service and search engines; there is little or no government interference on content.

Africa

Internet 'Black Holes' - Tunisia and Egypt. Both nations heavily censored access to the internet or cut it off entirely in just the past three years; open revolt and government protesting were present. Egypt is currently or has recently finished instating a new leader. While formerly 'black hole' status, the current level of censorship in these nations is unknown.

Internet Watchlist - Eritrea

Some Censorship - Algeria, Burundi, Ethiopia, Ghana, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Uganda, and Zimbabwe

Little or No Censorship - All other nations (lazy again)

Asia (for ease of grouping I am including Australia and Oceania in the listing for Asia)

Internet 'Black Holes' - Burma, China, Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam. China is famous for its 'Great Firewall' that blocks access to nearly all US sites including Facebook and YouTube. Many use proxies or VPNs to get around the firewall. Turkish citizens are currently protesting the cutoff of access to Google's services, including the search engine itself and YouTube.

Internet Watchlist - Australia, Bahrain, India, Malaysia, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, and New Zealand. Australia, India and New Zealand have recently enacted or reinforced laws that heavily regulate content (Australia and India) or impose harsh restrictions on access to information (New Zealand).

Some Censorship - Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Fiji, Georgia, Indonesia, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Oman, Maldives, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Taiwan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan

Little or No Censorship - All other Oceanic nations, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, Mongolia, the Philippines, and Paupa New Guinea

Europe

Internet 'Black Holes' - None yet

Internet Watchlist - Belarus, Greece, and Russia. Large protests and governmental suppression have arisen in the past year in Greece.

Some Censorship - Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom

Little or No Censorship - Albania, Andorra, Bosnia-Herzengovia, Croatia, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, San Marino, and Vatican City

North and South America

Internet 'Black Holes' - Cuba

Internet Watchlist - The United States. Due to the approval of the PROTECT IP Act and the passage of it into the US Senate for voting, the level of censorship in the US is on a thin edge. A tip in the wrong direction, the passage of PROTECT IP, could land the US on the 'black hole' list.

Some Censorship - Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, French Guadeloupe, Guiana, Martinique, Peru, and Puerto Rico

Little or No Censorship - All other Antillies Islands nations, Belize, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Chile, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Suriname, Uruguay, and Venezuela  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 pm
I say death to censorship, no matter the cost.  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:30 pm
this is something that I really enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftx2_KQd1JI&feature=related  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:55 pm
I'm strongly against internet censorship but at the same time, I'm not too worried about it either. I know there is legislation pending in the Senate, but with the House having such a large Republican majority, I don't believe a bill granting the government the right to censor the internet will pass and if for some reason it did, I know that a huge repeal movement would arise from both members of Congress and the people of this country.  

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:54 pm
You'd be surprised what can go through if the right words are used. It's still on the edge - nothing is official yet - but it's worth watching at the same time.

With censorship, it only takes one - it only takes one victory for it, one piece of legislation in favor of it, one silencing of the public outcry against it - for the powers pushing censorship for them to win. We as a people must continuously push it back and repel it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:39 pm
It's a little scary to think how close we are to complete government control. I've been noticing it in relation to other things besides censorship as well.

What happened to democracy?  

Belladonna Kitsune

7,400 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100

The Laziest Czar

6,100 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:32 am
The steel tastes so sweet,

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Me and around 50 other people at my highschool will throw down any hopes, but grab Anonymous colours and defend our right to information; if this passes.
We've got Ion Cannons, Lulz, and nothing to lose at our disposal.
US Government, mad yet?
I give up, I admit defeat.

Politics and Debates

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces